DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The Great Financial Crash

sleepwello'nights

Fully Detached
41 minutes ago, One percent said:

I tried to avoid any interaction. He/she seemed to keep a file on everyone and then throw it into the mix.  I'm sure they were very knowledgeable but any argument presented contained so many points, I would lose the will to live just reading them.

Tell me about it.

The nature of a discussion forum means that poster's opinions will change with their life circumstances, their growing knowledge of the subject, the topical news, and even their mood on the particular day they posted. Harvesting and then quoting those posts like the internet's answer to Rumpole of the Bailey is the hallmark of someone who may be highly intelligent but who sees the world in literal black and white. I have some sympathy, since that causes them to miss out on a world of beautiful colour, but not much.

In my last exchange Venger seemed most taken with the fact that my parents own 3 BTLs. I don't know what point s/he was trying to make by repeatedly posting about it since I didn't bother reading them, but if Venger actually knew the real status of my familial relationships then either s/he would either have felt that posting about them was way below the belt, or would have proved himself to be a complete emotional retard by continuing to do so regardless. I have no interest in finding out which.

• Agree 1

One percent

I was visiting the other side, link to the thread about dosbods. Venger was posting and attempting to raise a laugh at the expense of individuals who have moved over.  

Im really pleased there is no nastiness here.  I know some of my posts are not the most enlightened, entertaining, or well thought through. I don't really need it pointing out to me. 

Edited by One percent
Crapple again

sleepwello'nights
1 hour ago, One percent said:

I was visiting the other side, link to the thread about dosbods. Venger was posting and attempting to raise a laugh at the expense of individuals who have moved over.  

Im really pleased there is no nastiness here.  I know some of my posts are not the most enlightened, entertaining, or well thought through. I don't really need it pointing out to me. 

I popped over to see if I could see the thread you've mentioned, didn't see it. I did glance through a couple of threads and the prevailing mood seemed to be anger. Thankfully that mood doesn't seem prevalent here. I feel there is an underlying realism that we may not be able to change the way things are but we instead work with how things are and make the best of it we can. 

One percent
6 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I popped over to see if I could see the thread you've mentioned, didn't see it. I did glance through a couple of threads and the prevailing mood seemed to be anger. Thankfully that mood doesn't seem prevalent here. I feel there is an underlying realism that we may not be able to change the way things are but we instead work with how things are and make the best of it we can. 

Here you go

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/229580-a-thanks-to-the-mods/#comment-1103217816

agree, we are but a few voices and so have no power to change things. It's like the saying, you can't change how people behave, all you have power over is the way you respond. Same for politics and the economy. I feel that on here, we discuss well alternative responses. Given that, we are slightly better prepared than most. 

Caravan Monster
12 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

the way I look at it now, I'm pretty sure that those of us who aren't leveraged up to the ball sacks are already winning, just not in the ways we might traditionally have judged winning by.

That's about where I am. Certainly never expected to end up where I am, and although far from ideal, it kind of works. For me, having the certainty that comes from owning my own home would represent a significant element of a win, but I'm no longer willing to borrow against my remaining productive years to achieve it. Proper fucking angry about the powers that have brought about the current situation; not playing the game is a response. The UK should be an amazing country to live in and I'm not sure whether greed or stupidity is more to blame for the economic / political / housing mess we're in.

One percent
3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Who is this Mr Top 5% they're referring to...?

I did wonder, given my user name, whether it was me.  However, I don't think I've been that much on their radar and also there in lies paranoia. 

Wight Flight
2 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

This. In a nutshell. 

To requote my favourite saying. You cannot control circumstances in life. You can control how you react to those circumstances.

Edited by Cunning Plan
  • Agree 1

Fully Detached
8 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Who is this Mr Top 5% they're referring to...?

Oh, that's probably me, I think s/he started referring to that in some of the typically epic posts involving my family.

In the post I re-quoted here I mentioned that 95% of people don't bother doing any in depth analysis on what they buy, a throw away figure totally plucked out of my arse because it was used to illustrate a point more than anything. That apparently translated as Fully Detached believes he's in the top 5% and thus Fully Detached is an arrogant cunt. Next thing I know he's just totally got out his Halo video. It was merciless, I tell you.

I find it interesting that such an off the cuff comment could provoke such a reaction, but I won't bother reading the latest posts. Generally they seem to be so far wide of the mark that I can only think that either I've completely failed to express my point clearly, or he's completely failed to understand that other people might not post in as literal and exact sense as he does. It's no great loss either way.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Oh, that's probably me, I think s/he started referring to that in some of the typically epic posts involving my family.

In the post I re-quoted here I mentioned that 95% of people don't bother doing any in depth analysis on what they buy, a throw away figure totally plucked out of my arse because it was used to illustrate a point more than anything. That apparently translated as Fully Detached believes he's in the top 5% and thus Fully Detached is an arrogant cunt. Next thing I know he's just totally got out his Halo video. It was merciless, I tell you.

I find it interesting that such an off the cuff comment could provoke such a reaction, but I won't bother reading the latest posts. Generally they seem to be so far wide of the mark that I can only think that either I've completely failed to express my point clearly, or he's completely failed to understand that other people might not post in as literal and exact sense as he does. It's no great loss either way.

Can you please share this hallowed halo video? I've not seen it :Geek:

Fully Detached
39 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Can you please share this hallowed halo video? I've not seen it :Geek:

I have to be honest and say that I didn't watch it, so I'm not going to go searching for it now. But I'm pretty sure the snapshot preview thingy was of Master Chief from Halo, or if not some other sort of sci-fi thingie. It just cracked me up that someone would lose their shit over an internet stranger spouting out of their arse, and then wheel out a Halo vid or whatever it was in order to vanquish them.

• Agree 1

On 4/22/2017 at 19:56, One percent said:

+1

Everyone seems free to express themselves and relaxed.

Can't ask for more than that.  

Much better than that other.....shhhhh ....over controlled place.  

• Agree 1