• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Tax credit even more sad face :-<<<

Update cropped up on ToS.

What a surprise! And shes still got school age kids.

In 3 years, the short fall in tax credits are all coming home to roost.

Ive repost on here as we can swear.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/01/theresa-may-voters-tory-policies-labour

'To see how this works in practice, ignore the autocued remarks made in Birmingham this week and think about another speech, made three years ago by a woman in the audience for Question Time. Perhaps you remember Michelle Dorrell: dressed in a grey jacket and minding her Ps and Qs, she suddenly exploded at the then-cabinet minister Amber Rudd for defending cuts in tax credits.

Dorrell told Rudd that she’d voted Tory six months earlier – but now she was furious. “I work bloody hard for my money to provide for my children … and you’re going to take it away from me and them. I can hardly afford the rent, the bills and you’re going to take more from me.” And audience members in Dover started chanting at Rudd: “Shame on you! Shame on you!”

At the time, I wrote on these pages that that was a seminal moment in the politics of austerity: the point at which the government could no longer pretend that the cuts were happening only to shirkers. And Dorrell was exactly the kind of natural Tory voter the party could ill afford to lose.

Dorrell told me this weekend that she’d never planned to go off like that, but when Rudd spoke she felt “a force from inside my belly”. She’d lost her job in 2011, had to go through the horror of the benefits system and then retrained and set up a nail bar. She’d played it by the book, done everything the Tories told her to do – and still she was, to use an old phrase, just about managing. Instead of birthday and Christmas presents, her dad would buy £100 of food from Sainsbury’s or Lidl and restock the fridge.

At first business went well, but the economy in her hometown of Folkestone is as moribund as anywhere else in non-metropolitan Britain. She’s just closed her nail business and works in a local shop on a zero-hours contract, getting eight to 12 hours of shifts a week. She needs more, but the manager says the company will never give her 16 hours because they don’t want to pay employers’ national insurance. She still needs benefits to top up wages, yet the benefits system keeps getting meaner. In April 2011, 6.4 million families were on tax credits, according to Carl Emmerson of the Institute for Fiscal Studies. By this April that was down to 3.8 million: of those losing out, a tiny number may have moved to universal credit – but many millions more simply got poorer.'

Gormless dossing fuck cunt.

Natural tory voter FFS.

Interesting article and there is a lot to agree with.  Some of it could have been written by one of us. He highlights well that the social contract has been torn up and gives some good examples. However, he completely misses the point when he blames cuts to benefits as the causal issue.

no, it’s 30 plus years of successive government policy from successive governments from both sides of the house that have deliberately driven down the cost of labour and undermined the power of the individual.  

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s chicken and egg. Tax credits are there as a subsidy to employers and have allowed them to drive down wages. There is no longer a floor under them whereby they have to pay enough to live as the sap taxpayer will pick up the rest. 

Then, there has been mass immigration which has put a strain on everything 

then the charging for education 

then the rolling back of employment rights

destroying of pensions 

bubble territory of housing. 

They have royal.y fucked it up. So much so I’m convinced we would be better off without a government 

Cause and effect.

Low paid PT jobs were the realm of young people and the odd woman doing pin money.

There were few low paid PT jobs as they number of people available to do them was low.

Come tax credits - magic ticket of 16h NMW job.

~50% of the population is after them.

Low to medium skilled jobs go. Replaced with PT.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Cause and effect.

Low paid PT jobs were the realm of young people and the odd woman doing pin money.

There were few low paid PT jobs as they number of people available to do them was low.

Come tax credits - magic ticket of 16h NMW job.

~50% of the population is after them.

Low to medium skilled jobs go. Replaced with PT.

Yep agree.  Employers needed to negotiate (mainly subconsciously). If I want to pay low rates, I need to make it more attractive in other ways.  If I don’t treat the staff well, they will vote with their feet. 

The cheap pool of imported labour and the tax payer subsidy has changed all that. Now, the employers have too much power over labour 

It was a good article up until it brought that docile women into it.

Tories are fucked as they've followed on Browns property bubble inflating policies and came up with many more.

Im not a natural Labour voter being as a fucken despise them and their do as i say ways along with the fact they destroyed a nation in 13 years with mass immigration and debt but there is no other option for an economic reset. Tories greatest achievement is keeping the plates spinning for 8 years but making things far worse than in 2010.

1 minute ago, Banned said:

It was a good article up until it brought that docile women into it.

Tories are fucked as they've followed on Browns property bubble inflating policies and came up with many more.

Im not a natural Labour voter being as a fucken despise them and their do as i say ways along with the fact they destroyed a nation in 13 years with mass immigration and debt but there is no other option for an economic reset. Tories greatest achievement is keeping the plates spinning for 8 years but making things far worse than in 2010.

Careful what you wish for. There won’t be a reset, it will just be a continual grind down until the pressure kicks something off. Normally ends in war, see wwii after the Great Depression. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Careful what you wish for. There won’t be a reset, it will just be a continual grind down until the pressure kicks something off. Normally ends in war, see wwii after the Great Depression. 

