• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
the gardener

Oven cleaning

Thought I'd just share with you just how damn good the pyrolitic cleaning function on my new Miele oven is.

It should more properly be called, the "take off and nuke it from orbit" mode.

I've had it a couple of months and am quite lazy about wiping it down regularly so it had accumulated quite a lot of brown, sticky deposits on all the surfaces. Thought I'd try the cleaning cycle. My God it worked wonders and it's just like new. Every speck of staining and crud met a fiery death in the 3 1/2 hour, 400 degrees Celsius nuclear holocaust mode.

It also cooks everything to perfection, an absolutely outstanding oven. It's a bit pricey but considering an oven is used every single day of your life and affects the quality of meals you consume, it's cheap at half the price.

It's a Miele H2267BP. About £800.

Buy one.

Now.

1 minute ago, the gardener said:

Thought I'd just share with you just how damn good the pyrolitic cleaning function on my new Miele oven is.

I've had it a couple of months and am quite lazy about wiping it down regularly so it had accumulated quite a lot of brown, sticky deposits on all the surfaces. Thought I'd try the cleaning cycle. My God it worked wonders and it's just like new. Every speck of staining and crud met a fiery death in the 3 1/2 hour, 400 degrees Celsius nuclear holocaust mode.

It also cooks everything to perfection, an absolutely outstanding oven. It's a bit pricey but considering an oven is used every single day of your life and affects the quality of meals you consume, it's cheap at half the price.

Buy one.

Now.

A Miele you say?  @Carl Fimble will be along to rag you about it. xD

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

A Miele you say?  @Carl Fimble will be along to rag you about it. xD

Nah, it's only you I poke when you mention Miele. 

We have a Neff (I know, I know!) with a pyrolytic cleaning function, haven't used the cleaning mode yet but this thread might well be enough to get me to give it a go.

Timely thread, our 12 year old Bosch is going to need replacing soon. I've always swerved anyway from Miele because of the upfront cost (I remember seeing a £2000 washing machine!).

8 minutes ago, the gardener said:

Buy one.

Now.

wont it melt other appliances its stood next to if it gets that hot it cleans itself ? or is that just the inside....if so i think youve got a case under the trades description act.

8 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

We have a Neff (I know, I know!) with a pyrolytic cleaning function, haven't used the cleaning mode yet but this thread might well be enough to get me to give it a go.

Oooh get you with your pyrotechnic oven. :P

11 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Think I have got one of those as I haven't cleaned the bugger inside other than the glass door for 18 years.

They are bloody fantastic when I think of all the turkey twizzlers and oven chips that have been cremated within it.

Smegtastic and that's not the knobs.

37 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Timely thread, our 12 year old Bosch is going to need replacing soon. I've always swerved anyway from Miele because of the upfront cost (I remember seeing a £2000 washing machine!).

That`s the top end ,my mother has a mid range one it`s still going strong after 20+ years ,i have replace a pump and a inlet valve,it`s sounds as good as the day it was bought 

I wish I hadn’t opened this thread. It’s reminded me I HAVE to clean my oven. I’ll have to do it because mine is basic with no fancy self cleaning function.

At least I have a frost free fridge and freezer so I don’t have defrosting on the to do list!

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

I had a Bosch double oven in my old house and it was very good. The pyrolytic cleaning function wasn't up to scratch though, never removed the sticky gunk at all. It also had these removable, micro perforated side panels that were meant to self -clean and not gunk up but seemed to me to be pointless, never looked clean and shiny, and were impossible to wipe down.

2 hours ago, the gardener said:

Self-cleaning oven - bought one 3 years ago (Bosch). Maybe 100 notes more than the non-cleaning version, but will more than pay for itself in time saved not being down on my knees scrapping crud out of it. And yes, it does work.

Edited by DeepLurker

I haven't used my for a couple of years....

A colleague bought a house where everything was a state and the oven was terrible.  He booked a professional oven cleaner to come out and clean it and when they arrived they took one look and said "No charge for the call but I can't clean that - just buy another oven" :D

I got one where you are supposed to pool water at the bottom and steam it. Haven’t been arsed to do it yet - anyone else got that feature?

To add, I can thoroughly recommend the following Miele products I own:

Dishwasher £700 (mid to high range model G1550SC?) - 11 years old and going strong. 2 x 10 pence replacement O rings on inket valve.

