DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Rich parents you never had (Oz again)

Sugarlips

“With our “Rich Parents you never had” competition Porter Davis is raising awareness of the struggles of first home buyers in Victoria and beyond. The huge response to the competition clearly demonstrates that home ownership is a distant dream for thousands of Victorians and that’s a problem that needs addressing urgently.”

Porter Davis is offering Smart Living house and land packages of innovatively designed single and double-storey homes with lots of land, developed for first home buyers on a budget.

Seems to be legit albeit satirical in how it's presented.  Pretty novel way of running a promotion.... And a bit sickening.  I think to win the deposit for one of these budget cookie cutter homes you first need to be vetted by them.  Doesn't sound so charitable after all.

l can't say I'm a huge fan of the tone of it. It isn't the fault of boomers that they were born at the right time in history. Granted some of them do have obnoxious attitudes but most do not.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

l can't say I'm a huge fan of the tone of it. It isn't the fault of boomers that they were born at the right time in history. Granted some of them do have obnoxious attitudes but most do not.

Most think theyve got where they are due to hard work, even those living the life of Reilly on a public sector pension where they retired before their mid 50s, and have a buy2let or 2.

13 minutes ago, Banned said:

Most think theyve got where they are due to hard work, even those living the life of Reilly on a public sector pension where they retired before their mid 50s, and have a buy2let or 2.

I can't say I know many boomers in real life who think like that. I come across them in the media etc mainly. Most members on here are boomers yet I don't see any such entitled attitudes etc.

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

I can't say I know many boomers in real life who think like that. I come across them in the media etc mainly. Most members on here are boomers yet I don't see any such entitled attitudes etc.

There most definitely is an mindset from boomers that they bought the house etc due to hard work (which in most cases they did) but that under 45s who didnt buy into the bubble just need to pull their finger out and arent able to as they lack the work ethic. + most dont see the insane house price inflation as a once in a lifetime handout, but that HPI is a natural state of affairs.

As for the pensions try telling someone who after 31 years of working in the public sector gets a final salary pension; that other people are paying for this free handout and see the response.

Whilst there is an awareness from boomers on this site that the young are being screwed and that the current financial system is a disgrace, this viewpoint comes from people that got free higher education, didn't need a degree to get a job interview and wither bought before the bubble went insane or bit the bullet and bought at what now looks like the reasonable prices from 2000-2013.

7 hours ago, Banned said:

There most definitely is an mindset from boomers that they bought the house etc due to hard work (which in most cases they did) but that under 45s who didnt buy into the bubble just need to pull their finger out and arent able to as they lack the work ethic. + most dont see the insane house price inflation as a once in a lifetime handout, but that HPI is a natural state of affairs.

As for the pensions try telling someone who after 31 years of working in the public sector gets a final salary pension; that other people are paying for this free handout and see the response.

Whilst there is an awareness from boomers on this site that the young are being screwed and that the current financial system is a disgrace, this viewpoint comes from people that got free higher education, didn't need a degree to get a job interview and wither bought before the bubble went insane or bit the bullet and bought at what now looks like the reasonable prices from 2000-2013.

True. My Dad was genuinely shocked when I explained to him that I didn’t get an inflation linked pay rise each year. My Mum was too when I told her I wasn’t in a final salary pension scheme. They’re boomers. Now both fully retired on inflation linked final salary pensions. They still save money. I don’t think they realise quite how different it is nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

True. My Dad was genuinely shocked when I explained to him that I didn’t get an inflation linked pay rise each year. My Mum was too when I told her I wasn’t in a final salary pension scheme. They’re boomers. Now both fully retired on inflation linked final salary pensions. They still save money. I don’t think they realise quite how different it is nowadays.

The question to ask is why can we no longer afford decent pensions for those who are/have contributed and where is the honey going?

hint.  Bennies, gimmigrants and overseas aid 

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

The question to ask is why can we no longer afford decent pensions for those who are/have contributed and where is the honey going?

Because people are living far longer than was expected 

People forget it was Thatcher that handed out unaffordable pensions to the public sector workers.

1 minute ago, Banned said:

Because people are living far longer than was expected 

People forget it was Thatcher that handed out unaffordable pensions to the public sector workers.

Nope and nope. 

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

And wait until the huge bulge of gimmigrants get old and want pensions.

What happens then?

Povety for all or keep the pyramid scheme going with ever more gimmigrants?

I know people lucky enough to retire at 50 on amazing pensions (more than I earn now!) and yet my Dad who is older than them only gets the basic state pension. Boomers come all sorts of flavours.

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

Nope and nope. 

The first comment is not wven open for debate it is an absolute fact people are living longer than was predicted when they were born.

And Thatcher lowered the state pension by no longer linking it to earnings to fund public sector pensions.

She was a good crony capitalist who then sold state owned assets on the cheap to buy votes. 

15 minutes ago, null; said:

And wait until the huge bulge of gimmigrants get old and want pensions.

What happens then?

Povety for all or keep the pyramid scheme going with ever more gimmigrants?

I know people lucky enough to retire at 50 on amazing pensions (more than I earn now!) and yet my Dad who is older than them only gets the basic state pension. Boomers come all sorts of flavours.

I guess you need to make it contributions based. 

8 minutes ago, Banned said:

The first comment is not wven open for debate it is an absolute fact people are living longer than was predicted when they were born.

And Thatcher lowered the state pension by no longer linking it to earnings to fund public sector pensions.

She was a good crony capitalist who then sold state owned assets on the cheap to buy votes. 

Nope. People are not dying young. So infant mortality has massively lessened. There have been no significant wars killing off millions. All it has done is shift the bell curve. Difference between mean, mode and median averages. The individual is not living longer. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Nope. People are not dying young. So infant mortality has massively lessened. There have been no significant wars killing off millions. All it has done is shift the bell curve. Difference between mean, mode and median averages. The individual is not living longer. 

So the growing number of people hitting their 80s/ 90s/ 100s is fake news.

4 hours ago, Banned said:

You need to sack your hisotry teacher.....

3 hours ago, Banned said:

You clearly missed all the black outs in the 70's.

all these people banging on about how great corbinm is and how he's well ard, and gonnae renationalise the railways and the water an the leccy,they missed the 70's.It was shit.

We only had a blanck and white tv and it kept switching off during the kids programmes because the coal miners/leccy workers were on strike.Miserable.I tell you.

51 minutes ago, Zanu Bob said:

You clearly missed all the black outs in the 70's.

all these people banging on about how great corbinm is and how he's well ard, and gonnae renationalise the railways and the water an the leccy,they missed the 70's.It was shit.

We only had a blanck and white tv and it kept switching off during the kids programmes because the coal miners/leccy workers were on strike.Miserable.I tell you.

8 hours ago, Zanu Bob said:

You need to sack your hisotry teacher.....

It is true. I never understand peoples love of Thatcher in the same way i cant understand the current love in with Corbyn.

My sole reason for potentially voting for him is i think the people he surrounds himself with are that fkn useless theyll bring forward the inevitable run on the pound, which will see interest rates spike and a HPC will happen. He'll effectively bring about a much needed reset of the economy.

This all started with Mrs T when she took the debt based economy to whole new levels. It does seem in her defence people have to state how bad someone else is .. 

That doesnt change the fact she cut the state pension for all to enable her to continue giving obscene pensions to public sector workers, may i suggest you read up on you history.

Archived