• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuey

Sunbeds and health

The sickliest people I know are the permanently pale. The healthiest those who spend time in the sun... but not too much. 

The excessive tanners look ridiculous and their health reflects that. But in winter months surely we should be advised to have two 6minute sessions a week on sunbeds for our health.

Vitamin D shortage can't be remedied by milk or fish. Factor 50 sunscreen to be seen as bad as a cigarette in 20 years... 

There are surely at least some healthy people in Scotland and places further north than that, and they get no sun at all from about now until March. Or no sun that I would describe as worthy of the name at any rate.

So although I agree with you personally, it may not be simple.

And "they" want health messages to be simple, treating the public as imbeciles is a long tradition in the UK.

There's this bloke to consider as well. (He's a truck driver, guess which side of his face got the sun)

image.jpeg.ec1b6c97fb23dd0cb2cab7c1e95d915e.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Stuey said:

The sickliest people I know are the permanently pale. The healthiest those who spend time in the sun... but not too much. 

The excessive tanners look ridiculous and their health reflects that. But in winter months surely we should be advised to have two 6minute sessions a week on sunbeds for our health.

Vitamin D shortage can't be remedied by milk or fish. Factor 50 sunscreen to be seen as bad as a cigarette in 20 years... 

Is pale synonymous with 'untanned' 

I used to do an accountancy course with two indian brothers. Obviously they were dark, but it was more of a grey complexion than a 'healthy glow'

I notice a lot of first generation Indian immigrants have the same 'sallow but dark' look, particularly around the eyes, which are often almost black. I figure its working 20 hour days or something. 

Agree it has gone too far the other way as we need some sun. Lots of sunscreens are full of endocrine disruptors I see parents putting them on their children at 4/5pm can't see the point at that time. Not sure sunbeds would be a good idea sunny holiday better. Need to balance against sun cancer risk.

15 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

There are surely at least some healthy people in Scotland and places further north than that, and they get no sun at all from about now until March. Or no sun that I would describe as worthy of the name at any rate.

Agree I think we have probably evolved to have the optimal skin colour for our environment if we live where our ancestors did. I have red hair and hate being in the sun, should probably move up to Scotland as I find Kent too sunny!

4 minutes ago, maudit said:

Agree it has gone too far the other way as we need some sun. Lots of sunscreens are full of endocrine disruptors I see parents putting them on their children at 4/5pm can't see the point at that time. Not sure sunbeds would be a good idea sunny holiday better. Need to balance against sun cancer risk.

Agree I think we have probably evolved to have the optimal skin colour for our environment if we live where our ancestors did. I have red hair and hate being in the sun, should probably move up to Scotland as I find Kent too sunny!

Kent is foggy, and you wouldn't like Egypt.

Do not go out in daylight, and wear shades in the dark too!

3 hours ago, Stuey said:

What age?

banana.gif.094c398df8047fb3a5247550782dceb6.gifI'm going to Spain tomorrow 

3 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

So although I agree with you personally, it may not be simple.

And "they" want health messages to be simple, treating the public as imbeciles is a long tradition in the UK.

There's this bloke to consider as well. (He's a truck driver, guess which side of his face got the sun)

image.jpeg.ec1b6c97fb23dd0cb2cab7c1e95d915e.jpeg

I thought that's why Norse and Scottish people are often blonde or ginger,  to allow for  absorption in the summer months. Anyway it isn't limited to Scotland none of the UK population can possibly get enough vitamin D for 5 months of the year due to how far north we are,  IIRC. That's why it's a good idea to eat oily fish. 

(Can't say I've heard of it not being effective at remedying a shortage but may be wrong)

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

Kent is foggy, and you wouldn't like Egypt.

Do not go out in daylight, and wear shades in the dark too!

Actually Pinny it hit 22C here today. But once the fog subsided. :Jumping: