• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Masked Tulip

Extraordinary or convenient British Airways IT outage?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Flights cancelled. Supposedly an IT outage.

Or is it because of a real terrorist threat to BA flights that the security services are not telling is about?

Glad you're with this one TMT.

My understanding is that no matter what, BA will always fly its LHR - JFK route at the very least. 

To cancel every flight is just not credible.

What is being said on the twatosphere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Flights cancelled. Supposedly an IT outage.

Or is it because of a real terrorist threat to BA flights that the security services are not telling is about?

Ya know what, that never occurred to me. Seems so obvious now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Glad you're with this one TMT.

My understanding is that no matter what, BA will always fly its LHR - JFK route at the very least. 

To cancel every flight is just not credible.

What is being said on the twatosphere?

 

Well, it is cancelled now. Last time was the Blair getting the army to Heathrow IIRC and before that 911.

Middle and junior IT staff will believe what a small core of senior techies tell them - maybe a core architecture team of just half a dozen or less.

Occam's Razor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So could it be something more than a IT glitch?

Hey wasnt all baggage witheld on friday due to a "carousel failure"? (at gatwick)

2 days running and baggage is being witheld from flights? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would not surprise me if all these raids have uncovered info that points towards a BA attack.

On the aviation forums people talking about BA outsourcing its IT.

But one or two people asking why other airlines are not being affected when BA uses the same booking / ticketing services as other airlines.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

So could it be something more than a IT glitch?

Hey wasnt all baggage witheld on friday due to a "carousel failure"? (at gatwick)

2 days running and baggage is being witheld from flights? 

 

I find it hard to believe that a global organisation such as BA does not have a distributed global system - it must have - otherwise there would be shut-downs like this happening all the time. The data would be distributed locally so that global regional hubs could continue working if one was down.

Of course, it is possible that there is some major feck up or some major hacking underway.

But, as I said above, perhaps they have uncovered intell about an attack on a BA flight - or flightS - or they fear the missing bomb that they suspect is out there might be used.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Various news reports saying people are being advised by BA to go home and claim compo online,

and other reports asking people not to travel to the london airports due to huge passenger congestion issues on site

Must be really miserable to be stuck in there, let alone trying to exit the place and get back home. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going to post exactly this in the islamifiaction thread. Deeply suspicious. You get these kind of embarrassing cock ups in start ups ( eg, gitlab.com outage in Feb) that haven't established the proper process and procedures and disaster recovery is very much an ad hoc manual thing. For a company like BA it's incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see two possible causes.

BA have totally screwed their IT and have no back up or failsafe system.

BA have credible Intel that there is a bomb on the plane.

It is a sign of the times that I find the second option more credible (but only just)

TFH time, but it would be argued that if it wasn't an IT failure it would be very hard to cover up as a lot of techies would know about it.

BUT what if there was a kill switch built in to be used in such an event only known to a few people.

Is it better for BA to be thought incompetent, or to be thought to be carrying bombs?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the So-Called BBC article on this says that ba flights in other countries are delayed. So, it seems that it is only uk flights that have been completely grounded. Given this, my money is also on option two 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I see two possible causes.

BA have totally screwed their IT and have no back up or failsafe system.

BA have credible Intel that there is a bomb on the plane.

It is a sign of the times that I find the second option more credible (but only just)

TFH time, but it would be argued that if it wasn't an IT failure it would be very hard to cover up as a lot of techies would know about it.

BUT what if there was a kill switch built in to be used in such an event only known to a few people.

Is it better for BA to be thought incompetent, or to be thought to be carrying bombs?

 

 

 

BA's share price will be hit on Tuesday... but imagine how worse it would be hit if one or more BA aircraft were blown up this weekend. Doesn't bare thinking about - the loss of life I mean.

I think, for BA, the economic lesser evil is grinning and baring it, losing the money in lost flights and reimbursing people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPin said:

It's best not to fly BA or Aeroflot! The meals are shit!:CryBaby:

 

I recall my first early morning flight on KLM and being offered a choice of chocolate cakes, biscuits and other chocolate... for breakfast. Then I booked into my first Dutch hotel and the following mornng being surprised to see so much chocolate in the restaurant as much as there were sausages and eggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

 

BA's share price will be hit on Tuesday... but imagine how worse it would be hit if one or more BA aircraft were blown up this weekend. Doesn't bare thinking about - the loss of life I mean.

I think, for BA, the economic lesser evil is grinning and baring it, losing the money in lost flights and reimbursing people.

Cynically, I would imagine that the ba executive will be more concerned with share prices than the loss of life if a couple of planes are brought down.

i guess that unless they have to do a controlled explosion on a runway, we will never know the truth on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I see two possible causes.

BA have totally screwed their IT and have no back up or failsafe system.

BA have credible Intel that there is a bomb on the plane.

It is a sign of the times that I find the second option more credible (but only just)

TFH time, but it would be argued that if it wasn't an IT failure it would be very hard to cover up as a lot of techies would know about it.

BUT what if there was a kill switch built in to be used in such an event only known to a few people.

Is it better for BA to be thought incompetent, or to be thought to be carrying bombs?

 

3rd.

BA (or the bigger groups, whatever it is) outsourced all there computers to Tata at the end of last year.

Whatever savings they had planned for the  next 10 years they probably lost today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

 

I recall my first early morning flight on KLM and being offered a choice of chocolate cakes, biscuits and other chocolate... for breakfast. Then I booked into my first Dutch hotel and the following mornng being surprised to see so much chocolate in the restaurant as much as there were sausages and eggs.

Those Belgians are "up to something"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

3rd.

BA (or the bigger groups, whatever it is) outsourced all there computers to Tata at the end of last year.

Whatever savings they had planned for the  next 10 years they probably lost today.

Why would a steel manufacturer be running it systems? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Lone Lurker
      Norse Attack Map
      Being an IT numpty, I have no idea what is really going on here, but it is fascinating to watch.
    • By Chewing Grass
      Its very hard to find numbers on this but the last couple of pages of this 10 page report have the info needed.
      Total generating capacity on a cold still evening excluding imports was 55GW.
      Mild winters since 2011 means peak demand has dropped by 10-15%, however the numbers in the graph are not peak demand which was 52GW last year and 53GW the year before, both not cold winters by any stretch of the imagination.

      Generating capacity available for this winter is as below.

      Strip out renewables and 54GW is available at 100% plant capacity.
      Add hydro and a short burst of storage and we get 58GW.
      Remember they hide these figures by using average demand not peak figures.

       
       

    • By The Masked Tulip
      This deserves its own thread.
      IT worker, 31, who was beaten up in savage late-night attack issues crystal-clear images of 'man who attacked her' after slamming police CCTV as 'terrible
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4994554/Traumatised-woman-31-releases-pictures-attacker.html
       
      Police released photo on the left. The two coloured photos are the ones that the attacked woman released herself

       
       

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.