• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Jonathan Ross back on TV

Do you enjoy watching Jonathan Ross?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy watching Jonathan Ross?

• Yes, I choose to watch him
    • I can watch if there's nothing better on
    • I don't watch
    • I can't stand him

I see he has a new show.

He seems to pop up once every few years, do some shows, and then vanish again.

And from what I read the last time, he's very highly paid.

Why is this? What's so special about him?

I find him so odious, I can't watch. Difficult to put my proverbial finger on precisely what it is. It's the same with Nicholas Cage. If he's in it then I can't watch it.

5 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I see he has a new show.

I find him so odious, I can't watch. Difficult to put my proverbial finger on precisely what it is. It's the same with Nicholas Cage. If he's in it then I can't watch it.

Said this a number of times, but I suspect it's more about stuff you don't see than how he comes across on the TV. 

I'd wager that TV presenting isn't anywhere near as easy as it might look, so if you find people that can do it completely effortlessly and then do all the back end work in a similar manner then they are like gold dust. I suspect he turns up on time, hits his cues and does first takes on VT, never fucks up a live broadcast and is capable of working with any level of guest in a consistent manner. 

Time in money, especially in TV and a top class presenter is going to save you money. 

As for Ross specifically, never been that keen on his later TV work, but he was excellent on the radio before all the Andrew Sachs business, very different. 

Agree with Cage though, absolutely awful actor, completely avoid his films. 

14 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I see he has a new show.

Void of character is my assessment. 

10 minutes ago, gilf said:

Said this a number of times, but I suspect it's more about stuff you don't see than how he comes across on the TV. 

I'd wager that TV presenting isn't anywhere near as easy as it might look, so if you find people that can do it completely effortlessly and then do all the back end work in a similar manner then they are like gold dust. I suspect he turns up on time, hits his cues and does first takes on VT, never fucks up a live broadcast and is capable of working with any level of guest in a consistent manner. 

Time in money, especially in TV and a top class presenter is going to save you money. 

As for Ross specifically, never been that keen on his later TV work, but he was excellent on the radio before all the Andrew Sachs business, very different. 

Good points.

Actually, while incredibly childish, the Andrew Sachs stuff was actually.. quite funny.

14 minutes ago, gilf said:

I'd think this is right.  Probably, the easier they make the job look, the better thy are at a very difficult job.

[as a trivial example -- I don't swear very much, but I'm not sure I could do a 'live broadcast career' without saying 'fuck' at some point and getting reprimanded (and then be known as 'difficult person to do live broadcast').  Sure, Aled Jones* might be safe from this point of view, but I remain surprised that the likes of Graham Norton, Ross, Chris Evans (I've not listened to him much, so perhaps he does swear a lot) appear to be able to do 'excited' and passionate and interesting live work, but don't seem to swear.  This is probably one aspect of the 'makes it look easy' that means those individuals can command the pay they get]

[* He's probably a potty mouthed coke fiend for all I know (sending cock shots to the girls in the pews); but he appears like such a nice man in Songs of Praise]

4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Good points.

Actually, while incredibly childish, the Andrew Sachs stuff was actually.. quite funny.

Just to expand a bit, I think there is an appetite for a decent chat show, but the number of people able to pull it off is limited. The TV execs will know the viewing figures and while a lot of people don't seem to like Ross, enough obviously are watching to justify it. 

I suspect Ross is a character that shows off and plays up to a celebrity, on his radio show it was music and chit chat with Joe public, no need to put on a show or act up. 

With regards to Sachs, I think it was a useful event for the So-Called BBC to cut a huge budget. Although linking back, the whole affair was Ross on Russel Brands show yet again acting up. 

I find him annoying in large doses which is I why I didn't watch his shows when I had a telly; but I think he is talented, quick witted and funny.

The circumstances in which I've most often seen him is as a guest on panel shows and he is excellent on those.  Sometimes they can be a bit flat with characterless guests and JR will notice this and start going off one one of his own, creating a fantasy or whatever, in a very amusing way with lots of energy that pretty much saves the show.

It was the sort of thing that usually fell to the regulars: Lee Hurst on They Think It's All Over, Paul Merton on ISIHAC, or Sean Hughes, Phil Jupitus, Bill Bailey and Noel Fielding on Buzzcocks.

You're in a room with four of five stiffs and you have to lift the mood, bring them into it, get everybody laughing.

Which is a rather long winded way of saying that I don't think there's a really an option for me in the poll but I will pick the first as it's the only positive one.

31 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'd think this is right.  Probably, the easier they make the job look, the better thy are at a very difficult job.

Also applies to a lot of footballers accused of being "lazy".

Ross is an irritant though. Funny how his brother's profile seems to also have gone down by association.

