• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I hear that Hunter wellington boots are shoddy and made in China now, marketed at the "country chic" fantasists who actually live in Islington. So another brand ruined. I've had a pair of decent Dunlop wellies but they decided to stop taking my abuse and I noticed they are falling apart. So do any DOSBODers have any suggestions? Preferably not too expensive and built to last.

I heard Dunlop were acceptable quality. The posh ones that are still made well include the likes of Aigle (forget the others), but they'll cost you! 

I have a pair of steel toe Dunlops and they are fantastic quality. I've had them since 1986 though so I can't comment on the current ones.

19 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

I have had a pair of  Aigle for the last couple of years and I have no complaints.

Yeah that's what the Swiss hunty/shooty/fishy types use(real ones not silly Islington types that shoot pheasants 4 times a year). You could buy ten pairs from Lidl for the same price though.

If you can afford it easily and it's something you use all the time, buy the best that will last as long as you (probably) - why the hell not? You could argue it's better for the planet than cheap boots too.

Once owned a pair of expensive Muck Boot wellies. Super comfy but super flimsy. Fell apart over a 3 year period. I don't think I would go there again. Currently welly-less.

1 hour ago, Agent ZigZag said:

Get yourself workmans Rigger boots, lined for warmth, steel toe cap and unfashionable yet are the biz

I've already got a pair actually but sometimes when wading through really deep mud wellies are best! :Old:

2 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Shoddy? They're a single piece of rubber. Your mistake is buying into Hunter as a brand in the first place.

Hunter used to be really good - I'm told - before they started making them in China or whatever but didn't drop the price..

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Hunter used to be really good - I'm told - before they started making them in China or whatever but didn't drop the price..

By what metric? I'm really struggling to get my head around this. 

Single piece of rubber, shaped like a boot. What could go wrong?

Just now, Roger_Mellie said:

By what metric? I'm really struggling to get my head around this. 

Single piece of rubber, shaped like a boot. What could go wrong?

They're not single pieces of rubber I don't think. Either way I'm not sure as I don't own any but that's just what the reviews online say. 

I had Hunters and they were good wellies until the grip went :( I wouldn't buy them now as they are Chinese.

I use rigger boots. Made in the UK and tax deductible for the self employed as they are PPE. Awesome grip (handy when carrying loaded firearms down muddy slopes). You have to polish them occasionally though.

image.png

After years of not owning wellies, I recently bought a pair of neoprene fishing wellies from Aldi as they caught my eye doing the weekly shop.

They seem OK so far, nicer than traditional style rubber ones to put on. Time will tell of course, but then my use is unlikely to be that heavy.

1 minute ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

After years of not owning wellies, I recently bought a pair of neoprene fishing wellies from Aldi as they caught my eye doing the weekly shop.

They seem OK so far, nicer than traditional style rubber ones to put on. Time will tell of course, but then my use is unlikely to be that heavy.

So, how does it feel doing you weekly shop in neoprene fishing wellies?  Do people notice?  o.O

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Do you take your helmet off?  o.O

Yes, mainly because it's a bit warm and unwieldy off the bike, being over a kilo of polystyrene, polycarbonate and fibreglass. Also, clothes that keep you warm at motorway speeds keep you even warmer in a heated supermarket