• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
LC1

Cheap used smartphone recommendations

Posted (edited)

Me and the missus both got 2nd hand smartphones off eBay a few years ago, after years with Nokia bricks.

We both bought Motorola Moto G 4G (2nd gen). These are now getting really annoying with constant demands to update and yet complaining that there is no space for the updates, even when all media (photos etc) deleted and cache cleared, blah blah. It's almost as if they are intentionally hobbled by design in order to force you to upgrade :PissedOff:

I'm sticking it out (ooh er), but hers has a badly cracked screen and she needs functionality of certain apps that just aren't working because of lack of updates and general crapness.

So, DOSBODS hive mind, please suggest some good basic options that will give her another few years of good service before crapping out. Preferably easily available 2nd hand and around the £40 mark please! :)

Ithankyouverymuch.

Edited by LC1

For £40 you'd be better off getting a solid screen protector and rooting it so you can disable the update notices. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear. :)

1 minute ago, spunko said:

For £40 you'd be better off getting a solid screen protector and rooting it so you can disable the update notices. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear. :)

I appreciate that the price is a bit limiting, so would be prepared to pay a bit more. But that is approximately what these ones cost on the Bay of dreams, so figured it wasn't too far off!

I know that screens can be replaced, and would do that if the phone was working well, but it ain't. Will look into the rooting option for mine though. Had considered it previously, but never got round to learning about it.

8 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Cannot get down to 40.

Never heard of them, so cheers.

Looks a bit flashy and flimsy, where I would prefer basic and reliable. But I guess this isn't what the market wants these days... 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LC1 said:

Never heard of them, so cheers.

Looks a bit flashy and flimsy, where I would prefer basic and reliable. But I guess this isn't what the market wants these days... 

This is £95 but brand new from Hong Kong. Amazing phone that will be good enough for several years.

https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/xiaomi-redmi-6-3gb-32gb-dual-sim-blue.html?tduid=b0c1a9f47a8be24f8b9ac50627e26de0#/product/24385

There are often vouchers for a few quid off also.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

I can vouch for Xiaomi. I got my other half a Xiaomi Mi1 (or whatever it's called). Stuck LinageOs on it and it puts my S5 to shame for the most part. The only let down on it is the cameras are average. Funnily enough, she upgraded from a Moto G. The battery on that thing was terrible