• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sugarlips

The 3 decades of Kylie appreciation thread

3 hours ago, UmBongo said:

My favourite tune of hers is 'Confide in Me' from around 1996 when her music career was in a lull. Her recent stuff sounds alright too.

Indeed I was just about to get to that reinvention era, here is Confide In Me live on totp

Also from that album is this tune which had an awesome Barbarella style video but here it is live on mtv 

41 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Indeed I was just about to get to that reinvention era, here is Confide In Me live on totp

Great live performance! :)

The women standing around Malcolm McLaren before and after Kylie's performance look as miserable as sin. xD

On 08/10/2018 at 23:54, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Perhaps I'm a little bit mean, but to me Kylie was always more pleasing on the eye than on the ear. Hence peak Kylie was in the 90s.

The videos posted on this thread seem to back that up... :)

Her early vocals were diabolical as evidenced by the sheer amount of trickery employed on I Should Be So Lucky and especially The Locomotion.

Some of that is perhaps the weirdness of the mics (Nerd alert: "Calrec Soundfield" springs to mind) but most of it is blurring, flanging and overdubbing to try to get her in tune; witness the unnatural mushing of the word "locomotion".

She became famous first and learned to sing later. After she'd already released a stack of records.

There's one missing from this thread and it's the big one for me. May I venture, one of the finest pop songs ever.

But then, that holds particular memories for me. Memories of some of the best nights of my life.

Saturday night at G-A-Y in London. 00:30.

That track comes in. The promoter does his voice over in the long intro. And down come the balloons.

I have no video but here's one posted from the last night of G-A-Y at the London Astoria before it changed venue. It remains a life regret that I wasn't there that night. We were up on that stage most Saturdays. This has me in floods of tears,

5 hours ago, DTMark said:

There's one missing from this thread and it's the big one for me. May I venture, one of the finest pop songs ever.

Sure I read somewhere that she was wearing a ring marked "M" (for Michael) in that video that she kept trying to get into the shot.

My personal opinion is that none of Kylie's own stuff has been particularly worth listening to since she split with SAW (though over time I've come to quite like Confide In Me, and Put Yourself In My Place), but I do like this:

And I reckon this is great:

I can well remember when Spinning Around came out and started Kylie's resurgence into the mainstream; I was 20 or 21 and I recall being surprised that she'd managed to stage a comeback after being out of the charts for what felt like ages to me; in reality it had only been 8 years since her last SAW singles. That was 19 years ago and it doesn't seem like long at all. Human time perception is a funny thing.