• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
null;

Royal Mail: Stop posting crisp packets without envelopes

31 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

If you were actually genuinely concerned about your impact on the planet then there is only one course of action open to you.

Are you suggesting burning down the Walkers' crisp factory?

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Are you suggesting burning down the Walkers' crisp factory?

No.

I mean they should consider removing any impact on the planet now and in the future.

These people are morons that never lived in the olden days.  They don't remember opening crisp packets to find the crisps slightly not crisp.  The introduction of metallised polypropylene (or whatever it is) is a magnificent progress that has only made crisp eaters happy.  

If they have a complaint it isn't that crisp packets are wasteful.  They're actually perfect for their job.  Their complaint is actually that there are far too many people eating crisps, but they're too stupid to notice.  As it stands they'll just ensure that everyone keeps on eating crisps in ever increasing quantities, but will be slightly more unhappy with their experience.

I'll do my bit for the planet -- I'll eat fewer crisps and I hope everyone here will do the same (I'm sure it'll be from a low base).  But, whenever I do eat crisps, I'll bloody well delight in having a modern crisp packet that keeps everything tasty, even if it can't be recycled*.

[* even if it does make me a Nazi.  I just don't care.]

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Wouldn't it be easier for Royal Mail to tell us Gary Lineker's address so that people can go around there and stuff them in his letter-box?

You know, that's a great idea. Only I don't like Walkers Crisps, so I'll post my used Hula Hoops packets to him.

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/gary-linekers-house-1/view/google/

2 hours ago, null; said:

Interesting idea, shame I've boycotted walkers crisps but if I find any on the street I'll be posting them.

Sorry for the So-Called BBC link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-45638416

I'll just clarify that if I post any back its not because of concerns over them not being recyclable, it's because I've boycotted Walkers due to Gary Lineker, I would add a comment to that effect.

18 minutes ago, dgul said:

These people are morons that never lived in the olden days.  They don't remember opening crisp packets to find the crisps slightly not crisp.  The introduction of metallised polypropylene (or whatever it is) is a magnificent progress that has only made crisp eaters happy.  

If they have a complaint it isn't that crisp packets are wasteful.  They're actually perfect for their job.  Their complaint is actually that there are far too many people eating crisps, but they're too stupid to notice.  As it stands they'll just ensure that everyone keeps on eating crisps in ever increasing quantities, but will be slightly more unhappy with their experience.

I'll do my bit for the planet -- I'll eat fewer crisps and I hope everyone here will do the same (I'm sure it'll be from a low base).  But, whenever I do eat crisps, I'll bloody well delight in having a modern crisp packet that keeps everything tasty, even if it can't be recycled*.

[* even if it does make me a Nazi.  I just don't care.]

Well put. I'm a big believer in recycling, but only when it makes sense to do so. The mantra used to be Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Making things recyclable or 'bio' degradable can have undesirable consequences. For example, higher energy inputs or plastcis that degrade into tiny particles that enter the food chain and our lungs.

3 hours ago, spunko said:

Worth reposting this BTW.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/01/02/someone-has-been-sending-used-toilet-paper-to-gary-lineker-in-the-post-for-20-years-6356056/

Someone has been sending used toilet paper to Gary Lineker in the post for 20 years

20 years? Wow, they truly had insights most of the rest of us have only gained in the last couple of years.

This really shows the power of the So-Called BBC doesn't it? The Blue Planet plastic episode overly dramatised the issue with plastics (especially in relation to this country), and has triggered significant shouty ignoramus and look at how virtuous I am activists.

Plastics dreamed up as the new green issue since climate change was losing its hold on people.

Edited by Alonso Quijano