• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Masked Tulip

Extraordinary or convenient British Airways IT outage?

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Flights cancelled. Supposedly an IT outage.

Or is it because of a real terrorist threat to BA flights that the security services are not telling is about?

Glad you're with this one TMT.

My understanding is that no matter what, BA will always fly its LHR - JFK route at the very least. 

To cancel every flight is just not credible.

What is being said on the twatosphere?

6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Flights cancelled. Supposedly an IT outage.

Or is it because of a real terrorist threat to BA flights that the security services are not telling is about?

Ya know what, that never occurred to me. Seems so obvious now.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Glad you're with this one TMT.

My understanding is that no matter what, BA will always fly its LHR - JFK route at the very least. 

To cancel every flight is just not credible.

What is being said on the twatosphere?

Well, it is cancelled now. Last time was the Blair getting the army to Heathrow IIRC and before that 911.

Middle and junior IT staff will believe what a small core of senior techies tell them - maybe a core architecture team of just half a dozen or less.

Occam's Razor.

So could it be something more than a IT glitch?

Hey wasnt all baggage witheld on friday due to a "carousel failure"? (at gatwick)

2 days running and baggage is being witheld from flights? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Would not surprise me if all these raids have uncovered info that points towards a BA attack.

On the aviation forums people talking about BA outsourcing its IT.

But one or two people asking why other airlines are not being affected when BA uses the same booking / ticketing services as other airlines.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

20 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

So could it be something more than a IT glitch?

Hey wasnt all baggage witheld on friday due to a "carousel failure"? (at gatwick)

2 days running and baggage is being witheld from flights? 

I find it hard to believe that a global organisation such as BA does not have a distributed global system - it must have - otherwise there would be shut-downs like this happening all the time. The data would be distributed locally so that global regional hubs could continue working if one was down.

Of course, it is possible that there is some major feck up or some major hacking underway.

But, as I said above, perhaps they have uncovered intell about an attack on a BA flight - or flightS - or they fear the missing bomb that they suspect is out there might be used.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Various news reports saying people are being advised by BA to go home and claim compo online,

and other reports asking people not to travel to the london airports due to huge passenger congestion issues on site

Must be really miserable to be stuck in there, let alone trying to exit the place and get back home. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

I was just going to post exactly this in the islamifiaction thread. Deeply suspicious. You get these kind of embarrassing cock ups in start ups ( eg, gitlab.com outage in Feb) that haven't established the proper process and procedures and disaster recovery is very much an ad hoc manual thing. For a company like BA it's incredible.

I see two possible causes.

BA have totally screwed their IT and have no back up or failsafe system.

BA have credible Intel that there is a bomb on the plane.

It is a sign of the times that I find the second option more credible (but only just)

TFH time, but it would be argued that if it wasn't an IT failure it would be very hard to cover up as a lot of techies would know about it.

BUT what if there was a kill switch built in to be used in such an event only known to a few people.

Is it better for BA to be thought incompetent, or to be thought to be carrying bombs?

the So-Called BBC article on this says that ba flights in other countries are delayed. So, it seems that it is only uk flights that have been completely grounded. Given this, my money is also on option two 

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

It is a sign of the times that I find the second option more credible (but only just)

TFH time, but it would be argued that if it wasn't an IT failure it would be very hard to cover up as a lot of techies would know about it.

BUT what if there was a kill switch built in to be used in such an event only known to a few people.

Is it better for BA to be thought incompetent, or to be thought to be carrying bombs?

BA's share price will be hit on Tuesday... but imagine how worse it would be hit if one or more BA aircraft were blown up this weekend. Doesn't bare thinking about - the loss of life I mean.

I think, for BA, the economic lesser evil is grinning and baring it, losing the money in lost flights and reimbursing people.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

It's best not to fly BA or Aeroflot! The meals are shit!:CryBaby:

I recall my first early morning flight on KLM and being offered a choice of chocolate cakes, biscuits and other chocolate... for breakfast. Then I booked into my first Dutch hotel and the following mornng being surprised to see so much chocolate in the restaurant as much as there were sausages and eggs.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

BA's share price will be hit on Tuesday... but imagine how worse it would be hit if one or more BA aircraft were blown up this weekend. Doesn't bare thinking about - the loss of life I mean.

I think, for BA, the economic lesser evil is grinning and baring it, losing the money in lost flights and reimbursing people.

Cynically, I would imagine that the ba executive will be more concerned with share prices than the loss of life if a couple of planes are brought down.

i guess that unless they have to do a controlled explosion on a runway, we will never know the truth on this one. 

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

3rd.

BA (or the bigger groups, whatever it is) outsourced all there computers to Tata at the end of last year.

Whatever savings they had planned for the  next 10 years they probably lost today.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

I recall my first early morning flight on KLM and being offered a choice of chocolate cakes, biscuits and other chocolate... for breakfast. Then I booked into my first Dutch hotel and the following mornng being surprised to see so much chocolate in the restaurant as much as there were sausages and eggs.

Those Belgians are "up to something"!

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

3rd.

BA (or the bigger groups, whatever it is) outsourced all there computers to Tata at the end of last year.

Whatever savings they had planned for the  next 10 years they probably lost today.

Why would a steel manufacturer be running it systems?