• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Modular homes

Legal and general Modular homes based near Leeds.
builds a 3 bedder in a couple of weeks in a factory.

News item says average salary needed for FTP in UK is 52826 and in London 84250.
So who the bugger is buying houses?

Yes it is that legal and general https://www.legalandgeneral.com/modular/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/27/legal-general-affordable-homes

Legal & General aims to offer 3,000 affordable homes a year

Insurer says it will build and buy properties to address ‘chronic shortfall’ of affordable homes

The affordable homes business marks L&G’s latest move into the UK housing market, where it is becoming a significant player. The insurer is already investing about £1.5bn in the build-to-rent sector, with sites in Bristol, Edinburgh, Salford, Bath, Brighton, Leeds and Walthamstow.

It aims to have 6,000 build-to-rent homes in planning, development or operation by the end of 2019.

Sounds like a positive step. I saw the modular house on the So-Called BBC News (sorry folks! xD ) earlier and it looks pretty good.

I wonder how truly affordable these homes will be to rent or buy. :/ Would a lease be payable on the land they sit on for the ones that are sold?

Just now, UmBongo said:

Sounds like a positive step. I saw the modular house on the So-Called BBC News (sorry folks! xD ) earlier and it looks pretty good.

I wonder how truly affordable these homes will be to rent or buy. :/ 

Neither I bet,  just cutting out a middle man (the building company) to up the returns on their investment.

SJW economics lesson.

Build more houses = Price of housing goes down. This is classic "supply and demand" economics.

Flood country with migrants = No impact at all on house prices. If anything housing will get cheaper as migrants work hard to build houses.

Nothing new here these are domestic versions of GE Modular space buildings and more or less the same or a step up from park homes.

Just clever marketting from a company with more money behind it and an eye on a return.

Somebody should go the Sears home route for a bit of class and style instead and do it cheaper than a huff-haus.

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1921-1926.htm

Modular homes cost more to construct than traditional builds (though they claim the price will come down when volumes increase) and banks are wary about lending on them.

It's another shiny thing to be avoided; file under modern (post 1980) timber framing.