Turkey has recently had a reset. We would have had a reset after 2007s run on NR if Tptb were capitalists.

A reset is coming.

Just now, Banned said:

Turkey has recently had a reset. We would have had a reset after 2007s run on NR if Tptb were capitalists.

A reset is coming.

We would have had a correction, not a reset.  Lots of economies are facing problems, it the whole lot resets, there will be a lot of angry and starving people. It won’t end well 

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

We would have had a correction, not a reset.  Lots of economies are facing problems, it the whole lot resets, there will be a lot of angry and starving people. It won’t end well 

Itd have been a reset with the amount of debt. Land and asset prices would have been devastated. Debt would be expensive and we,d have had to start making stuff again so importing cheap goods from Asia enmasse would have came to a halt.

Itd have been a reset.

48 minutes ago, Banned said:

Itd have been a reset with the amount of debt. Land and asset prices would have been devastated. Debt would be expensive and we,d have had to start making stuff again so importing cheap goods from Asia enmasse would have came to a halt.

Itd have been a reset.

I agree. And it's still coming, but the date of arrival is uncertain - Brexit might be the trigger but it could drag on a while. 

The UK is Greece delayed. The elite have skimmed off everything and shafted everyone else, but a little more subtly and with a more comprehensive range of instruments. They know it's coming too - I know a couple of people in wealth management, they tell me most are diversifying abroad while they can.

Having all the money in safeish foreign investments will enable the wealthy to buy up a big chunk more of the property and assets after the crash, and we will be a big step further back towards Britain's glorious past of protected aristocrats and lawless slums.

Posted (edited)

The relevant bit:
She’s just closed her nail business and works in a local shop on a zero-hours contract, getting eight to 12 hours of shifts a week. She needs more, but the manager says the company will never give her 16 hours because they don’t want to pay employers’ national insurance.

She now has to leave the house and stand up actually working.
And the way the NI system works seems to back up the low hours
https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-rates-letters

You pay nothing on  up to 162 and 12% over

£162.01 to £892 a week (£702.01 to £3,863 a month)

Edited by sarahbell

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

The relevant bit:
She’s just closed her nail business and works in a local shop on a zero-hours contract, getting eight to 12 hours of shifts a week. She needs more, but the manager says the company will never give her 16 hours because they don’t want to pay employers’ national insurance.

She now has to leave the house and stand up actually working.
And the way the NI system works seems to back up the low hours
https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-rates-letters

You pay nothing on  up to 162 and 12% over

£162.01 to £892 a week (£702.01 to £3,863 a month)

Yes the NI is a joke, they need to scrap it and just add it to income tax, and end employers contribution as its the worker who is actually paying it.

But this women is a fucken disgrace if she claims she cant get a job of more than 12 hours a week. Get her docile self down to a supermarket, unfortunately there is endless low paid work in this country.

Edited by Banned

Useless horrible situation caused by design by our useless horrible governments of both parties. 

I thought I would be equally critical of her as well, and I would if she still running her nail bar. Sounds more like being screwed from all sides, grasping landlord, piss-taking employer etc. Hate to say it but if I were her I can't see how I could do it much differently. 

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I know a couple of people in wealth management, they tell me most are diversifying abroad while they can.

As in global stocks rather than uk-based assets like houses, or actual bank accounts located overseas?

18 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

As in global stocks rather than uk-based assets like houses, or actual bank accounts located overseas?

It depends on the currency. Some (like the GBP for the last 15 years) are more prone to the Italian-lira style of devaluation and the political system points to that continuing, so in currencies where that is true the rich buy land/businesses. In currencies like the CHF they buy shares and other finance-based assets. 

11 minutes ago, twocents said:

At least there's full employment - har har har.

Surely that depends on your definition of employment.... 

4 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Useless horrible situation caused by design by our useless horrible governments of both parties. 

I thought I would be equally critical of her as well, and I would if she still running her nail bar. Sounds more like being screwed from all sides, grasping landlord, piss-taking employer etc. Hate to say it but if I were her I can't see how I could do it much differently. 

I dont know here. I can read around her situiation.

Shes not runnign nailbar. She had people comign to her hosue to do their nails.

It was a big self employment con to scam tax cerdits.

This woman has polayed the system all her life. I dout shes ever pad tax.

The whole lot needs buring.

5 hours ago, Funn3r said:

I would if she still running her nail bar. 

Perhaps if it wasn't making a full wage then she could continue it part time to make up her income from part employment and part self-employment.

16 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I dont know here. I can read around her situiation.

Shes not runnign nailbar. She had people comign to her hosue to do their nails.

It was a big self employment con to scam tax cerdits.

This woman has polayed the system all her life. I dout shes ever pad tax.

The whole lot needs buring.

Yes but story says she has packed in the nailbar. Now got job on zero hours contract but they won't give her 16+ hours because they're bastards. 

Of course don't necessarily know real story maybe she could get 37 hours but doesn't want to.