• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Basic video editing software for Windows

I want to cut together some clips from a DVD so as to make a short 3 minute video.

There used to be a program called Windows Movie Maker which was great for this sort of thing but that doesn't seem to be around.

There is a thing of the same name but it's a bit crap.

I've copied the DVD onto my computer and renamed the file extensions from VOB to MPEG and they play fine in VLC.

However when I try to import them into that program it runs them through a convertor which results in really choppy playback.

Can anyone suggest a basic video editing thing that can import and crop the MPEGs into a series of short scenes and then glue them together with some photos?

Edited by DTMark

9 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

virtualdub

That won't import these files. It says they're MPEG2 streams.

Do they need converting first? These are simply the raw VOB files with the file extension changed..

5 hours ago, DTMark said:

That won't import these files. It says they're MPEG2 streams.

Do they need converting first? These are simply the raw VOB files with the file extension changed..

I ok I understand better, you want to edit VOB straight from the DVD?

6 hours ago, DTMark said:

choppy playback.

Cant remember exactly, but if it is a commercial dvd then may be encrypted (so only plays smoothly in dvd players or media players like vlc)

I usually use avidemux to edit (although usually chopping bits out rather than stitching together).  If that's choppy, then you need to do a proper rip and conversion first with a ripper like handbrake.

11 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Cant remember exactly, but if it is a commercial dvd then may be encrypted (so only plays smoothly in dvd players or media players like vlc)

I usually use avidemux to edit (although usually chopping bits out rather than stitching together).  If that's choppy, then you need to do a proper rip and conversion first with a ripper like handbrake.

You'll need libdvdcss for handbrake to rip protected DVDs. It really is an excellent tool then.

I use that and Resolve for video editing in preference to Premier Pro nowadays.

Edited by man o' the year