DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

'It's going 2008 all over again.....'

Zanu Bob

8 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

I cant understand why anyone buys anything new these days the amount of stuff second hand local.

To be fair the new stuff isn't expensive if you keep it. My LG washing machine was £300 delivered 7 years ago, 10 year warranty on the direct drive motor and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. Even if it stopped at 10 years that's £30 a year. Crazy cheap.

Its the fools who change their stuff every 2-3 years as the fashion changes or the washing machines add new (useless) features... you need 2-3 programs and a couple of temperatures not 27 for fucks sake!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

To be fair the new stuff isn't expensive if you keep it. My LG washing machine was £300 delivered 7 years ago, 10 year warranty on the direct drive motor and not a single thing has gone wrong with it. Even if it stopped at 10 years that's £30 a year. Crazy cheap.

Its the fools who change their stuff every 2-3 years as the fashion changes or the washing machines add new (useless) features... you need 2-3 programs and a couple of temperatures not 27 for fucks sake!

Yes its amazing what people change.I got a fantastic sofa for £300 that had been £2800 that looked like it hadnt been sat on.Woman changing colour scheme in posh house.Another time i got some fantastic wood furniture for £100 must of been a few grand new.The woman just wanted someone to take it away i think so sold it.What you find now is a lot of people cant be bothered when family members die,perhaps living away,or simply cant be arsed so get the people who offer to empty the house and give you £100.

When i started work in 1988 youd be talking a few weeks wages for the white goods etc.

9 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Not as cheap as Facebook adds where you can get decent white goods second hand for £30.Just got freezer number 3 yesterday (stocked up nearly within one day with 75% off yellow label food).I cant understand why anyone buys anything new these days the amount of stuff second hand local.We got everything for the grandchildren (pushchairs,cot,car seats etc etc) for under £120 the lot,most used a couple of times by boomer grandparents.Best thing i ever bought was my £800 van 3 years ago for picking everything up in.Its amazing the difference on 20 years ago.Back then you would be hard pushed to find anything 2nd hand as people passed them on to family members etc and things werent really ever changed unless they were broke.Roll forward and tax credits seem to of seen to things where when granny dies they happy to get £100 of someone and they can empty the house and have the lot.

Even cheaper to get one from Freecycle!...People turn them off the first time to defrost (usually at least a year after they have bought them and so they are out of guarantee) and they fail to start again as the gas pressure has dropped a little so it can't turn the compressor motor...simply turn it upside down for 24hrs, re~right, plug in, and hey presto it's as good as new.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I did find myself wondering why there were 5 new build estates going up within 3 miles of here. Rushing for the exits surely. 

Rushing to get them built to sell at peak prices whilst Help to Buy is still in place.

The incompetents that created this monster are now stating it doesnt work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/29/help-buy-scheme-not-working-should-housing-minister-admits/

12 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Not as cheap as Facebook adds where you can get decent white goods second hand for £30.Just got freezer number 3 yesterday (stocked up nearly within one day with 75% off yellow label food).I cant understand why anyone buys anything new these days the amount of stuff second hand local.We got everything for the grandchildren (pushchairs,cot,car seats etc etc) for under £120 the lot,most used a couple of times by boomer grandparents.Best thing i ever bought was my £800 van 3 years ago for picking everything up in.Its amazing the difference on 20 years ago.Back then you would be hard pushed to find anything 2nd hand as people passed them on to family members etc and things werent really ever changed unless they were broke.Roll forward and tax credits seem to of seen to things where when granny dies they happy to get £100 of someone and they can empty the house and have the lot.

I got an 8ft trampoline free

climbing frame, slide, monkey bars free

swingset free

all off facebook.. 

2 hours ago, Banned said:

Rushing to get them built to sell at peak prices whilst Help to Buy is still in place.

Talking about changing it, not removing it altogether.

2 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

Nothing like a ponzi though, of course.

Do wonder when May and Hammond are gone which will be within the next 6 months, if itll be ended once and for all. Spect it would if Labour had any sense and tore it apart instead of wanting to extend it.

6 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

Nothing like a ponzi though, of course.

