• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Game_of_Homes

"Grenfell's Tory council demands powers to SEIZE 1,652 empty multi-million pound in Kensington and Chelsea to house social tenants in wake of tragedy" - Daily Mail

28 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Is not Kensington and Chelsea one of those few places in the UK where the number of registered voters has declined ? 

Nah multiplied.

Ask Sameer, hell get 100 votes.

58 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Let them start with all the MPs’ second homes.

Very few, if any, of those in Kensington & Chelsea these days. Either way though, I don't see how seizure - as opposed to compulsory purchase - of property outside of a proceeds of crime action would ever survive a court challenge. Mind you, it would be pretty bloody funny to see the Candy brothers have one of their ridiculous creations taken from them and given to a bunch of third world chancers. Poetic justice in many way.

12 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Number of people registered to vote in Council Elections fell  -8.2% between 2014-15 according to the ONS

It was a joke! We joke on this site about stuff!!

The voting demographics of KnC must be wierd - over 55s in ex council housing.

51 minutes ago, dgul said:

1,652.  Hmm.  Remind me how many flats there were at Grenfell?

There were  138 'families' to re-house  (the tower itself; 116  plus the low-level block next door; 22) however theses people  now need 203 new flats so basically 1.5 flats per 'family'

'And from the So-Called BBC ...... And as of 13 June, 364 days after the fire, the council has committed over £235m to secure 307 homes, most but not all of which has now been spent.

The survivors, who lived in 138 of the flats in the tower and the adjacent Grenfell Walk, have now split into 203 households - 116 from the tower and 22 from the walk.'

and so .... ' The council says it has committed to securing 307 homes to provide the 203 households with a choice of properties.'

I will do the sums for you ...council committed to £235,000,000 to secure 307 homes so  £1,700,000 spend for each 'family' or £750,000 per new home, I have of course ignored the hotel bills as to be fair they needed to stay somewhere but probably not for a year as most of them kept turning down flats that were offered.

The story is DM BS.

There is no way the Council - least of all the Tory Council of London's richest Borough - would attempt to confiscate property from the rich and powerful.

K&C Council is attempting to persuade owners of empty properties to allow them to arrange the letting & management of properties that are otherwise unused.  Effectively acting as letting managers. I doubt there will be many takers, the empty properties are probably investments.

16 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

The story is DM BS.

There is no way the Council - least of all the Tory Council of London's richest Borough - would attempt to confiscate property from the rich and powerful.

K&C Council is attempting to persuade owners of empty properties to allow them to arrange the letting & management of properties that are otherwise unused.  Effectively acting as letting managers. I doubt there will be many takers, the empty properties are probably investments.

There's big money in letting to councils who'll fill properties with the migrant scourge and pay a pretty penny. Not sure about in that part of London but elsewhere in the country I know of a landlord getting 3x the usual rate for some quote unquote Syrian refugees. He lives miles away so doesn't have to face the neighbours. 

Although apparently he's still had threats from those having to live next door. 

15 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

the rich should just set light to them so they are uninhabitable. Land will stil be there.

I thought you meant the migrants for a moment then. 

Even for Dosbods that's extremexD

24 minutes ago, spunko said:

There's big money in letting to councils who'll fill properties with the migrant scourge and pay a pretty penny. Not sure about in that part of London but elsewhere in the country I know of a landlord getting 3x the usual rate for some quote unquote Syrian refugees. He lives miles away so doesn't have to face the neighbours. 

Although apparently he's still had threats from those having to live next door. 

Waiting in a queue to get a flu jab this morning the guy in front of me was talking / boasting about how much he was making from letting HMO's to migrants. 

43 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

The story is DM BS.

Many of the owners are so rich they've probably forgotten they own the places at all or maybe didn't even know in the first place. Also, how do they determine the places are unoccupied to start with? E.g. does Michael Bloomberg's place still count as empty if he stays there twice a year for a few weeks? It's all nonsense of stilts as BoJo likes to put it.

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

Is Corbyn PM already?

I have many friends and relatives in Britain still and it's not impossible I'll move home at some point myself but, all the same, I have this guilty desire to see Corbyn as PM. The opportunity to say 'I told you so' to so many utter tossers is just too attractive to turn down.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

They could just put them on the next flight back to their own country....

100k cladding refurb, hotel accommodation and £500 per week subsistence, multi million pound council flat requisition plus future bennies and disability...will all be paid back in short order by their taxes probably by next year at the latest... I'm assured by the So-Called BBC. How can we allow them to go back now.

Possibility 1 - tories are getting worried that the have-nots are outnumbering the haves even in the choicest London Boroughs, and are going to do hitherto unimaginable things to rectify the gulf between rich and poor (stupid...Grenfell should have been used as an excuse to kick out the probable 10s of thousands of illegals in that borough alone...they'll never vote tory)

Possibility 2 - They'll be 'seized' at market value + X% as it becomes apparent London property is on the precipice of a monumental fall in values.

My money is on the latter. A bailout for billionaires masquerading as social justice. They'll probably be sold on at the bottom of the cycle to the next generation of banksters for ~25% of what the taxpayer had to buy the last owners out for. 

58 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

I have many friends and relatives in Britain still and it's not impossible I'll move home at some point myself but, all the same, I have this guilty desire to see Corbyn as PM. The opportunity to say 'I told you so' to so many utter tossers is just too attractive to turn down.

Im honestly not sure where Corbyn is going to increase taxes. Most his support (in the Cambridge area at least) seems to come from lawyers, headmasters, doctors, lecturers...ie, people who might not see themselves that way, but are almost certainly in the 1% in terms of the household income. He aint going to increase taxes on them. 

Last election all his promises were going to be paid for by a transaction tax that I believe fails to get even 1 billion in France.

Im sure he'll put taxes up on corporations, maybe even link it to revenues instead of profits. None of which will produce much tax revenue.