• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Royal Mail ... merged with Royal Leadbrick.

Some of you may be aware of the plunge in RMs share price.

Ive never worked for RM. RM are this weird hardline luddite org, staffed with idiot managers and stroppy workers.

From the CWU head union honcho FB

https://www.facebook.com/ThecommunicationsUnion

Terry Pullinger on the Royal Mail Share Price...... 2197.png↗️

Commenting on this story, CWUs Deputy General Secretary (Postal), Terry Pullinger, said:

“We never agreed with the privatisation of Royal Mail or the ‘free’ shares that were given to our members.

These schemes are considered a good idea based on the theory that they give workers a say in the running of the organisation and a personal interest in its success.

When workers have absolutely no say in advanced predictions on profit – which may well be overly – optimistic, the share is worth less the moment reality kicks in.

Figures lie and liars figure and this is yet another demonstration of the fact that our people’s post is under constant threat.

The service is judged by share price and unrealistic targets when its success should be measured by the delivery of first-class connectivity and service to the communities and business of this country.

It’s high time that we ended the privatisation agenda and renationalised the service, taking the focus away from profiteering and back to a publicly owned postal service that is the envy of the world.

Bit of a stretch, When has RM been the envy of the world FFS? Surely the unions have more than one ctachphrase to justify their existence? Evnvy of the world is getting a bit tired.

Its is being judged by  what they do - deliver stuff from one place to another FFS.

Apparently the free shares were vested for 5 years. 5 years is now, just as RM are starting to have problems, so all the poasties bribe shares are below strike price/worth less than they thought.

All hedge funds betting against the workers.

'Darren Seeney In Tory Britain everything has a price, I remember a song called Shopping by the Pet Shop Boys, if you listen to the lyrics you'll understand Why, this country and its public services are being flogged off to make £££ for the men in suits and left rot for the rest of us, can only see the Postal Service run down it will all come down to it being denoted as not economical viable.'

All these posties, working for free.

I'm in two minds about the privatisation of public utilities.  There is certainly a conflict in the introduction of the profit motive into a service which is essential to everyone and where there is an implied monopoly (even where is some made up attempt to introduce 'market forces' -- for the most part these just give the illusion of competition).  Yet at the same time, it is obvious to me that privatisation has completely changed awkward and middling services into organisations that at least sort-of try to cope with customer needs (the great example being BT -- I remember not being able to buy a Modem in the UK just because the GPO quite liked its monopoly, thank you very much).

But RMG is actually one that I'd say could be privatised.  With the introduction of email the world has changed in the way 'essential notices' are delivered.  Sure, there's still some space for official communications, etc, but for the most part the world of 'sending information to someone' has changed markedly in the last 20 years.

I quite like concept of 'the local postman' (and our local postwoman is particularly likeable), but perhaps my thoughts are like I had towards the milkman, the paperboy or the petrol pump attendant -- the world moves on, whether you like it or not.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Bit of a stretch, When has RM been the envy of the world FFS? Surely the unions have more than one ctachphrase to justify their existence? Evnvy of the world is getting a bit tired.

That's why we don't put our country's name on stamps.

Which makes me wonder why there's not been a high profile anti-Brexit scare story about how Brexit will mean longer delays for mail deliveries and oodles of lost post because... well... Brexit innit?

40 minutes ago, dgul said:

I'm in two minds about the privatisation of public utilities.  There is certainly a conflict in the introduction of the profit motive into a service which is essential to everyone and where there is an implied monopoly (even where is some made up attempt to introduce 'market forces' -- for the most part these just give the illusion of competition).  Yet at the same time, it is obvious to me that privatisation has completely changed awkward and middling services into organisations that at least sort-of try to cope with customer needs (the great example being BT -- I remember not being able to buy a Modem in the UK just because the GPO quite liked its monopoly, thank you very much).

But RMG is actually one that I'd say could be privatised.  With the introduction of email the world has changed in the way 'essential notices' are delivered.  Sure, there's still some space for official communications, etc, but for the most part the world of 'sending information to someone' has changed markedly in the last 20 years.

