DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Moneyland

Sugarlips

The author of this book was on the radio earlier, looks like a good read.

its all about how the super rich hide their wealth in offshore tax havens and through shell companies 

a stand out stat; the total wealth held offshore makes it equivalent to being the 3rd biggest economy in the world behind China and the US. And tax havens are a relatively recent phenomenon so that money/wealth extraction has happened just in the last 50 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/sep/07/moneyland-oliver-bullough-review

The author must be talking about the Carribean tax havens as being a recent thing. What about the channel islands? The square mile in London dates back an awfully long time. 

4 hours ago, georgist said:

Yep, I'm aware of the film and already shared it here :D

The rich have been using trusts as far back as the knight's Templar. The likes of caymans are just extensions of long-running schemes so nothing new. Tbh I think they're more of distraction as the City of London is the puppet master. The public has no idea what's going on and it's easier to point the finger at the Carribean and a few celebs than look at what's going on our own doorstep xD

2 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

The rich have been using trusts as far back as the knight's Templar. The likes of caymans are just extensions of long-running schemes so nothing new. Tbh I think they're more of distraction as the City of London is the puppet master. The public has no idea what's going on and it's easier to point the finger at the Carribean and a few celebs than look at what's going on our own doorstep xD

The Swiss have been at it for quite a while haven’t they?  

1 minute ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Do you mean the likes of the swiss guard or the bankers? xD

I was think hiding money so the banks I guess. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

I was think hiding money so the banks I guess. 

They're probably one of the same things by extension really. But yes they have experience but from what I understand volume is tiny compared to the City of London and the Channel Islands.

1 minute ago, Admiral Pepe said:

They're probably one of the same things by extension really. But yes they have experience but from what I understand volume is tiny compared to the City of London and the Channel Islands.

What? You mean the city of London is corrupt?  No. 

Bricks & Mortar

Gotta thank you folks for the spidersweb tip.  I'd heard of the movie.  But now I'm actually watching it.  I'm an hour in, and calling it a triumph of independent film making.

23 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

that film has the perspective that it's run from The City and used as a layer of indirection

21 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Gotta thank you folks for the spidersweb tip.  I'd heard of the movie.  But now I'm actually watching it.  I'm an hour in, and calling it a triumph of independent film making.

share it with others, the more people that understand that the UK is facilitating money laundering the better. How many lives are cost in helping someone avoid taxes in a developing country, where clean water and hospitals are desperately required?

On 06/10/2018 at 15:00, georgist said:

Really good. The gripping story it recounts is so weird, it is at first hard to believe, like an Adam Curtis documentary. 

The MEP says at 1:00  Ordinary people are paying taxes; rich people are not,  so this is inequality and it is leading up to populism because it shows so clearly that the people today  leading the world are not able to take care of the interests of ordinary people.

Very sad to see the continued persecution by the state of this man  at 0:49. One of many, I'm afraid.

Archived