As for Jimmy Carr.... does that guy actually live in the Comedy Central studios?

BBC have lost a star over nothing, same as with Clarkson. Sachs curve on Brand.

Woss not just a celebrity chat host. He is respected for his knowledge of pop culture, making several excellent documentaries about film, graphic novels, comics, punk and art.

He is on every year, he hasn't made a comeback. His show has suffered because ITV are seen as less prestigious than BBC  for agents booking promo slots, especially Hollywood A-list. Graham Norton benefits from the best and most topical guests. Leaving  ITV to use his show mainly to push their network talent from their channel, or known 'friends' of Ross.

Jonathan has plenty of industry connections, including his Kick Ass wife, but BBC always win out.

Neither Ross or Norton set out to be controversial or to make a guest feel awkward, even when heavily edited, 'the show' is relaxed, unlike Parkinson which could be confrontational.

The main negative for Norton is his show being on BBC America, hence old hat virtue-signalling Trump gags which Graham looks embarrassed to deliver. Terrible writers that genuinely suck. BBC spoil a good show with their SJW shit jokes at the start, after which Norton is brilliant, and has the best guests.

Jonathan by contrast rarely makes crap political  jibes, and is all the better for that.

The odd aspect of Ross and Norton, is a casual observer would guess one is gay the other straight, but the wrong way around.

I used to listen to his Radio 2 Saturday show in the 2000s with his producer Andy Davies (?) which was pretty good. Then he hooked up with Russell Brand and pissed things up for himself over 'Sachsgate'. Got sacked but bounced back on the beeb a few times with some one off shows.

He a classic narcissist though isn't he. Just who you need to deal with celebs and Hollyweird types.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I bet you always watch with the sound off anyway :P

Actually they weren't very good apart from "Valley of the Utra Vixens" which was OK

1 hour ago, gilf said:

^ This - where is the next generation of talent that can do this, make the big decision on set, and go with it. Can't stand him though.

It's like trying to find the next Harrison Ford/Han Solo.

43 minutes ago, Napoleon Dynamite said:

Know what you mean about them, but Nicolas Cage is the lead in one of my favourite films of all time Adaptation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(film)

If it's passed anybody by, it's worth a watch, a real dosbodders film I think.

Ah, Meryl Streep is in it. What a shame. I think I'll give this one a miss.

(This is what happens when luvvie celebs, with their political rants, antagonise their audience).

2 hours ago, 201p said:

^ This - where is the next generation of talent that can do this, make the big decision on set, and go with it. Can't stand him though.

It's like trying to find the next Harrison Ford/Han Solo.

The unfortunate answer is that I suspect it's James Corden. 

Similar situation, not liked by a large chunk of the populace but gets a lot of presenting jobs, I suspect for exactly the same reasons, he can do it and make it look natural. Thankfully he's over in the US doing it.

4 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

BBC have lost a star over nothing, same as with Clarkson. Sachs curve on Brand.

Woss not just a celebrity chat host. He is respected for his knowledge of pop culture, making several excellent documentaries about film, graphic novels, comics, punk and art.

He is on every year, he hasn't made a comeback. His show has suffered because ITV are seen as less prestigious than BBC  for agents booking promo slots, especially Hollywood A-list. Graham Norton benefits from the best and most topical guests. Leaving  ITV to use his show mainly to push their network talent from their channel, or known 'friends' of Ross.

Jonathan has plenty of industry connections, including his Kick Ass wife, but BBC always win out.

Neither Ross or Norton set out to be controversial or to make a guest feel awkward, even when heavily edited, 'the show' is relaxed, unlike Parkinson which could be confrontational.

The main negative for Norton is his show being on BBC America, hence old hat virtue-signalling Trump gags which Graham looks embarrassed to deliver. Terrible writers that genuinely suck. BBC spoil a good show with their SJW shit jokes at the start, after which Norton is brilliant, and has the best guests.

Jonathan by contrast rarely makes crap political  jibes, and is all the better for that.

The odd aspect of Ross and Norton, is a casual observer would guess one is gay the other straight, but the wrong way around.

Somebody posted a clip on here of Wossy interviewing that ghastly old Trotskyist waxwork who heckled Rees Mogg's children. Woss didn't seem to  have much time for him and I suspect he is a bit of a working class tory, though of course could never admit to that on the Beeb. That could be why there is the lack of crap political jibes and lame Trump jokes etc.

No-one's ever beaten Jonny Carson for chat show hosting

He took things in much better Humour than Parky too - TBF although latterly seen as more than a bit corny there is an underlying genius to the act and I doubt many people knew Emu had met Richard Pryor.

On 28/09/2018 at 09:37, DTMark said:

I see he has a new show.

He is preferable to Graham Norton, but then again so is a bout of the clap.