I quite like concept of 'the local postman' (and our local postwoman is particularly likeable), but perhaps my thoughts are like I had towards the milkman, the paperboy or the petrol pump attendant -- the world moves on, whether you like it or not.

Some areas havd natrural monoplies - trains in particular. Any competition needs thinking thru.

Post office is not one of these things now. Maybe it was before email n web.

2 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

That's why we don't put our country's name on stamps.

Which makes me wonder why there's not been a high profile anti-Brexit scare story about how Brexit will mean longer delays for mail deliveries and oodles of lost post because... well... Brexit innit?

How long did the envy last?

Most mail is a bit daft. Last mile is nuts.

42 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Post office is not one of these things now. Maybe it was before email n web.

Remember, Post Office is not Royal Mail. Completely different animal.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Some of you may be aware of the plunge in RMs share price.

Ive never worked for RM. RM are this weird hardline luddite org, staffed with idiot managers and stroppy workers.

From the CWU head union honcho FB

https://www.facebook.com/ThecommunicationsUnion

Terry Pullinger on the Royal Mail Share Price...... 2197.png↗️

Commenting on this story, CWUs Deputy General Secretary (Postal), Terry Pullinger, said:

“We never agreed with the privatisation of Royal Mail or the ‘free’ shares that were given to our members.

These schemes are considered a good idea based on the theory that they give workers a say in the running of the organisation and a personal interest in its success.

When workers have absolutely no say in advanced predictions on profit – which may well be overly – optimistic, the share is worth less the moment reality kicks in.

Figures lie and liars figure and this is yet another demonstration of the fact that our people’s post is under constant threat.

The service is judged by share price and unrealistic targets when its success should be measured by the delivery of first-class connectivity and service to the communities and business of this country.

It’s high time that we ended the privatisation agenda and renationalised the service, taking the focus away from profiteering and back to a publicly owned postal service that is the envy of the world.

Its is being judged by  what they do - deliver stuff from one place to another FFS.

Apparently the free shares were vested for 5 years. 5 years is now, just as RM are starting to have problems, so all the poasties bribe shares are below strike price/worth less than they thought.

All hedge funds betting against the workers.

'Darren Seeney In Tory Britain everything has a price, I remember a song called Shopping by the Pet Shop Boys, if you listen to the lyrics you'll understand Why, this country and its public services are being flogged off to make £££ for the men in suits and left rot for the rest of us, can only see the Postal Service run down it will all come down to it being denoted as not economical viable.'

All these posties, working for free.

I have worked for Royal Mail for nearly 30 years and I confirm that your analysis is correct in that it is full of idiot managers and stroppy workers.

Although it does have huge potential if it was ran properly.

With electronic communication there is very little need for any information to be printed on paper, folded, put into an envelope and then for someone to put it through the door of a building.

The concept of a cheery "postie" delivering your letters every morning just doesn't apply to the majority of people any more.  Things have moved on.

Royal Mail is well on the way to becoming just another parcel delivery service and that's what they should focus on.

11 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

I have worked for Royal Mail for nearly 30 years and I confirm that your analysis is correct in that it is full of idiot managers and stroppy workers.

Although it does have huge potential if it was ran properly.

The link came via an old school mate ehos now a posty.

He posts othe cwu issues - ongoing petty dtuff about size and round distance.

One thing ive heard from multiple people in multipke rehions is thst, despite the cwu website about equality andd all thst, the post is restricted to blokes. Veryfew women last for long.

Very similar to the trains.

Strangley, buses, where they are mainly private and not heavily unionised, manages to have a lot more female drivers.

7 minutes ago, spygirl said:

One thing ive heard from multiple people in multipke rehions is thst, despite the cwu website about equality andd all thst, the post is restricted to blokes. Veryfew women last for long.

Very similar to the trains.

Strangley, buses, where they are mainly private and not heavily unionised, manages to have a lot more female drivers.

