• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

Barlows Annual Tenancy Deposit Recovery Charabanc

We are moving out of our property prematurely because the landlord wants to sell ASAP and as our tenancy ends on the 3rd Jan we didn't want to be packing over Xmas. Landlord agreed to release us early without any deposit penalty. We found a suitable property so are moving this month. 

Been in contact with the agent today about arranging checkout. I want this done on the same day I hand over keys. Their response - we will do it when it suits and let you know. I sent them an extract from the DPS site which is an extract from DCH&LG statutory guidance about doing checkout ASAP with tenant present. 

This situation is further complicated by the fact the sales agent (different outfit of crooks) is chaffing at the bit to show people round for viewings. I have been ignoring his phone calls. If there is a gap there is the risk the sales agent will have people trudging through the house along with the conceivable prospect that the LL will make a visit to deposit a bottle of red wine over the worn carpet. 

Whats the betting:

• am I going to get b*mfucked by the Agent / Landlord
  • Have to fight for ages to get my deposit back (DPS again)
  • Will the deposit come back ASAP

Why on earth should the checkout inspection not be done on the day you leave?

I would put in writing that if it isn't done on that day then any issues later discovered are invalid.

Or just withhold the last month's rent and forget the deposit.

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I would put in writing that if it isn't done on that day then any issues later discovered are invalid.

I have made it clear I will photograph every wall, floor, ceiling, appliance, and exterior in detail. 

They have the last months rent already:(

7 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Whats the betting:

If the landlord and agents are horrible then likely they will try to keep the money. I had a thread on TOS when we got screwed over by a landlord served notice on us when we had only been there 9 months and had a 3 month old baby. Mother of landlord harrassed us to move out before we legally had to then they kept the deposit because of the garden. Garden was infested with bindweed when we moved in.

We are moving out our rental this month too also wondering how much of our money this lot will be stealing. 

Just now, maudit said:

If the landlord and agents are horrible then likely they will try to keep the money. I had a thread on TOS when we got screwed over by a landlord served notice on us when we had only been there 9 months and had a 3 month old baby. Mother of landlord harrassed us to move out before we legally had to then they kept the deposit because of the garden. Garden was infested with bindweed when we moved in.

We are moving out our rental this month too also wondering how much of our money this lot will be stealing. 

Earlier this year we moved out of our flat in January and the Landlord attempted to steal 850 off us for appliances that went wrong like the dishwasher leaking all over the floor. He offered to settle for 450. I told him to FO - went to the DPS and got every penny back. Still it was a lot of hassle and took 4 months. 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

We are moving out of our property prematurely because the landlord wants to sell ASAP and as our tenancy ends on the 3rd Jan we didn't want to be packing over Xmas. Landlord agreed to release us early without any deposit penalty. We found a suitable property so are moving this month. 

Been in contact with the agent today about arranging checkout. I want this done on the same day I hand over keys. Their response - we will do it when it suits and let you know. I sent them an extract from the DPS site which is an extract from DCH&LG statutory guidance about doing checkout ASAP with tenant present. 

This situation is further complicated by the fact the sales agent (different outfit of crooks) is chaffing at the bit to show people round for viewings. I have been ignoring his phone calls. If there is a gap there is the risk the sales agent will have people trudging through the house along with the conceivable prospect that the LL will make a visit to deposit a bottle of red wine over the worn carpet. 

Whats the betting:

The landlord can of course pay back the deposit at any time, when we rented once the LL paid back the deposit before we moved out  saying you probably need this for the next place. You are doing the LL a favour and so an inspection on the day you leave with deposit  before or on the day is feasible. If the LL is selling then in reality he cares not a jot about the property condition (bar massive damage) but may be a c*** and want more cash. The LL can and should insist the agent does the  one hour inspection on the day you move ... really the agents  are that busy they can't find an hour, bet they could for a viewing or appraisal of a new property to sell/rent. I guess saying no viewings until deposit back is an acceptable position as the viewer may tramp oil, tar, dirt around the place.

One other thought , if the check is done by a seperate company why not contact them directly. in a couple of cases when we rented the agent used an independent company to do the checks.

Edited by satch

17 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I have made it clear I will photograph every wall, floor, ceiling, appliance, and exterior in detail. 

They have the last months rent already:(

All may not be lost.

Have you given the LL written notice that you are moving out on such a date? If not you can play hardball with them and say that you've changed your mind about moving and that you won't be paying any further rent and the LL will have to go court to evict. That may give you a bit of leverage with regards to getting the deposit back early.

4 minutes ago, Joxer said:

All may not be lost.

Have you given the LL written notice that you are moving out on such a date? If not you can play hardball with them and say that you've changed your mind about moving and that you won't be paying any further rent and the LL will have to go court to evict. That may give you a bit of leverage with regards to getting the deposit back early.

Have already rented another place. 

The deposit is here nor there but I will be damned if I am going to lose it - always fight all the way. 

8 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Have already rented another place. 

The deposit is here nor there but I will be damned if I am going to lose it - always fight all the way. 

I had to go through the DPS last year with a twat of a LL after he wanted to sell up too. He wanted viewings for the last three months we were there - told him to lower the rent for the inconvenience of f-off. Tried to take us for loads (2 grand!!!) of trumped up charges including £30 for one dodgy bulb. Got every penny back but as you say, took time.

But will say this for the DPS, it nearly always favours the renter from experience and what i've heard.

