• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Amputation

Recommended Posts

100 operations a week to amputate limbs. Lots where it's grim up North (I think they said Middlesborough but not found any bbc online stuff for the story yet). Costs 1% of the NHS budget.
They've making advances by pushing treatments to people in need faster and that's reducing the number massively.

It's a riskier operation than open heart surgery - risk rates 12% compared to 1%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, This Time said:

And most of them could be prevented if they didn't tell diabetics to eat lots of carbs.

Lots of clogged arteries from smoking for years and years whilst eating lard pies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lots of clogged arteries from smoking for years and years whilst eating lard pies.

Two thirds of amputations in the US are due to diabetes, I'd assume it's similar here. If they're trying to paint lard, or even smoking, as the main culprit then they're spreading fake news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

100 operations a week to amputate limbs. Lots where it's grim up North (I think they said Middlesborough but not found any bbc online stuff for the story yet). Costs 1% of the NHS budget.
They've making advances by pushing treatments to people in need faster and that's reducing the number massively.

It's a riskier operation than open heart surgery - risk rates 12% compared to 1%

Diabbetes.

Fat lazy fuckers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lots of clogged arteries from smoking for years and years whilst eating lard pies.

Nope.

99% will be diabetes.

As much as smoking n lard clog, they cause sttokes and heart failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lots of clogged arteries from smoking for years and years whilst eating lard pies.

oooh I fancy a lard pie now, I'll have a look in the fridge to see what's in stock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sounds a lot.  Trouble with numbers, though is you start off with 'big' when you're talking about populations.

So, 5,000 a year, against 65+ population (main risk group?) of 12 million or so -- so 0.05% of the retired population have an amputation per year.  Or, over a 20 year retirement about 1% of folk have an amputation.  

Next -- have things changed?  Is this number (as a %age -- remember there's loads more old folk than there used to be) way different than it used to be.  I really don't know, but I do know that 20+ years ago there were a fair number of amputations going on.  Also, it is a 'longevity' problem -- as more people refuse to die early, do the amputations later on in life start piling up (in Liverpool, apparently)?

Then there's that 1% of NHS costs.  I can actually believe this, but only in 'a wider picture' -- people who have amputations are often at the sticky end of life, so will have all sorts of problems on the way in and way out of surgery.

But, as a more general comment -- Direct treatment for diabetes currently costs about 10% of NHS budget, and if you include indirect costs (such as any amputations due to diabetes) it's up to about 1/4.  This is a ridiculous figure -- you'd think 'something must be done', but all we get is a few prompts here and there, usually in the wrong direction (low fat isn't working!  Eat even less fat!).

Carbs.  Sure, I can believe this.  50 years of fat is the problem, carbs the solution -- and we've got an ever increasingly massive (ha!) problem with diabetes.  

[My son is currently studying diet as part of his indoctrination programme at school -- I've warned him that if he suggests that fat might be good in a diet and carbs bad the teacher won't use it as a point for discussion -- he'll simply think that son is an idiot and go over it again more slowly]

Edited by dgul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Wonder how many of them are NHS nurses?!

NHS diabetes nurses...

11 minutes ago, dgul said:

Sounds a lot.  Trouble with numbers, though is you start off with 'big' when you're talking about populations.

So, 5,000 a year, against 65+ population (main risk group?) of 12 million or so -- so 0.05% of the retired population have an amputation per year.  Or, over a 20 year retirement about 1% of folk have an amputation.  

Next -- have things changed?  Is this number (as a %age -- remember there's loads more old folk than there used to be) way different than it used to be.  I really don't know, but I do know that 20+ years ago there were a fair number of amputations going on.  Also, it is a 'longevity' problem -- as more people refuse to die early, do the amputations later on in life start piling up (in Liverpool, apparently)?

Then there's that 1% of NHS costs.  I can actually believe this, but only in 'a wider picture' -- people who have amputations are often at the sticky end of life, so will have all sorts of problems on the way in and way out of surgery.

But, as a more general comment -- Direct treatment for diabetes currently costs about 10% of NHS budget, and if you include indirect costs (such as any amputations due to diabetes) it's up to about 1/4.  This is a ridiculous figure -- you'd think 'something must be done', but all we get is a few prompts here and there, usually in the wrong direction (low fat isn't working!  Eat even less fat!).

Carbs.  Sure, I can believe this.  50 years of fat is the problem, carbs the solution -- and we've got an ever increasingly massive (ha!) problem with diabetes.  

[My son is currently studying diet as part of his indoctrination programme at school -- I've warned him that if he suggests that fat might be good in a diet and carbs bad the teacher won't use it as a point for discussion -- he'll simply think that son is an idiot and go over it again more slowly]

Dont forget tge lazy fat fuckers being signed off work.

Chuck in medical cost and lost tax revenue and DLA and youve got a huge fucking number.

Seriuously, weigh people wjo want benefits or dla. Get them to cone back when they are skinny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, spygirl said:

NHS diabetes nurses...

Dont forget tge lazy fat fuckers being signed off work.

Chuck in medical cost and lost tax revenue and DLA and youve got a huge fucking number.

Seriuously, weigh people wjo want benefits or dla. Get them to cone back when they are skinny.

There was a story in the news recently about forcing children to use cycle machines at school.  They'd be better off getting obese people to do this to 'earn' treatment.

But it wouldn't actually work as they'd only pay migrant labour to do it for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.