• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Move over Coster - Cat Coffee Chain shops next boom area

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16951791.paws-for-thought-cat-cafe-opens-in-romsey/

County's first cat cafe opens - and it already has 100 bookings

----

I don't think it's the first one, there is another one in Bournemouth that opened about a year ago. Welcome to the new world of experiences and emotions.

Can you imagine a chain of coffee shops up and down the land with cats - people would travel to each down to meet new cats.

I have been to one, the daughter wanted to go, the place stank of cats pee, the cats didn’t want to perform and just slept, I came out feeling like I needed a shower and the coffee was crap too.

22 minutes ago, yfwr jin said:

I have been to one, the daughter wanted to go, the place stank of cats pee, the cats didn’t want to perform and just slept, I came out feeling like I needed a shower and the coffee was crap too.

Don't lots of cafes make you feel like that though?

I've been to the Bournemouth one... it's ok - the kids liked the novelty of it. There are a few problems

Firstly they seem to have a penchant for employing people with learning difficulties.. not a bad thing really, but seems to me like the job interview is "Do you like cats?" if yes then they're in/ Questions such as "can you be polite, sociable or 'serve coffee' are not explored. Plus it'll costs you £5 per person cover charge, even before you've ordered. Pay for that, then a coffee and cake x3 and you could find yourself out for £30. Be cheaper just to buy your own cat.

Plus although most cats are ok, there's one of them that's a right little shit - scratches and tries to bite... keeps you on-edge while you're there.

I reckon a dog cafe would be more fun

1 hour ago, yfwr jin said:

#metoo .. and for the same reason - daughter.

To be hnets it was clean and didnt smell.

I guess the experience depencs on how hygeinic the madold cat ladies are - and they were all mad old cat ladies.

My daugther loved it.

I hated it - I dont like cats that much. Mde worse as I ordered food and the bastard cats came over to beg. I got told off for enocuraging a cat to go away... using my foot. I dint kick it, I just pushed it FFS!

42 minutes ago, SNACR said:

WTF is it about cats that they turn women mental?

Nope. Why are mental women attracted to cats?

4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

#metoo .. and for the same reason - daughter.

To be hnets it was clean and didnt smell.

I guess the experience depencs on how hygeinic the madold cat ladies are - and they were all mad old cat ladies.

My daugther loved it.

I hated it - I dont like cats that much. Mde worse as I ordered food and the bastard cats came over to beg. I got told off for enocuraging a cat to go away... using my foot. I dint kick it, I just pushed it FFS!

Nope. Why are mental women attracted to cats?

They do grow on you my old cats came free with the house and I was going to take them to a cats home but they did launch a successful ingratiating by attrition campaign. I would have never previously gone and actually bought a cat. It does sort of become apparent that they're much smarter than dogs.

I can't think of anything worse than going to a place where people are actively seeking to "lease" pets. 

Go volunteer at the cats home if you want to play with cats without the responsibility.

Posted (edited)

Been to one

Thought it was cruel TBH

It's better when a cafe, pub or shop has a resident cat or dog that just walks around and lives there

Although rare these days since everything is a franchise with a new manager every 18 months

There even used to be a pub in Essex that had a black bear and a peacock in the grounds

Edited by Bakez

Friend of mine has a cat aged about 13. Kidneys failing.

He visits the PDSA like other people visit coffee shops. They are now having him bring in cat urine samples so they can monitor the kidney function.

Am I a cruel person for thinking the money should be better spent on other things?

16 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Am I a cruel person for thinking the money should be better spent on other things?

If the cat is suffering it should be put to sleep.

Posted (edited)

I've been to the one in Bethnal Green, the cats don't look stressed. There are pretty strict rules - no kids under 12 (bliss), you can approach the cat but don't bother it if it's sleeping, don't fed it. They are rescue cats and like all cats if they can't be arsed they let you know. I think that cafe has been going for a few years and gets booked up particularly at weekends, I don't see it shutting any time soon. And it was very clean and didn't smell.

Edited by Dipsy

21 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Friend of mine has a cat aged about 13. Kidneys failing.

He visits the PDSA like other people visit coffee shops. They are now having him bring in cat urine samples so they can monitor the kidney function.

Depends on cats quality of life. My old girl had acute kidney disease and our vets were very good in supporting me when I felt it was her time to go. Prior to that I had paid out (well mostly insurance) a few hundred to try and keep her comfortable whilst she still had quality of life. I'd have thought if it's got to the point where your friend needs to take regular pee samples in, it's getting close to PTS. In my view it's the last kindness we do for our pets.

Thing about a cat coffee shop is that it's one of those businesses that you got to once as a novelty, and then don't bother going back to.

A lap dancing cafe on the other hand...