• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Am I evil?

I went to a charity presentation today. Some charity was saying "800 kids die a day due to dirty water". I couldn't help thinking "thank god for that, the world doesn't have the resources for another 800 people each day, in fact it's a pity it's not a higher number".

Am I evil or just pragmatic?

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I went to a charity presentation today. Some charity was saying "800 kids die a day due to dirty water". I couldn't help thinking "thank god for that, the world doesn't have the resources for another 800 people each day, in fact it's a pity it's not a higher number".

I thought western charities had collected millions to assist with the provision of potable water for the developing world. What have they done with the money collected?

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I thought western charities had collected millions to assist with the provision of potable water for the developing world. What have they done with the money collected?

Well 98% of it went to highly paid staff high up (because all the lower levels of staff are volunteers), 2% went on TV adverts.

1 minute ago, sleepwello'nights said:

The appeals haven’t changed over the last forty years in my experience. 

I’m sorry that some people have terrible experiences day to day in our so called enlightened word but life isn’t easy for anyone, even rich people.

In the past I’ve donated to charity but for a number of years I’ve limited it to donations or time given to local stuff where I know locals will benefit.

15 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

So long as you didn't say it aloud through the microphone you should get away with it.

3 minutes ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Surprising nothing is said about population growth, Africa... here. More months to feed, more drain on resources and services, more drains! Usually without any extra money.

Labour party bleating about cuts and the lack of money without ANYONE saying "hang on, population growth is out of control, this has an impact!"

As for the bigger charities and third sector agencies, it is a racket... a free-for-all since no-one would ever question such 'nice' people.

It is the volunteers who make it all happen, not the freeloaders.

will be big wars over water in africa soon.

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

A great success then.

Yes I think I have been misled by the So-Called BBC as I thought the Ethiopians were going to be wiped out by famine.

Luckily St Bob and St Bono stopped the famine in its tracks.

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Thete's an article in the Economist this week about how an excessive birthrate is keeping African countries poorer. There are some governments that have addressed this and birthrates have fallen, but most not.

I don't understand.

I thought that we needed immigration for the benefit of our economy, so how can high birthrates in the 3rd world be bad for their economies?

xD

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

I don't understand.

I thought that we needed immigration for the benefit of our economy, so how can high birthrates in the 3rd world be bad for their economies?

xD

:) yes a slight flaw in the prevalent economic model permits these seemingly opposite problems to exist.

7 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I don't understand.

xD

Economists have a model.

More people = more demand = more growth.

In reality, places like Afruca - more growth = more begging stealing and killing. Society fails, economy crashes. Bang.

They were banging onabout Malthus. Being wrong.

He wasnt, just had the limits wrong. His thinkings still good.

3 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Don’t feel evil, that nice Mrs May gave £334,000,000 to Ethiopia on our behalf in 2017 alone

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-spending-foreign-aid/

Perhaps Tesco wouldn't let them buy enough bottles of water, oops wrong thread.

£334 million, pah chicken feed. Look what they're getting from the US. https://borgenproject.org/ethiopia-invests-in-infrastructure/