• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Poppies. Yes or no?

When do you start wearing a poppy?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. When do you generally start wearing a poppy?

• On Remembrance Day only
    • 1 day before
    • 2 days before
    • 3 days before
    • 4-7 days before
    • 7-10 days before
    • 11+ days before
    • I don't wear a poppy / Other

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just picked this up on my farcebook 

Some really shocking news. The Royal British Legion are not selling poppies in certain areas on Nov 11 this year. This is because some minorities say that it will upset them. I say sod off ... The poppy is a symbol of reverence for our fallen heroes of all the wars the BRITISH military have fought in. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN BRITAIN! BRITISH CITIZENS STAND UP AND SAY 'WE WANT THE POPPY SOLD EVERY WHERE IN THE UK'. THIS IS OUR RIGHT TO REVERE OUR FALLEN.. PLEASE RE-POST

discuss 

I will never buy one, but I will defend the right of everyone else to have the opportunity to do so.

This stinks.

Is it definitely correct, and not one of those posts that are total bollocks but rely on the reaction of those reading to repost and spread?

I don't wear one either FWIW, but I am very much aware that people fought and died for my right to make that choice, and I will staunchly defend the right of anybody else to wear one if they choose to do so.

There is already a divide. Some parts of London for instance are usually a poppy-free zone, eg Lewisham. No Idea if they sell them in the shops there.

I recall a few years ago hearing that it had become too dangerous for Scouts and Cadets to be selling them:

Poppy sellers to get chaperones after string of attacks on collectors last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221106/Poppy-sellers-chaperones-string-attacks-collectors-year.html

Edited by Anglepoise

45 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just picked this up on my farcebook 

Some really shocking news. The Royal British Legion are not selling poppies in certain areas on Nov 11 this year. This is because some minorities say that it will upset them. I say sod off ... The poppy is a symbol of reverence for our fallen heroes of all the wars the BRITISH military have fought in. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN BRITAIN! BRITISH CITIZENS STAND UP AND SAY 'WE WANT THE POPPY SOLD EVERY WHERE IN THE UK'. THIS IS OUR RIGHT TO REVERE OUR FALLEN.. PLEASE RE-POST

discuss 

Do what?

http://www.saddleworthlife.com/knitted-poppies-to-remember/

49 minutes ago, One percent said:

Why won’t you buy one?  Curious. 

It's historical and down to the treatment of those that made them. I have no idea if it is current practice.

I will donate, just not for a poppy.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

It's historical and down to the treatment of those that made them. I have no idea if it is current practice.

I will donate, just not for a poppy.

Ah, yes, we’re they not made by injured service people and the government stopped it?  Where are they made now?  Probably China 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Ah, yes, we’re they not made by injured service people and the government stopped it?  Where are they made now?  Probably China 

No idea. But some people made a lot of money from it.

In a plastic conscious country, we should be saving our green plastic stems and black plastic seeds for yearly use. The only element of the Poppy we should buy yearly (along with a donation) is the pressed paper petals.

Edit: Don’t get me started on those fecking red noses! Lenny Henry has probably got the Worlds biggest carbon footprint! And the title of being the biggest joke of a comedian... eva... full stop.

Edited by OurDayWillCome

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Bloody brilliant.

There is another one which has been painted entirely in big red poppies.

They are next to the Cenotaph on the sea-front.

Yesterday there were horses giving rides to children with men dressed in WW1 khaki and women dressed as nurses.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There is another one which has been painted entirely in big red poppies.

They are next to the Cenotaph on the sea-front.

Yesterday there were horses giving rides to children with men dressed in WW1 khaki and women dressed as nurses.

I can't believe they got away with that kind of gender stereotyping!

Surely the local council will be taking action?