• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
stokiescum

jury service

well sadly ive got called up for it starting in december for an estimated 2 weeks,any idea what i can claim for..ie will i get just my basic wage covered or will i be able to claim for the overtime id normaly do.

Just now, stokiescum said:

well sadly ive got called up for it starting in december for an estimated 2 weeks,any idea what i can claim for..ie will i get just my basic wage covered or will i be able to claim for the overtime id normaly do.

Nope they don’t even cover your wage. It’s (or was when I did it) about 70 quid a day. Earn more than that, suck it up buttercup. 

Mind, it’s a hell of an experience. You get to see first hand how completely and utterly incompetent plod are. Oh, and how thick and believing of authority your standard pleb off the street it.

Enjoy. :) 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Nope they don’t even cover your wage. It’s (or was when I did it) about 70 quid a day. Earn more than that, suck it up buttercup. 

Mind, it’s a hell of an experience. You get to see first hand how completely and utterly incompetent plod are. Oh, and how thick and believing of authority your standard pleb off the street it.

Enjoy. :) 

fk that then

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

I enjoyed it.
But I used my business insurance to claim back my wage whilst I was absent. It took about 1 million emails to get it sorted. 

And rememeber:

Do not discuss the trial with anyone until it’s finished, except with other jury members in the deliberation room.

After the trial you must not talk about what happened in the deliberation room, even with family members. You can talk about what happened in the courtroom.

I did ask for mine to be delayed as they asked me to go during the bee season. They allowed that. 

1 minute ago, Cosmic Apple said:

From what I've heard, take a good book. If you don't read, its a good time to start :)

Yes. Was Wednesday before we were allocated a case. 
Was an awful lot of sitting around.

Posted (edited)

I was called up but was working abroad most of the time back then - I told them that it would cost me several hundred pounds in flights/hotels to attend and in five minutes received my exemption papers. 

Oddly enough I would quite liked to have done it. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

Some cases can be quite disturbing; my friend's husband was on the jury for a child abuse case just before having their first child and the evidence he saw was awful :(

1 minute ago, JackieO said:

Can people get out of jury service?

It's not something I would want to do.

Not unless you have a good excuse. I managed to be picked for the summer holidays. Bugger that, I can’t take leave any other time so wrote back to them. I managed to get it rearranged for them time. They can waste someone else’s time but not mine 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I imagine if you had recently been arrested an cautioned for a minor offense you'd get yourself excluded, and a good excuse for some petty crime.... to Twitter!!

Edited by Cosmic Apple

1 minute ago, JackieO said:

No, you can get it deferred. They might not bother calling you again, more often than not they do. Depends on the court in question. 

But no in theory you can't get out of it. 

I thought it was great personally, was called again within a year, would have done it again but boss wasn't keen and he had given me full pay (minus the various allowances) so couldn't take the piss. Ended up making money with all the various things you can claim. 

1 minute ago, Cosmic Apple said:

I imagine if you had recently been arrested an cautioned for a minor offense you'd get yourself excluded, and a good excuse for some petty crime.

Needs to have been in the previous 5 years, if you have been convicted then you need to have served a 5 years sentence. 

So do something minor every 5 years just to keep it topped up.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My dad told them he was depressed and hated everyone.

I'll go with that approach! :D

Seriously though as an autist been in close confines with 11 other people for weeks is a version of hell to me.

Posted (edited)

Some people are ineligible.. Aren't you a prison officer of some sort?

• governors, chaplains and other officers of, and members of independent monitoring boards for prisons, juvenile justice or attendance centres, remand or young offenders centres
  • the warden or a member of the staff of a bail hostel
  • probation officers and anyone appointed to assist them
  • prisoner custody officers

All the above can't be called up. Other intelligible professions listed here :-

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/exemptions-jury-service

Other than that, you can ask to have it postponed with good reason, but ultimately it's a civic duty. 

Edited by MvR

Just now, MvR said:

Other than that, you can ask to have it postponed with good reason, but ultimately it's a civic duty. 

Someone on our first selection was employed at a solicitors in town and knew all of the judges. She was ineligible but only after our judge looked at her and said he knew her.  I don't know if she had to go through that twice before they let her go home

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I'll go with that approach! :D

Seriously though as an autist been in close confines with 11 other people for weeks is a version of hell to me.

I would imagine if you had a doctor's note stating this, you will probably be let off on medical grounds. As mentioned above, I was passed over simply because I was working abroad a lot; I don't even think I had to provide evidence of this, I just made a signed statement on an official form. 

I do think it's important to serve if you can though - jury trials are a vitally important part of our common-law system of justice; they are the sort of thing EU apparatchik types would happily abolish in favour of some sort of Napoleonic-Code system. 

Edited by Austin Allegro

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JackieO said:

I did jury service a few years ago, on a case that was to last several months ... people were desperate to get out of it. Very difficult as you need a real and strong reason, and the Judge has heard then all ...

So JackieO says the judge ...' you are essential to your company and irreplaceable.' JO ; 'Yes Sir irreplaceable.' Judge; 'And if you were injured and in a coma or got another job then what would happen.' JO' .... they would find a new person.' Judge '.... exacltly, see you on Monday.'

If you have a holiday already booked that would be OK, working abroad OK, own business only you working ... may be OK but there is lots of time not in court so you can work some days and also at weekends. Health issues, probably not as they will try and cater for them in court (frequent breaks etc).

I enjoyed the experience, it was probably three short days (10 til 4) a week with lots of breaks .... 'points of law' which the barrister says will take 10 minutes but the jury have to leave .... they always take 30 minutes to an hour. But the trial was nothing nasty just money.

Edited by satch

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Can you tell them your illiterate?

Can't see that would work, you don't need to read or write anything. If there was I'm sure they would make provision. 

It's all taken very seriously so any attempts to circumvent are treated as contempt of court. 

I'm not saying people shouldn't feel aggrieved at having to do it, or not fancy it but your chance of being called up is minimal.

They are reasonable however, so if you think you have a valid excuse give it, they will almost certainly let you defer and like Austin says they might just let you off this time.

Edited by gilf

Just now, JackieO said:

No need.

Neenarr neenarr... fun police! I'm allowed my fun, spoil sport! As a dyslexic stokies posts as very difficult to read, which is annoying as they are good so I have to read them :)

3 minutes ago, satch said:

I did jury service a few years ago, on a case that was to last several months

Months!

<faints>

Just now, Cosmic Apple said:

Neenarr neenarr... fun police! I'm allowed my fun, spoil sport! As a dyslexic stokies posts as very difficult to read, which is annoying as they are good so I have to read them :)

Stokie's a spas too. I did not know that.