• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Alexa is a crazy SJW liberal - video

There is no way I would have one of those Alexa things. Personally I can’t see any point in having a device to ask things and be given an answer. It’s too passive for me because I like to look up stuff myself and find different definitions etc.

I used to not mind getting up to switch channels on tv back in the day. Next came remote controls so those who didn’t like getting up to switch channels didn’t have to.

A relative of mine who is morbidly obese loves Alexa because it’s set up to switch lights on/off, play music so no movement is required. I’m not sure if it can switch tv on/off.

Alexa makes me think of Hal in Space Odyssey 2001!

3 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

There is no way I would have one of those Alexa things. Personally I can’t see any point in having a device to ask things and be given an answer. It’s too passive for me because I like to look up stuff myself and find different definitions etc.

I used to not mind getting up to switch channels on tv back in the day. Next came remote controls so those who didn’t like getting up to switch channels didn’t have to.

A relative of mine who is morbidly obese loves Alexa because it’s set up to switch lights on/off, play music so no movement is required. I’m not sure if it can switch tv on/off.

Alexa makes me think of Hal in Space Odyssey 2001!

I call the telly remote the ‘fat controller ‘ as you don’t get any exercise as you flick through the channels 

I got one as a present although wouldn't have just bought one. A bit useless to begin with as you just ask it what the weather is and it tells you. Although it's clever I couldn't find a genuine use for it.

Now I've discovered wireless control though I can see potential. I have sets of lights that I would like to come on together when I click one switch. In the old days of being an OO I would have done a bit of suitable wiring but of course renting is different. I've thought of one or two other uses so I  am slowly getting it sorted. The wifi switches are 5 dollars each from China so not an expensive do. Not really any privacy/eavesdropping problems either when you live on your own although I think I'd unplug it if people came round (it has a microphone-off switch but they would say that wouldn't they.)