• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

CCTV needed at Foodbank

9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Give it 6 months and we will be reading of anger about invasion of privacy after a 100K of public money is spent fitting CCTV there.

It won't be cheap or solve the problem. If people are abusive then they shouldn't be allowed in ever again.

19 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It won't be cheap or solve the problem. If people are abusive then they shouldn't be allowed in ever again.

The modern attitude seems to be that one must never make judgements about others' behaviour, especially if they are in receipt of bennies/charity. 

Plus if they bar somebody, they will just kick off even worse so they may think it's better just to shove them a few tins to keep them quiet. 

Am I right in assuming the abusers are likely the same people who use these foodbanks? It's a bit like those who hurl abuse at roadworkers, I don't really understand it all.

36 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

You need to think more outside of the box. Invite people into the back room to have a look at the shiny new stainless steel meat grinder. Then introduce new visitors to the Soylent Green section.

Posted (edited)

Oldham foodbank. hmmmm

let me see, doesnt Oldham have a majority of a certain "Comunity"? 

Maybe there not giving out proper halal accredited foodstuffs? 

To the big family tax credit recipients who also try to get free food.

Edited by WorkingPoor

19 minutes ago, spunko said:

Am I right in assuming the abusers are likely the same people who use these foodbanks? It's a bit like those who hurl abuse at roadworkers, I don't really understand it all.

I assumed that without a second thought. 

It's possible that the abuse is coming from people who don't agree with the foodbank system, but I highly doubt it, as I'm pretty sure that would be mentioned in the tweet if it were. 

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, satch said:

So let me get this straight, I (they, the volunteers) give up their time and travel to a food bank to help out and then suffer abuse from  the people thay are trying to help. Either the rest of the people getting the free food should act and stop the abuse or the volunteers should stop volunteering. In any case at the first act of abuse they should close it for the day  ... but I guess like the prisions the are scared of the consequences of more violence and accusations of wacism. They should just close it down overnight permanently. End of.

Society is falling apart and TPTB do nothing, I suspect that if bacon butties were being left outside a synagogue or mosque the CCTV would be up toot suite.

I expect another reason they aren't closed down would be it would also impact on the executives income from donations etc of those running the charity/charities.  Also closing down food outlets for the food industry wouldn't be welcomed by those corporates even if the food is donated/supplied free of charge as it's with beneficial publicity and it helps to support prices.  A form of scrappage scheme and better than putting it all in the skip.

In fact it's become an entire industry of make work of its very own with very many vested interests.

I'm not saying that the basic idea isn't a good one (preventing hunger and starvation) but some might say it's now become very overblown with the many vested interests.

Edited by twocents

56 minutes ago, spunko said:

That's because you don't need to use a food bank - sort of circular argument. Whilst 80% of the people going there will be normal and react like you or me, there will be 20% who have mental health problems or who are pissed up cunts. Just the same as A&E, they're the ones causing the trouble. BlueCat junior does some volunteer work at this place and sees this in action:

https://www.dailybread.ca/

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

But I keep getting told that a person can only go to a food bank twice in 3 months ....

The reality is that, apart from the odd benefit fuckup/new arrival to a town, foodbank users are the same old faces, daily.

They tunr up, abuse the daft little old ladies/godbotherers, and get their free food and stuff, leaving money for beer and weed.

4 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

That's because you don't need to use a food bank - sort of circular argument. Whilst 80% of the people going there will be normal and react like you or me, there will be 20% who have mental health problems or who are pissed up cunts. Just the same as A&E, they're the ones causing the trouble. BlueCat junior does some volunteer work at this place and sees this in action:

https://www.dailybread.ca/

I ventured into LIDLs once and that was bad enough. :S

(only joking)

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

But I keep getting told that a person can only go to a food bank twice in 3 months ....

The reality is that, apart from the odd benefit fuckup/new arrival to a town, foodbank users are the same old faces, daily.

They tunr up, abuse the daft little old ladies/godbotherers, and get their free food and stuff, leaving money for beer and weed.

I too see conflicting things like this and am not sure on the truth of the matter - for example,  they are meant to be/are (?) means-tested, and you can't just rock up and take what you like. It's hard to know what the truth is as media on both sides of the coins are warping it for their own reasons.

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

I ventured into LIDLs once and that was bad enough. :S

(only joking)

I too see conflicting things like this and am not sure on the truth of the matter - for example,  they are meant to be/are (?) means-tested, and you can't just rock up and take what you like. It's hard to know what the truth is as media on both sides of the coins are warping it for their own reasons.

SImple rought arsed maths.

Take the food bank claims on whos entitled and why.

Then put that into the number of people lviing in an area.

MOst people on nenefits are sduck on them. Money comes in, money goes out.

The number f people coming off benefits or moving to a new town are tiny - probably 5/1000 a month.

Lets say half those fuck up their benefits.

So, town of 100k, 20k on benefits. say 1% have a change/fuckup a year- 200/y - 10/week.

Dont needa full-time staff foodbank for that. DSS has emergency funds available.

The pepole they will be dealing with, daily, fall int othe 8Ace category.

1 hour ago, satch said:

So let me get this straight, I (they, the volunteers) give up their time and travel to a food bank to help out and then suffer abuse from  the people thay are trying to help. Either the rest of the people getting the free food should act and stop the abuse or the volunteers should stop volunteering. In any case at the first act of abuse they should close it for the day  ... but I guess like the prisions the are scared of the consequences of more violence and accusations of wacism. They should just close it down overnight permanently. End of.

Society is falling apart and TPTB do nothing, I suspect that if bacon butties were being left outside a synagogue or mosque the CCTV would be up toot suite.

I would like to see some examples of the abuse to be able to put it into context, but have to agree its a concern that civilised society seems to be disapearing.

1 hour ago, WorkingPoor said:

Oldham foodbank. hmmmm

let me see, doesnt Oldham have a majority of a certain "Comunity"? 

Maybe there not giving out proper halal accredited foodstuffs? 

http://foodbankapp.co.uk/app/shoppingList/page/Oldham Foodbank

Urgently Needed

Chocolate bars / treats
Fruit Juice
Instant Coffee
Instant Mash
Jam
Nappies sizes 2 upward
Pasta Sauce
Rice (500g/1Kg)
Shopping bags
Sugar
Tea Bags
Tin/longlife Sponge Pudding
Tinned Custard
Tinned Fish
Tinned Fruit
Tinned Rice Pudding
Tinned Tomatoes
Tinned Vegetables (except Peas)
UHT Milk

Low On Stock

Asian style tinned veg
Biscuits
Breakfast Cereals
Kids Spaghetti
Soup (meat)
Soup (vegetarian)
Tinned halal meat
Tinned Peas

Well Stocked

Baby Food (not formula)
Baked Beans
Pasta
Sanitary products
Tinned Meat

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

Take no shit, have no shit.

We need to be firm but fair, fuck people who act like this.

The council moved a(n obviously terrible) junkie in next to me years ago. I KNEW she was going to be a nightmare and they should have known that too. She was given chance after chance to fuck up the lives of those in our stair (communal stair in a tenement), it was only when the drug squad smashed her door down that we got rid of her.

Nice to be nice, but stupid to keep being nice when folk are acting like arseholes.

Course the knew Carl, but they weren’t moving her next door to themselves. They didn’t give a fuck as to whether she caused hell for others, they had managed to move the problem off their books for a while