Washing machine - £450 base model W500, about 13 years old. Replaced heating element after 8 years. £22.

Tumble dryer - heat pump model - £1000. 5 years old - absolutely brilliant and cheap to run

Cat and Dog vacuum cleaner - I've had about 3 Miele vacuums over the years. If it was just me I'd still be using the original but my wife abuses them badly (e.g never changes the bag or runs them without a bag). Current one is two years old. They are all excellent.

I don't work for Miele but just appreciate  stuff that is good quality and does an excellent job.

Edit: Forgot the Miele larder fridge (actually badged Liebherr but it's the same as the Miele but £200 cheaper). Great fridge - roomy and with 3 drawers with different humidity for different products.

Mile chest freezer. 10-12 years old. Cheap to run and does the job.

Edited by the gardener

1 hour ago, Dipsy said:

We've got a Miele fridge (gift from MIL). So far it's about 13 years old and running smooth. But the door handle is spring-loaded and the spring broke a few years back - €100 for a new door handle, or €30 for just the metal spring O.o Oh and the veg drawer cracked, so I looked at replacing it - over €100 O.o

So, so far I'm not convinced. If it lasts another 13 years with no further bits breaking, I might become a Miele fanboy :)

2 hours ago, stokiescum said:

wont it melt other appliances its stood next to if it gets that hot it cleans itself ? or is that just the inside....if so i think youve got a case under the trades description act.

Nope - they have extra thermal insulation so it's not really hot on the outside when running the self-clean.

On the other, it stinks a lot when cleaning (think of meat fats being burnt).

1 minute ago, DeepLurker said:

We've got a Miele fridge (gift from MIL). So far it's about 13 years old and running smooth. But the door handle is spring-loaded and the spring broke a few years back - €100 for a new door handle, or €30 for just the metal spring O.o Oh and the veg drawer cracked, so I looked at replacing it - over €100 O.o

So, so far I'm not convinced. If it lasts another 13 years with no further bits breaking, I might become a Miele fanboy :)

espares and the like. Off the scale cheaper. Never try to buy bits of fridge from manufacturer except perhaps more critical parts, but door springs and vege drawers, nope.

6 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Buy a similar spring for pennies and it'll do the job. Bit trickier with the veg drawer but I expect some superglue would work.

I fashioned a replacement spring for the internal mechanism of my front door handle from a paper clip a few years back. It's still going strong. Just takes a bit of ingenuity/bodging and you can avoid paying over the odds for common parts.

Edited by the gardener

2 hours ago, Dipsy said:

Baumatic

2 hours ago, the gardener said:

Buy one.

Now.

You are like Google, spying on me through my phones microphone. Yesterday I was having a conversation with my wife about what oven we should buy for the new kitchen! What commission are you on?

44 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Nope - they have extra thermal insulation so it's not really hot on the outside when running the self-clean.

On the other, it stinks a lot when cleaning (think of meat fats being burnt).

so it just cleans itself inside,em.

Just for reference I have a Mrs Onlooker, which with sustained and repeated nudging, does occasionally clean the oven. She also has a pyrolytic function, whilst cooking. Having installed a mid price upgrade shortly after getting her, she now also self cleans*.

* If she ever logs on and reads this I may discover her previously well hidden homicidal functionality....

1 hour ago, the gardener said:

I had a Bosch double oven in my old house and it was very good. The pyrolytic cleaning function wasn't up to scratch though, never removed the sticky gunk at all. It also had these removable, micro perforated side panels that were meant to self -clean and not gunk up but seemed to me to be pointless, never looked clean and shiny, and were impossible to wipe down.

Yes the self cleaning function isn't that good. Mind you when we bought the house the grubby gits who owed it before us had clearly never cleaned it so it was asking too much for it to cope with 7 years of cooking debris. We got a professional oven cleaner in and use the self clean fairly regularly but it's still not that effective.

28 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Just for reference I have a Mrs Onlooker, which with sustained and repeated nudging, does occasionally clean the oven. She also has a pyrolytic function, whilst cooking. Having installed a mid price upgrade shortly after getting her, she now also self cleans*.

* If she ever logs on and reads this I may discover her previously well hidden homicidal functionality....

Mrs Plan has a paralytic function. Is that similar?

But never whilst cooking. She is not qualified to cook.