• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sugarlips

Lease everything

Seems no one buys their phone hand set these days, they all go for 24 Months lease at £50+ a month or more so you never get off that rat wheel

then you pcp the car for £250+ so you never own that

then you dfs the couch on 5 years Interest Free so you will own this one day, when it’s knackered..

same for the smart tv, another monthly but plus then you subscribe to the on demand stuff

is this the true meaning of minimal stuff?

4 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Seems no one buys their phone hand set these days, they all go for 24 Months lease at £50+ a month or more so you never get off that rat wheel

then you dfs the couch on 5 years Interest Free so you will own this one day, when it’s knackered..

same for the smart tv, another monthly but plus then you subscribe to the on demand stuff

It's not new. 30 years ago I had a girlfriend in St Louis, MO.

Not only did she rent her house, but also every single item in it. 

But I question your couch. Mine is 21 years old and still fine.

9 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

I buy everything outright. If you can’t pay one week one week, you can’t pay two the next 

28 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

It's not new. 30 years ago I had a girlfriend in St Louis, MO.

Not only did she rent her house, but also every single item in it. 

But I question your couch. Mine is 21 years old and still fine.

Don’t worry, my couch has had the cushions recovered it’s that old.

its everyone else, I just don’t know where it ends, everything has been financial I see, you can pay for Christmas on instalments, even pay your holiday on interest free...

8 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

well im in debt to the total of 12600,which is my morgage.many think im nuts for paying my car insurence in one go ..most of the men at work pay it monthly i kid you not.and i got the piss taken out of me terrably a week ago for makeing a 1400 quid overpayment ,they are like its going to save you fk all in the long run.

People are financially illiterate on the whole.

I pay everything up front, colleagues don't get how I do it despite us all, roughly, being on the same. I darn't tell them how much goes in to my pension & savings each month... :)

14 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Thames Water. £38 a month. Can I switch?

i never pay my waterbill on time,im normaly at least 6 months in arrears.but saying that i only get billed every 6 months.think its around 140 every 6 months but zoopla says its 29 a month

21 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Thames Water. £38 a month. Can I switch?

Yorkshire Water, on a meter, averages ~£18 but they keep putting it up one year to £20-22 then back down to £12-14 on the DD.

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

People are financially illiterate on the whole.

I pay everything up front, colleagues don't get how I do it despite us all, roughly, being on the same. I darn't tell them how much goes in to my pension & savings each month... :)

i do 4 overtime nights a month and im not in a well paid job,however last payday im paid every 28 days i took home 1835 add my lodgers 220 to it.my morgage will drop at renewall time to about 108 quid or around 5% of my income.this makes me a happy bunny has i try not to over extend myself .its easy to loose my job has im a twat for walking out of them.but i can survive on minimum wage should i need.and to be frank i enjoy my life style i can get wankered every night im off and not worry about it.i could in theory fuck off abroad a lot more than i do or get the fabled range rover outside my hovel on pcp....but i cant be arsed.next doors always calling me a mug for buying my terrace until i pointed out his rent is close to 4 times my morgage.

he responded with ive no maintanence costs ,i replied ive decorated twice in that time and replaced the front door lock and its cost less than 500 quid ,i wasnt a twat and let him know the balifs had knocked on mine asking what time he is normaly in has they wanted a word,he left around 6 weeks ago lol.

8 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

morgage will drop at renewall time to about 108 quid or around 5% of my income

This is a big one. Mines <£200. ~10% of take home (after SS in to pension), and the GF works as well. We have plenty of spare but don't do lavish holidays anything. I want a bigger place as I'd like to mess about with cars more, but I really don't want to be paying £800/month mortgage... it would stress me out. Right now I know either one of us could be out of work and we'd be perfectly fine.

Her car is 13 years old and cost us £2k 3 years ago - which was exactly how much the insurance paid out on her previous car that had a meeting with the armco. My current car is a 15 plate small estate - cost me £2000 - bought as a Cat N and I replaced the front end for £500. Next door have 2 small cars each at ~£200 a month. 

Maintenance - unless you've bought a massive county pile - shouldn't be a huge concern. You don't even need to paint windows these days :)

well, the next car I get - when we move back to Oz - will be a lease, as I am pretty sure electric cars will be mainstream in 5-10 years (next replacement) and I don't want to be stuck with a relic.

convince me I am wrong.

6 minutes ago, wherebee said:

well, the next car I get - when we move back to Oz - will be a lease, as I am pretty sure electric cars will be mainstream in 5-10 years (next replacement) and I don't want to be stuck with a relic.

convince me I am wrong.

Guess it depends what type of car you want and how long you'd keep it...

Paying £250 a month for 5-10 years... you could buy a car at ~3 years old and scrap it when the time comes to change and be quids in. Not much goes wrong with them these days. Aussie market is different though... residuals are much higher so the sums could be very different, especially if residuals for petrols/diesels fall through the floor when you are looking to change.

Edited by Cosmic Apple

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

This is a big one. Mines <£200. ~10% of take home (after SS in to pension), and the GF works as well. We have plenty of spare but don't do lavish holidays anything. I want a bigger place as I'd like to mess about with cars more, but I really don't want to be paying £800/month mortgage... it would stress me out. Right now I know either one of us could be out of work and we'd be perfectly fine.

