• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dipsy

Films that you have only just around to watching

What films have you only watched years after release and enjoyed?

I went to a "20th anniversary" showing of The Big Lebowski - loved it, so many laugh out loud moments. 

Saw... can't recall the name... one word title space film with Bullock and Clooney... about 7 or 8 months ago. Enjoyed it.

Starting watching 'Game of Thrones' last year having come across some funny clips on YouTube - the trial of Tyrion Lannister when he was talking about waving his snake in the soup. Then I saw a few Hound "C*nts!" and beheadings and I was having hooked.

So only came to that about 7 years after everyone else.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Saw... can't recall the name... one word title space film with Bullock and Clooney... about 7 or 8 months ago. Enjoyed it.

Starting watching 'Game of Thrones' last year having come across some funny clips on YouTube - the trial of Tyrion Lannister when he was talking about waving his snake in the soup. Then I saw a few Hound "C*nts!" and beheadings and I was having hooked.

So only came to that about 7 years after everyone else.

Gravity? 

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

That's it. Must have looked better in the cinema than on my 12 yr old 32 inch Sony. But I enjoyed it. Have a bit of a thing for Sandra.

Saw it in the pictures. Graphics were very good on a big screen 

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Return of the Jedi

Saw it about a month ago when house sitting for my parents.  I finally got the Jabba the Hut and Princess Leia in a metal bikini references / memes that keep cropping up.

I remember Leia in a metal bikini, but I don't recall Jabba in one.

I happened to first see From Dusk to Dawn (George Clooney / Harvey Keitel / Salma Hayek) vampire film in about 2004; Iit was released in the 90s.

I mentioned it down the pub in Switz and the Chinese guy there was close to being offended that it had taken me nearly ten years to see a film.

There is a particular Chinese thing about seeing a film as near as damnit after its release which manifests itself with bootlegs and even filming in the cinema back in the day.  I worked briefly with another Chinese bloke back in the late 90s who was exactly the same.  He just had to see big films straight after release and ideally bootleg.  He could not understand my attitude that I would see it in a few years and probably at Christmas so I'll enjoy it then.

It seems to be a similar view that they have with property - whatever else they are they must be brand new.

Saw that one with Josh Brolin about drugs on the US - Mexico border recently. Had a single word title. Just made a sequel. Seemed good. Spoilt by some hysterical female FBI character who wanted to 'do the right thing' acter witnessing CIA killing a drug gang.

This one from 1941 I have seen before; but because  it was bought by Sky in the early 80s( I assume)  I hadn 't seen it for 40 years or so. Revisited this week and other than the wearing one liners by Askey (nevertheless some are quite funny) I thought it a good watch. Kathleen Harrison who plays the drunk  woman with the budgie goes on to live another 54 years to within a couple of months of her 104th birthday a record for any actor/ actress I believe.

Kathleen Harrison....

15379933297691936360309.jpg.c0a800b02b4748dc9ec61a7727c22f96.jpg

Edited by crashmonitor

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Saw that one with Josh Brolin about drugs on the US - Mexico border recently. Had a single word title. Just made a sequel. Seemed good. Spoilt by some hysterical female FBI character who wanted to 'do the right thing' acter witnessing CIA killing a drug gang.

Sicario - the sequel is also good.

1 minute ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Took me years to see The Matrix after all the hype about its release. Superb film.

I've not seen that yet.

2 hours ago, Dipsy said:

Sicario - the sequel is also good.

Erm...

I think the sequel was written by the annoying woman from the first film.

Cold blooded killer on a thirst for revenge... "dies" protecting the daughter of the man who ordered the death of his family. He's just got all paternal... do me a favour.

5 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

That's it. Must have looked better in the cinema than on my 12 yr old 32 inch Sony. But I enjoyed it. Have a bit of a thing for Sandra.

Yes, me too, Sandra that is. Looks lovely and comes across as a genuinely nice and humble person.

12 hours ago, Dipsy said:

The Usual Suspects - I thought Kevin Spacey was excellent (despite him being rather problematic now).

Love Spacey in Glengarry Glen Ross. The bit where Jack Lemmon says "But what about my daughter?" and you're sure he's going to say "Fuck your daughter!" but he just stops himself at "Fuck you!" Brilliant stuff. 

15 minutes ago, jm51 said:

Sandra is a twofer. Brains AND tits.

Although The Net was probably the most quickly dated film of all time. It already looked old hat by the time it was released.

Blade Runner. Never really been into Sci-fi so just put it off.

I love Sicario, but not sure on the sequel enough to spend money renting it.

14 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The Emily Blunt character seemed woefully naive. A US border agent shooting Mexican gangsters and she's outraged.

16 minutes ago, spunko said:

Blade Runner. Never really been into Sci-fi so just put it off.

I love Sicario, but not sure on the sequel enough to spend money renting it.

The Emily Blunt character seemed woefully naive. A US border agent shooting Mexican gangsters and she's outraged. 

Yep, so politically correct... You wonder whether it is marketing to get Mexican bums on seats. "Hey, we killing lots of Mexicans but we're only killing the bad ones and we have lots of angst about doing it."

Or whether it is the completely unrealistic politically correct world of Hollywood.

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yep, so politically correct... You wonder whether it is marketing to get Mexican bums on seats. "Hey, we killing lots of Mexicans but we're only killing the bad ones and we have lots of angst about doing it."

Or whether it is the completely unrealistic politically correct world of Hollywood.

Probably both.

9 hours ago, eight said:

Love Spacey in Glengarry Glen Ross. The bit where Jack Lemmon says "But what about my daughter?" and you're sure he's going to say "Fuck your daughter!" but he just stops himself at "Fuck you!" Brilliant stuff. 

Another film I haven't seen, added to the list.

22 hours ago, Dipsy said:

The Usual Suspects - I thought Kevin Spacey was excellent (despite him being rather problematic now).

I've booked you into the Rose McGowan re-education centre.

10 minutes ago, NewryH said:

I've booked you into the Rose McGowan re-education centre.

xD

Aren't we awful because we watch a film, enjoy it and don’t really give a fuck about what any of the actors get up to in their private lives!

I’ve been thinking about watching The Legend of Barney Thompson for a few years now after a recommendation by someone a number of years ago. Described as a comedy thriller featuring Robert Carlyle, Ray Winstone, Emma Thomson and a Dumfries & Galloway actress Ashley Jensen. I have some empathy for Ashley, she’s always been an actress and worked all over the country before she became more known. Her husband recently committed suicide which must be difficult to come to terms with because she is now a single parent of a young son.

Anyway has anyone watched The Legend of Barney Thompson? Is it worth two hours of anyone’s time?

Thelma & Louise

Couldn't really understand what the fuss was about certainly nothing there that justifies its endless use as a cultural reference.

8 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Aren't we awful because we watch a film, enjoy it and don’t really give a fuck about what any of the actors get up to in their private lives!

There's so many accusations and rumours flying around that if you decided to not watch any of the actors/directors output you'd probably hardly ever see any films. Add in those actors that can't help shooting off about politics (just stick to the "lets pretend"), and there would be nothing left to watch.