• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Seems we have a few on here including me and Sypgril. I gave up meat a few years back because I found it fucked my guts up in anything other than small quantities and due to a long standing dislike of factory farming methods. What about others?

I'm a vegetarian, for some 25 years now. I sort of miss meat but couldn't bring myself to eat it now as I hate the thought of something dying just so I can eat it. It would appear that vegetarians have far less likely hood of contracting serious health issues like cancer and dementia so that alone makes me think I made the right choice all those years ago.

Edited by Strawberry

13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Seems we have a few on here including me and Sypgril. I gave up meat a few years back because I found it fucked my guts up in anything other than small quantities and due to a long standing dislike of factory farming methods. What about others?

well,they normaly tell you within 5 minnutes of meeting them that they are i only know 2 has real life friends and both smoke and are fat so i doubt they are doing it for health reasons

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

well,they normaly tell you within 5 minnutes of meeting them that they are i only know 2 has real life friends and both smoke and are fat so i doubt they are doing it for health reasons

:D

If they're from YORKSHIRE then that's two "essential" pieces of info you'll get in the first minute or so!

4 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

whenever asked by vegetarians, if i'm one of them I reply:

"I'm a 'level two vegetarian"... and when they ask "what's a level two vegetarian?" I reply by saying

"Well you know how vegetarianism is eating plants, fruits and vegetables?... I simply eat the things that eat the plants, fruits and vegetables"

Yup. Me too.

I don't fly or travel huge distances so I am happy with my carbon footprint to include the consumption of animals.

24 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

:D

If they're from YORKSHIRE then that's two "essential" pieces of info you'll get in the first minute or so!

What if they're also a doctor? That's a lot of info to get across in the first 30 seconds.

21 minutes ago, Lone Lurker said:

Exactly, low fat vegi diet almost killed me.

Nearly the same - lack of protein meant I was wasting away.

My ideal weight is fourteen stone and after ? eighteen months of being veggie I was down to eleven and a half stone with bad skin and my lip would split and bleed in cold weather.

I didn't actually want to start eating meat again but I accepted that I had to do so.

3 minutes ago, This Time said:

Because eating pure gluten is such a great idea.

It's madness really. The things they do to something to make it look and taste like meat. 
I guess it's 'mock duck' from the chinese - that's gluten in a tin. 

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Nearly the same - lack of protein meant I was wasting away.

My ideal weight is fourteen stone and after ? eighteen months of being veggie I was down to eleven and a half stone with bad skin and my lip would split and bleed in cold weather.

I didn't actually want to start eating meat again but I accepted that I had to do so.

You could probably just replace meat protein with vegetable proteins and take a multi-vitamin to get things like zinc and iron, but I suppose that defeats the purpose. The problem I have with vegetarianism is that it makes you fat and unless you eat raw fruit and veg you will eat things that are as unhealthy as eating too much meat such as sugar, wheat, beans and pulses which all have to be processed and detoxified before we can eat them safely.  I think everything in moderation although I would rather not eat meat if there was a healthy alternative that could provide the benefits of meat without the murder.

49 minutes ago, JFK said:

Pescaterian, been so for about 20 years, rest of family too.

My daughter has been pescaterian for the last six years. She’s staying healthy and cooks a lot for herself from scratch.

I tried it myself but I went back to eating meat after a short time for no other reason than I like meat a lot.

I’m pescatarian though when my daughter is visiting me or I’m at her place. It’s easier than cooking two different things!

1 hour ago, stokiescum said:

Wel, I’m not fat and most people haven’t even noticed I’m a vege as I never mention it unless I absolutely have to.

23 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

seitan is the new thing apparently.
You can make it at home.

You need some of this  https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/gluten-1kg.html

Seitan or Satan as it is more properly called is vile!

I've been vegetarian for about 20 years because I like animals and find meat disgusting. That may be related to having french family who eat things like brain and tete de veau :Sick1:.

Tried being vegan for a year but felt ill so went back to vegetarian diet. I think different diets suit different people. I have had no problems had high iron levels throughout pregnancy without any supplements don't often get ill and I'm not fat.

My husband eats meat and the times he eats huge amounts he smells awful to me as he gets a rotting death smell.