Her car is 13 years old and cost us £2k 3 years ago - which was exactly how much the insurance paid out on her previous car that had a meeting with the armco. My current car is a 15 plate small estate - cost me £2000 - bought as a Cat N and I replaced the front end for £500. Next door have 2 small cars each at ~£200 a month. 

Maintenance - unless you've bought a massive county pile - shouldn't be a huge concern. You don't even need to paint windows these days :)

This, in a nutshell, is the generational divide. You don't want to increase your outgoings to £800 pcm for a bigger house.

The young need to pay £1k per month for a basic flat. A car, no matter how old, is out of the question.

Not a personal attack, just an observation / rant.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

This, in a nutshell, is the generational divide. You don't want to increase your outgoings to £800 pcm for a bigger house.

The young need to pay £1k per month for a basic flat. A car, no matter how old, is out of the question.

How young is young? I'm 35. Key is though I bought a house that doubled in 'value' after 4 years when I was 19. Even back then though I borrowed half what the banks would lend me... 

Basic flat up here is £450, but yeah, much more than my mortgage.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Apple said:

How young is young? I'm 35. Key is though I bought a house that doubled in 'value' after 4 years when I was 19. Even back then though I borrowed half what the banks would lend me... 

Basic flat up here is £450, but yeah, much more than my mortgage.

Under 30 I would guess. When LHA is £950, rent on anywhere half decent will be a lot more.

Your key sadly no longer fits the lock. Buying at 19 is just an impossible dream.

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

no mines a shit hole terrace,bought it nealy 6 years ago .i woke up 8 years ago after a massive bender probably close to 30 years long and realised i was 12k in debt no job no car and no girlfriend and figured i better start to conform with society a bit.i still struggle with conforming if im honest and if ive got so much has a months wages in the bank im liable to walk out of work if i get anoyed.im buying mine on my own i dont trust women much sadly lol.the bad news is ive got 4 grand in the bank which brings my giveing a fuck tolerance down to not giveing one at all.

i even took a bank loan out last year over 5 years and treated myself to a 12 plate hyundi veloster ,figureing the debt would control me ,it didnt i paid it off at a grand a month.i earn fk all compared to some of the salleries i see some of the guys here earn but i realise im very very lucky compared to what many people earn...

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Your key sadly no longer fits the lock. Buying at 19 is just an impossible dream.

This is true. One of the reasons I'm here via ToS. I had no clue what was going on until I sold in 2007 to relocate - that's when I saw the madness and joined ToS.

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

im buying mine on my own i dont trust women much sadly lol.the bad news is ive got 4 grand in the bank which brings my giveing a fuck tolerance down to not giveing one at all

Me neither, her names not on the papers :) I walked out of my job in 2009 and spent a year messing about. Cash in the bank enabled me and if my working conditions were the same as they were back then I'd have done the same many times over. You can't do that with a £800 mortgage, £200 car lease, £60 mobile contract and everything else on monthlies with fuck all savings... which is the trap a lot of the population are in.

Edited by Cosmic Apple

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, wherebee said:

convince me I am wrong.

All depends but here’s an on the ground example.

i flogged my knackered old Mondeo recently for $2500 and bought a 3 yr old Skoda Rapid spaceback, only has 19000 kms and cost $12,000 - well under half the new price plus it came with some nice extras like moon roof, big wheels daytime running lights etc. I do about 20000 kms a year and intend to keep it til 125,000 km (when the cam belt is due etc) so bout 5 years from now. I’m certain that a young un will gladly buy it off me for $6-7k as it’s a safe first car regardless of the progress of electric cars in that time. It’s frugal, safe  comfy and reliable, it will cost me about $1000 a year in depreciation plus consumables.

by comparison leasing a new car will cost you easy $400 a month plus any penalties for dings or going over on your kms etc that’s knocking on for $25k over 5 years

Buying from used car salesmen in Oz is a proper nightmare so I stuck to a main dealer. Good luck with whatever you choose

Edited by Sugarlips

13 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

disagree,depends where you live.up north you could buy my hovel for 55k.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/99-oldfield-street/fenton/stoke-on-trent/st4-3pg/22868476

the generation divide is a myth,may i create a new phraze we should be calling it a regional divide.its the southerns that are fucked in the north you can still buy a basic house in kilter with local wages.true it wont be a 4 bed with a drive,you might have to start looking at paying 100k for that luxuary.....ps that realy is my hovel lol.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

It was a £30k hovel back in 2004 though :)

it will soon be a 30k hovel again once we get 2008 the return lol.its a fking joke that i got it for 49k nealy 6 years ago and its reputed to be worth 61k thats 40 a week up.another reason i overpay is when its value crashes i will still get a good loan to value rate.....i to want a house price crash not for myself but for my kids...i want to see the indepted burn childish i know.

Edited by stokiescum

I bought a year 2000 Toyota Yaris in January 2007, for £3995. It's still going well, and has never broken down. If I'd leased a small car at, say, £120 a month instead, I would have paid out £17,000 in that time.O.o