Two of my daughters friends have bought this year with it.Both bought 4 bed detached £150k plus the HTB.Both houses on terrible toy town estates with lots of social housing they dont even know about.Likely they will keep their jobs in a recession,but very doubtful they will be outside of negative equity for a long long time and they wouldnt be able to clear any loss through saving etc so will be stuck in them for good.Without HTB they would of ended up with a cheaper,but better value house,HTB was the rope they needed to hang themselves.4 bet detached for first house with 5% deposit.

1 minute ago, DurhamBorn said:

HTB was the rope they needed to hang themselves

This is just it. The higher price floor pushes people who really shouldn't be subprime to fall into that category and makes the negative equity all the deeper, all quite unnecessary.

5 minutes ago, Banned said:

Spect it would if Labour had any sense and tore it apart instead of wanting to extend it.

Haven't heard Labour call for an end to any HTB products, or the Lib Dems for that matter, sadly. Not sure that state manipulation in markets is much of a problem for McDonnell's doctrine either.

Given even FTBs are priced out now, no wonder there's suddenly cross-party consensus to build more social housing. Maybe time to go long construction sector firms with a strong trade union culture.

15 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

This is just it. The higher price floor pushes people who really shouldn't be subprime to fall into that category and makes the negative equity all the deeper, all quite unnecessary.

Haven't heard Labour call for an end to any HTB products, or the Lib Dems for that matter, sadly. Not sure that state manipulation in markets is much of a problem for McDonnell's doctrine either.

Given even FTBs are priced out now, no wonder there's suddenly cross-party consensus to build more social housing. Maybe time to go long construction sector firms with a strong trade union culture.

If they had the most basic amount of common sense theyd say we are going to end it and use the money to build council houses as its sent house prices sky high and gifted shareholders and directors of building companies obscene amounts of money at the taxpayers expense.

But they after all are the party who created much of this mess by bailing it out with qe and zirp.

4 hours ago, Banned said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/09/29/help-buy-scheme-not-working-should-housing-minister-admits/

Yes, but I wonder where their sleeping directorships will be when they leave Westminster?!

17 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

An ex Post Office Fiat.Its only a 1.3 and tatty around the edges,but been a great buy.Iv spent £210 in 3 years keeping it on the road,a few tyres,new battery,welded one sill so up to today including buying it its cost me £6 a week :D,i might get another good few years out of it yet.Love having a little van.Iv still got a 13 year old Peugeot 2.0l diesel car as well,but that hardly gets used.

As for builders,the new estate near me has houses up for sale 2nd hand now much lower than the builder is trying to flog the last third of the estate being built.Remove HTB and i doubt anything would be moving.

Those 1.3 Multijet diesel engines are bombproof. We had one in our old business Punto diesel van - great wee engine.

3 minutes ago, azzuri82 said:

Those 1.3 Multijet diesel engines are bombproof. We had one in our old business Punto diesel van - great wee engine.

Yes and great in the coldest of weather as they dont take much cranking over.A bit of easy start blasted into the air intake and will start even if stood for weeks in really cold periods.Iv found the knack is to keep it to 65mph max,60mph loaded.

UnconventionalWisdom
3 hours ago, darkmarket said:

Labour's stance on help to buy is confusing. They put it in their manifesto in the last GE. McDonnell later moaned about the scheme on twitter.

y67jhcee8apz.png

Not clear if they are for against it. 

3 hours ago, darkmarket said:

Too much of a political weapon to have a cross-party approach to solve the problem I'm afraid.

UnconventionalWisdom
3 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

Without HTB they would of ended up with a cheaper,but better value house,HTB was the rope they needed to hang themselves.4 bet detached for first house with 5% deposit.

My younger half-brother bought a big place in a midland village for stupid money- naive belief that the government couldn't do anything to harm them (his mum may even have promoted it to him). He flat-down wouldn't take any of my advice without realising that I'm also a first-time buyer that has been priced-out for years and done a lot of research to understand why... eventually leading me to the other site.

The banks make their money on loans and hence want to lend you as much as possible. If they are stating any more would be too risky, it must be. There's definitely no reason the government should be extending the loan. Economic suicide. 10-20 years time there will be articles written about the insanity of the policy. We should have learned from Bush's mistake with government-backed loans on homes that contributed to their massive bubble leading to the crash.

1 hour ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

Labour's stance on help to buy is confusing. They put it in their manifesto in the last GE. McDonnell later moaned about the scheme on twitter.

