• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Mirror Mirror

Wonder if this will catch on?

Recommended Posts

Since the beginning of October New Zealand immigration personell can demand the password to your electronic devices. A refusal carries a US$ 3000 fine and confiscation of the device for 'forensic anaysis'

I wasn't thinking of going anyway, but that';s another country off my list of places to visit (and spend my tourist dollars).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/world/asia/new-zealand-passwords-devices.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Since the beginning of October New Zealand immigration personell can demand the password to your electronic devices. A refusal carries a US$ 3000 fine and confiscation of the device for 'forensic anaysis'

I wasn't thinking of going anyway, but that';s another country off my list of places to visit (and spend my tourist dollars).

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/world/asia/new-zealand-passwords-devices.html

 

Think Canada, Oz and US have had that policy for some time. I have seen some of those custom border programmes where border guards - shame the UK does not have any - are going through the phones of suspects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question is why? And what standards will they judge you with? Been a lot of gushing articles recently about NZ and their Liberal PM, seems rather Fascist really, policing free thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

Think Canada, Oz and US have had that policy for some time. I have seen some of those custom border programmes where border guards - shame the UK does not have any - are going through the phones of suspects.

Not so sure, From the article,

“We’re not aware of any other country that has legislated for the potential of a penalty to be applied if people do not divulge their passwords,” said Terry Brown, a New Zealand Customs spokesman. Border officials, he said, believe the new fine is an “appropriate remedy” aimed at balancing individuals’ privacy and national security.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Not so sure, From the article,

“We’re not aware of any other country that has legislated for the potential of a penalty to be applied if people do not divulge their passwords,” said Terry Brown, a New Zealand Customs spokesman. Border officials, he said, believe the new fine is an “appropriate remedy” aimed at balancing individuals’ privacy and national security.

 

The evidence is there to see in all those reality programmes on the TV following customs people in Oz, Canada and the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

OK TMT, you have the advantage of me there; I dont watch TV.

 

Nor do I unless it is 'Game of Thrones' or 'The Orville'. OK, and any 'Star Trek' or 'Stargate'... and any film or series that involves some kinky sex scene. Other than that... I have the TV on in the background and sometimes it ends up on these cheaply made customs programmes. They stop someone at Oz, Canadian or US customs and before you know it they are going through the person's phone. If the phone is password protected they tell them it is an offence not to give them the password.

Remember this as it might be embarrassing to tell a complete stranger that you gmail account password is 'iluvladyboys&8349' or 'humpmebigboywithyourenormousdick39'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Not so sure, From the article,

“We’re not aware of any other country that has legislated for the potential of a penalty to be applied if people do not divulge their passwords,” said Terry Brown, a New Zealand Customs spokesman. Border officials, he said, believe the new fine is an “appropriate remedy” aimed at balancing individuals’ privacy and national security.

The UK is one such place. I'm just looking for the specific law...

[EDIT] Part 3 of RIPA 2000. https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/09/04/how-refusing-to-give-police-your-facebook-password-can-lead-to-prison/

Edited by Inoperational Bumblebee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Remember this as it might be embarrassing to tell a complete stranger that you gmail account password is 'iluvladyboys&8349' or 'humpmebigboywithyourenormousdick39'.

You'll have to change your passwords now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

You'll have to change your passwords now!

I;m going to change the password to 'theofficerreadingoutthisevidencesuckscocksforaliving' or 'thejudgeiswearingwomensunderwear'

 

should make any court cases fun, at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.