• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

HMRC Tax refund scam

Recommended Posts

I got a letter for a HMRC tax refund - this is genuine.

But the scamsters know that it's refund time, and have sent me an email that looks like it links to the HMRC website, but the address bar is completely different. Links to some website design place spiira.com

I know you lot of dosbodders are smart, and won't get caught out (red pilled!) But anyway just to let you know to beware!

Untitled.thumb.png.20144750981cf8615a2903efab58bdad.png

Edited by 201p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, spunko said:

"We found an problem in your last tax payment calculations of your tax from the last payment."

 

 q3iCWqE.jpg

And even if the grammar was sound, if they did, it wouldn’t be in your favour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, One percent said:

And even if the grammar was sound, if they did, it wouldn’t be in your favour. 

20 years back when tax returns were still on paper and you could tick the box asking the Inland Revenue as it used to be to do the calculation for you, I did actually have them spot an error. I got a phone call from a nice lady in the Cambridge office (long closed and sold for housing that no civil servant could afford) who said she thought I'd put a redundancy payment number into the wrong box meaning I wouldn't get the tax relief for it. She was right and corrected it for me, thus saving me a ton of cash and much ballache sorting it out. That would never happen now I don't suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheBlueCat said:

20 years back when tax returns were still on paper and you could tick the box asking the Inland Revenue as it used to be to do the calculation for you, I did actually have them spot an error. I got a phone call from a nice lady in the Cambridge office (long closed and sold for housing that no civil servant could afford) who said she thought I'd put a redundancy payment number into the wrong box meaning I wouldn't get the tax relief for it. She was right and corrected it for me, thus saving me a ton of cash and much ballache sorting it out. That would never happen now I don't suppose.

I’ve got two employers. So I claim my tax allowance with one and pay tax on the full amount with the other. The wage slips have gone online and so I hadn’t checked them for a while. I eventually spotted that I was getting tax relief at both places. Contacted payroll who were very helpful but HMRC had written to them, giving me a tax code. 

Contacted the tax office and yes, they had ballsed it up and I had to pay it all back immediately. No accounting for it being their mistake. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

No accounting for it being their mistake. 

I think the culture changed a lot when they were merged with Customs & Excise. C&E had always spent a lot of time dealing with serious crooks of one sort of another rather than the general public which the revenue did and that rubbed off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I think the culture changed a lot when they were merged with Customs & Excise. C&E had always spent a lot of time dealing with serious crooks of one sort of another rather than the general public which the revenue did and that rubbed off.

My sister in law was a tax inspector. They pensioned her off with a massive pension at 50 and replaced her with people on a lot less money and who received very little train8ng. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.