53 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

trash his car if he is a kunt.probably not the solution that your thinking off.but get it done the same night or the night after you ring.he will conect the incidents but your in a hotel miles away with an allaby or at a friends .if he continues to be a kunt do it again.dont have it burnt btw paint strippers the best bet and quieter 

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

trash his car if he is a kunt.probably not the solution that your thinking off.but get it done the same night or the night after you ring.he will conect the incidents but your in a hotel miles away with an allaby or at a friends .if he continues to be a kunt do it again.dont have it burnt btw paint strippers the best bet and quieter 

This one for your mindset. Its a relative of Japanese Knotweed but not illegal. Most people will see it and think JKW!

https://www.sundaygardener.co.uk/fallopia_also_known_as_mile_a_minute_plant.html

Plant it out and give the LL a nice springtime surprise. 

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

This one for your mindset. Its a relative of Japanese Knotweed but not illegal. Most people will see it and think JKW!

https://www.sundaygardener.co.uk/fallopia_also_known_as_mile_a_minute_plant.html

Just empty the place and take loads of photos to send to DPS. They're only interested in doors kicked off hinges and broken bathroom china etc.

Our agency put in loads of shit about dry-cleaning the curtains before leaving. We ignored it all and left the place in a reasonable condition.

....then pay a visit with the knotweed.

Not sure what it is about the mentality of residential property LLs that they seem to universally think this attitude is ok. We have rental vehicles on long term hire with deposits paid, sure they'd keep the deposit if the bonnet was stoved in but they don't try and hang on to it because the tyres have worn 4mm and the engine oil has more contaminants in it.

Probably needs something with the deposit scheme where there's black marks for LLs found to be unreasonably witholding deposits that the LL is charged an escalating amount for use of the scheme as a deterrent. The blackmark could be linked to the actual address which would make it trickier to sell the property to another slumlord or something.

I doubt it's something you ever really 'win' in terms of the LL accepting they were being an unreasonable and greedy cunt and probably rationalise it as a conspiracy between the deposit scheme and tenants.

11 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Not sure what it is about the mentality of residential property LLs that they seem to universally think this attitude is ok. We have rental vehicles on long term hire with deposits paid, sure they'd keep the deposit if the bonnet was stoved in but they don't try and hang on to it because the tyres have worn 4mm and the engine oil has more contaminants in it.

Probably needs something with the deposit scheme where there's black marks for LLs found to be unreasonably witholding deposits that the LL is charged an escalating amount for use of the scheme as a deterrent. The blackmark could be linked to the actual address which would make it trickier to sell the property to another slumlord or something.

I doubt it's something you ever really 'win' in terms of the LL accepting they were being an unreasonable and greedy cunt and probably rationalise it as a conspiracy between the deposit scheme and tenants.

There should be a straight forward ban on taking deposits. We have that here in Ontario and it doesn’t prevent anyone renting places out. If the tenants damage the place then the landlord is free to sue them in the small claims court (we have an equivalent) but almost none do because they almost never have a case to begin with.

8 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

There should be a straight forward ban on taking deposits. We have that here in Ontario and it doesn’t prevent anyone renting places out. If the tenants damage the place then the landlord is free to sue them in the small claims court (we have an equivalent) but almost none do because they almost never have a case to begin with.

There should be repercussions for unreasonable withholding of deposits - a 10% inconvenience charge perhaps. If you offer a no-lose scenario most of these chancers will take it. They have no scruples. 

The io  btl and ee fuckwittery has seen 4-10 letting agencies open up in most towns - nail bard, kurdish barbers, black hairdressers, letying agents.

They are all useless fucking scum.

They will die when fees are removed.

Hahahaha.

A video camera and a fresh newspaper to show the date. 

I've been there when an agent did an exit survey of the property. It was incredibly. They'd got a chart showing holes in the wall and counted them to make sure there were no extra.
It was more shocking by the fact they listed the uncovered electrical wiring at the bottom of the stairs on the inspection report - yes it'd not been altered since the tenant moved in. 

The property only needs to be in the same state as when you started renting it. If they'd professionally cleaned the carpets before you moved in then there's some argument to have the same done when you leave. but I think that's excessive unless you've smoked, in which case maybe. 
The oven, the freezer, the skirting boards and the bathroom walls. They're areas to concentrate on. 
If you've ever made any changes to decor with landlords permission in writing then provide a copy of that.

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

A video camera and a fresh newspaper to show the date. 

I've been there when an agent did an exit survey of the property. It was incredibly. They'd got a chart showing holes in the wall and counted them to make sure there were no extra.
It was more shocking by the fact they listed the uncovered electrical wiring at the bottom of the stairs on the inspection report - yes it'd not been altered since the tenant moved in. 

The property only needs to be in the same state as when you started renting it. If they'd professionally cleaned the carpets before you moved in then there's some argument to have the same done when you leave. but I think that's excessive unless you've smoked, in which case maybe. 
The oven, the freezer, the skirting boards and the bathroom walls. They're areas to concentrate on. 
If you've ever made any changes to decor with landlords permission in writing then provide a copy of that.

Covered by wear n tear.

Damage yes, a point.

Scuffs and what not from living in tge house - nope.

13 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

As you are an EHO I'm sure you know what one of these is and how nice it is behind a bath panel for one to live.

Bag 'n' tag one next time you are out an about.

501496262_fruitingbody.jpeg.ee140dafb2be76d60ac0ce61dbe99ed8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

As you are an EHO I'm sure you know what one of these is and how nice it is behind a bath panel for one to live.

hmm fruity pizza.

20 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

In all seriousness if you want some rhizomes from real Japanese knotweed and are happy to provide an address i can post some out. Or if you're near to Tunbridge Wells I can tell you where to pick some easily. :D

Best to plant some ground elder and mares tail too, they're almost as bad. Again I can provide...:Old:

6 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

What the hell is that?! (Looks like some sort of a rough treacle tart.)