Its not my experience of working for Royal Mail as there are plenty of Women who work there and are as good as anyone else although we do have a few that want equality and preferential treatment at the same time.

Posted (edited)

There is no reason why the mail should be a monopoly, private or public-owned.

I saw a documentary on RM some years ago, i was clear that the management were clueless. The unionised workforce took the piss. One EE postal sorter couldn't read UK addresses. He sat on a pile of mail that he didn't know how to sort. The Unions wouldn't let him be sacked; the idiot management shouldn't have hired him in the first place.

The management issued delivery trolleys that were not fit for purpose and got nicked whenever a postie abandoned it to deliver mail to upper floors of blocks of flats. The trolleys constantly broke, so there was a mountain of broken trolleys in a room back at the PO.

It's mostly junk mail and parcels now. RM have not adapted to it.

The service is still better than those c***s at Hermes though.

Postal deliveries used to be twice a day, once on Sundays, and at a reliable time. No chance now.

I have an ancient postcard my Grandfather sent to my Gran in the 1920s. He sent it at lunchtime telling her he would be late home from work that evening.

Nationalising the RM will not fix it. I think it was already beyond saving when it was privatised.

Edited by Happy Renting

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re not the most polluting company in the UK.

Culture amongst staff of zero customer service and they’re doing everyone a massive favour probably can’t be undone.

Charities and government mailings keep it going on the letters side.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

True.

What does anyone think about Post Office? Last I checked they were majority government owned still. Have they got a future? 

2 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

As a collector of collectables I love receiving stuff in the mail as I don't have to collect it.

So how many Dominos pizza leaflets have you got now?

8 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Culture amongst staff of zero customer service and they’re doing everyone a massive favour probably can’t be undone.

You mean those ropey old leyland vans?

7 minutes ago, SNACR said:

The guy on the collections desk at our sorting office is like something out of a 1970's Two Ronnies sketch about British Rail. What he knows about customer service could be written on the back of a postage stamp, which he would then find some arbitrary reason to refuse to sell to you.

Just now, spygirl said:

You mean those ropey old leyland vans?

Biggest fleet in the UK. In the midst of ‘green’ hysteria they quietly ditched all their push bikes and replaced with diesel vans. Pretty sure there was a media blackout on this rather massive change.

What’s even more surprising is the very familiar sight of the postie, on his bike, disappeared overnight without the public even noticing.

1 minute ago, eight said:

The guy on the collections desk at our sorting office is like something out of a 1970's Two Ronnies sketch about British Rail. What he knows about customer service could be written on the back of a postage stamp, which he would then find some arbitrary reason to refuse to sell to you.

When i started work, one  of the top managers had a strict - No ex public sector workers policy.

He reckoned that even if the person started off diligent and dedkcated, 3 years in the public sector - any bit - would make them unemployable without going thru a major brain washing.

Just wait till you get Roper Post (tm) and they confiscate you packages and paint a K on you door.

Kuwait sovereign fund is known to have ordered "hundreds of millions" of Royal Mail shares.

2 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Biggest fleet in the UK. In the midst of ‘green’ hysteria they quietly ditched all their push bikes and replaced with diesel vans. Pretty sure there was a media blackout on this rather massive change.

What’s even more surprising is the very familiar sight of the postie, on his bike, disappeared overnight without the public even noticing.

Only fleet in the world.

Any sane fleet manger would laugh thrir tits off at the suggestion of using the arseend of british leyland.

Probably some union solidarity rule thing, back in 60s.

This is because this job is reserved for Postman that are obnoxious malingerers with some kind of bogus ailment to get out of delivering Mail.

These Twats ask me for I.D when I collect a parcel even though I am wearing a Royal Mail uniform and I have worked there much longer than they have.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

This is because this job is reserved for Postman that are obnoxious malingerers with some kind of bogus ailment to get out of delivering Mail.

These Twats ask me for I.D when I collect a parcel even though I am wearing a Royal Mail uniform and I have worked there much longer than they have.

More than their jobs worth..

You could have some sort of uniform fetish.....

Edited by spygirl