• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
wherebee

Cars for the non-petrolheads

I know a lot of you are petrol heads and good with your hands, so to speak.  For those of us speccy twats who don;t know a gasket from a..... something else...... what's the DOSBODS recommendation for brands to prefer for second hand cars; i.e. those that won't break down on the motorway at 2am in a thunderstorm with your wife in it?

1 minute ago, wherebee said:

I know a lot of you are petrol heads and good with your hands, so to speak.  For those of us speccy twats who don;t know a gasket from a..... something else...... what's the DOSBODS recommendation for brands to prefer for second hand cars; i.e. those that won't break down on the motorway at 2am in a thunderstorm with your wife in it?

Aston Martin. 

Toyota or Honda or Mazda.

Or any other Japanese make is fair bet. I own a British built Nissan which hasn't let me down but I think the aforementioned 3 are better bets.

4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Honda Civic. The 1.8 engine is practically bombproof. 140 horses so adequate if unexciting performance. Brilliant interior design and seats. Only fault is hardish suspension

Skoda

I had half a dozen Mazda 6s about ten years ago and they all had terminally worn piston rings by the 100k mark.

Best thing is to look at what there’s still big  numbers on the road of say 7-10 years ago and try and find a good late model of before a totally new version was launched.

Got a Yaris up to 170,000 miles before selling it. Not so impressed with newer Yaris (French made rather than Japanese)). Now got a Skoda which I hope to get the same out of and last another 8-10 years.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Skoda

I had half a dozen Mazda 6s about ten years ago and they all had terminally worn piston rings by the 100k mark.

Best thing is to look at what there’s still big  numbers on the road of say 7-10 years ago and try and find a good late model of before a totally new version was launched.

Thank you - that's smart thinking.

Now, to add a bit of salt to the mix - what with it being Australia, and near the sea, we need to worry about good aircon (can get to almost 50C some days) and rust proof.  

I see this and think OK..... how the hell do I know if its worth that or not?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/SKODA-Superb-2011/SSE-AD-5662506/?Cr=3 

Edited by wherebee

Honda, we have a CRV - very reliable so far - 6 years old. I would also add Volvo but only based on one I had a few years ago that had done 170k and apart from normally wear and tear nothing went wrong on it - I don't have very current experience of them so they may have gone to shit (they had very comfy seats as well).

41 minutes ago, wherebee said:

Porsche.

Without a doubt.

Japanese and Petrol

Honda, Toyota or Mazda.  Not Nissan.

Ford's a good shout too.

You'll pay a bit more for Honda, but well worth it.  Good shout on the Mazda rust issue, hopefully they've got it sorted now, but they've got themselves a reputation for it.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Toyota or Honda or Mazda.

Or any other Japanese make is fair bet. I own a British built Nissan which hasn't let me down but I think the aforementioned 3 are better bets.

Mazda use a lot of ford parts /cross platform sharing in the UK EU 

Toyota or Honda are a good bet i would also say Skoda ,most UK Nissans are mostly Renault 

I say Skoda for one reason,they use second generation VAG parts generally all the niggles and faults have been well ironed out by the time Skoda gets them

Edited by Long time lurking

Had my last Yaris for ten years, and this one for 4, never lifted the bonnet on either myself. Got all those mod cons on this new one too (power steering, CD player, aircon, electric windows)...more to go wrong I guess but touch wood....

26 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Toyota Avensis is bomb proof. I bought one in 2005. My Dad bought it off me, and then my Brother off him. Now one of Brothers mates drives it and hasn't had any serious issues. 

The 1.8 petrol engines are a bit shit, design issue with the pistons leads to gummed up rings and oil consumption.

My experience and reading is that pretty much any volume production car these days will be very good and reliable.

The days of the 70s and 80s where buying the "wrong" car was a very expensive mistake is long behind us.

So your concerns shoudl be condition, age, number of onwers and mileage rather than the badge.