Not much opposition on that particular issue then. Bit like surveillance really, wherever Conservatives create a bigger role for government, there's nobody to undo it.

Too much of a political weapon to have a cross-party approach to solve the problem I'm afraid.

I don't think there'll be much cooperation, but either way if social housing helps prop up the bubble, we'll get some. Once prices have fallen too, it could still be used to stimulate industry. It just doesn't make sense to build at bubble prices, especially any land acquisitions when there is a distinct '07 feeling in the air.

On 29/09/2018 at 13:56, Chewing Grass said:

Yeah, the other side of the roundabout from Cinnaminge Park which has cars littered all over the grass verges.

Like how it says To Let with Ample Parking, don't know how they work that out but the the landlord and letting agents are lying cunts.

1857634985_Screenshotfrom2018-09-2913-51-55.thumb.png.36a3cb1a9ccd94ad56d28d206b46901b.png

A major problem with all the rented offices I've worked from has been parking. Absolutely none of them ever had enough spaces.

At one office the managers had a seperate bay of parking spaces. The solution for the main car park was to repaint the spaces but make them smaller. The managers spaces stayed at normal size.

At the time I had a ford S-Max. First time I parked it (there were empty spaces either side) I got out and saw that the wheels were on the white line. I thought I had better move it over a bit, checked the other side only to see that I was perfectly in the space and the wheels on the other side were also on the white line.

Never got to find out what bellend came up with that idea, it was all hushed up so assume it was someone fairly senior. A couple of weeks later the lines were repainted back to a standard size.

My younger half-brother bought a big place in a midland village for stupid money- naive belief that the government couldn't do anything to harm them (his mum may even have promoted it to him). He flat-down wouldn't take any of my advice without realising that I'm also a first-time buyer that has been priced-out for years and done a lot of research to understand why... eventually leading me to the other site.

The banks make their money on loans and hence want to lend you as much as possible. If they are stating any more would be too risky, it must be. There's definitely no reason the government should be extending the loan. Economic suicide. 10-20 years time there will be articles written about the insanity of the policy. We should have learned from Bush's mistake with government-backed loans on homes that contributed to their massive bubble leading to the crash.

It really is crazy.The worst part is these young couples i know are on joint £45k a year and there are well built ex council houses for sale 50 yards away from the new builds for £60k.They should be saving to buy one of those cash,or at least half down and pay the rest off in a few years.Instead they are locking into massive mortgages on houses that will see their prices collapse and on estates that will look like hell holes in a few years.Zero space between houses,zero green space,zero room from front door to road,all kerbs covered in parked cars and the local housing association sticking the worst families you can imagine in next door.They are the worst investment you could imagine.These people are going to end up underwater and stuck there for decades until the repayment mortgage catches up with the capital falls or they will have to make up the difference if they want to move.Given rates are very likely to hit 6% to 10% in the next cycle is just the added bonus.

1 hour ago, DurhamBorn said:

It really is crazy.The worst part is these young couples i know are on joint £45k a year and there are well built ex council houses for sale 50 yards away from the new builds for £60k.They should be saving to buy one of those cash,or at least half down and pay the rest off in a few years.Instead they are locking into massive mortgages on houses that will see their prices collapse and on estates that will look like hell holes in a few years.Zero space between houses,zero green space,zero room from front door to road,all kerbs covered in parked cars and the local housing association sticking the worst families you can imagine in next door.They are the worst investment you could imagine.These people are going to end up underwater and stuck there for decades until the repayment mortgage catches up with the capital falls or they will have to make up the difference if they want to move.Given rates are very likely to hit 6% to 10% in the next cycle is just the added bonus.

my ex bought a house with my settlement which was over 450k new build.  Nice enough from the front, but I was shocked at the back of the house which has no more than 20 feet of garden depth.  Simple horrifying for those of us brought up with proper size suburbia.

6 minutes ago, wherebee said:

my ex bought a house with my settlement which was over 450k new build.  Nice enough from the front, but I was shocked at the back of the house which has no more than 20 feet of garden depth.  Simple horrifying for those of us brought up with proper size suburbia.

Feck, I wish I had married you then o.O

UnconventionalWisdom
2 hours ago, DurhamBorn said:

My boss has a new build (cost about half a million!!!) and the garage isn't even big enough for a normal sized car. Crazy what people accept. 

Archived