DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Increase in building projects for sale - local phenomena?

Cosmic

On 04/10/2018 at 17:49, One percent said:

They are selling into a very small market, I wouldn’t think that was mortgageable. 

They are not.

Cash buyers only. Or special finance at a push.

On 04/10/2018 at 23:52, Bricks & Mortar said:

Yup.  Seeing it here too.   And I make my living doing jobs like this.  The ones I'm seeing are at similar stage to the first - structural work done, awaiting walls, plumbing, electric, kitchen, bathroom, decor.
Thing is, projects like this have a habit of overspending on the structural portion.  I imagine they've arranged loans for the full work, and spent it all on the structural stuff.  Gone back for more in order to complete, but the banks have a better idea where the market's going. 

This.

Banks are seeing too much new builds and regurbs and know MMR finance wont cover the cost.

Loads of building going in. Very little buying.

On 04/10/2018 at 23:52, Bricks & Mortar said:

Yup.  Seeing it here too.   And I make my living doing jobs like this.  The ones I'm seeing are at similar stage to the first - structural work done, awaiting walls, plumbing, electric, kitchen, bathroom, decor.
Thing is, projects like this have a habit of overspending on the structural portion.  I imagine they've arranged loans for the full work, and spent it all on the structural stuff.  Gone back for more in order to complete, but the banks have a better idea where the market's going. 

B&M, just out of interest, once the land has been paid for (and before profit/ markup has been put on top) what the split of funds I.e, third foundation's, third bricks/studding, third second fixings?...You see a lot of the Grand Design projects go tits up due to foundation/structural costs going over budget due to nasty surprises.

Bricks & Mortar
2 hours ago, MrXxx said:

B&M, just out of interest, once the land has been paid for (and before profit/ markup has been put on top) what the split of funds I.e, third foundation's, third bricks/studding, third second fixings?...You see a lot of the Grand Design projects go tits up due to foundation/structural costs going over budget due to nasty surprises.

I don't believe there is a 'usual' split of funds. At least, not on the three properties in the OP which were renovation gigs, and you mention the Grand Designs type stuff.  This kind of thing is carried out by individuals - and each project's different.  The individual decides what works for them.
If you were a professional 'property developer', involved in older houses - you'd be looking for ones you could give a lick of paint and a new kitchen/bathroom before turning over.  You'd be avoiding like the plague having to lift floors, remove plaster or do structural work because...

The architect draws a pretty plan... the builder gives a price for the work on the drawing... you lift the boards/remove the plaster and... it's got no foundation, woodworm, wet rot, dry rot, bats in the attic, subsidence cracks that were covered on the outside, and archeological remains of the Romans in the basement.  And none of that's priced for.  The decoration/kitchen/bathroom will likely cost what the builder said it would... once he gets the square boxes shown on the drawings to put it in.

Archived