• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Dropping dead at marathons

Recommended Posts

Don't know if it's more likely than it ever was. I'm inclined to think you've got alot more people doing marathons as a challenge rather than having most people there actually ready fit and able to undertake it. 

Or could just be more people doing these things so statistically more likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thombleached said:

Don't know if it's more likely than it ever was. I'm inclined to think you've got alot more people doing marathons as a challenge rather than having most people there actually ready fit and able to undertake it. 

Or could just be more people doing these things so statistically more likely. 

Yeahbut ... Bernie Clifton was doing them in an ostrich costume at 60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't necessarily think marathons are a great idea but if you took a random sample of 20,000 over 18s  then I reckon several will drop dead from various causes unrelated to marathons anyway. You'll probably find less marathon runners doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I want to say I saw something on this a while ago. Something to do with over-hyrdration. Instead of going with what their body was telling them they bought into the marketing hype and were overdrinking sports drinks.

Just to add this was a while back not in reference to above

Edited by Admiral Pepe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my pic of the Cardiff marathon - a possibly redundant caution (for runners) on one sign, and a rather implausible motivational exhortation on the other...

Marathon01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I want to say I saw something on this a while ago. Something to do with over-hyrdration. Instead of going with what their body was telling them they bought into the marketing hype and were overdrinking sports drinks.

 

Some sports drink supposedly drain the body of magnesium.

Magnesium relaxes the muscles - the heart is a muscle - and calcium contracts it. Not enough magnesium and...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 Kaimes Rd
1 Kaimes Rd, Edinburgh EH12 6DA

https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Kaimes+Rd%2C+Edinburgh+EH12+6DA&ftid=0x4887c663f2b5f89f:0x2830415c0e2878d4

I ran to here last week - then up and down it three times. Then back along through the woods at the top and back along again. Great run. About 9k all in.

Weather was perfect. My energy drink of choice Tennents lager worked great as usual. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ccc said:

1 Kaimes Rd
1 Kaimes Rd, Edinburgh EH12 6DA

https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Kaimes+Rd%2C+Edinburgh+EH12+6DA&ftid=0x4887c663f2b5f89f:0x2830415c0e2878d4

I ran to here last week - then up and down it three times. Then back along through the woods at the top and back along again. Great run. About 9k all in.

Weather was perfect. My energy drink of choice Tennents lager worked great as usual. :D

 

To be frank, real sle is mexnt to be an ideal post work out drink.

And that didnt come from a fat fucker in the pub.

Chuck in sslted peanuts - sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

My theory is people treating a marathon as a 'bucket list' thing that you have to do once and post on social media ect....so they do it without taking a few years to gradually move up to that level of fitness.

However beyond that I just thing long distance running is a stupid thing that causes chronic injuries in many people. Same with many people who go too far with weight lifting their joints are fucked 20 years later.

Your 20 year matches my experience.

Runners, gymies.

Started in their teens, crippled by late 30s.

Body builders are worse. Ive seen some wierd freaks in their 20s become little fat arthretic old men by their 40s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ccc said:

1 Kaimes Rd
1 Kaimes Rd, Edinburgh EH12 6DA

https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Kaimes+Rd%2C+Edinburgh+EH12+6DA&ftid=0x4887c663f2b5f89f:0x2830415c0e2878d4

I ran to here last week - then up and down it three times. Then back along through the woods at the top and back along again. Great run. About 9k all in.

Weather was perfect. My energy drink of choice Tennents lager worked great as usual. :D

 

IMO the key is that you are accustomed to running longer distance as part of your lifestyle.

A lot of folk running marathons or half ones are doing it as a one off type thing for charity or to tick off there to do list. Running long distance is not part of their lifestyle and all it takes is a mix of unfortunate circumstances that result in death for some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More ill-prepared folk buying into the "its for charity innit" active lifestyle trend that they can then brag about on social media, coupled with not realising the risks I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Your 20 year matches my experience.

Runners, gymies.

Started in their teens, crippled by late 30s.

Body builders are worse. Ive seen some wierd freaks in their 20s become little fat arthretic old men by their 40s.

My wee brother started excessive running a couple years back, he gets injured all the time and is paying for physio's and ice baths ect...to help him recover. Not even 30 years old yet.

Yes bodybuiders, esp. those who use steroids in their youth, often are fucked by the time they're in their 50's. When you listen to Joe Rogan and his mates who are exercise fanatics (and he's been on TRT for a decade as well) they casually mention multiple knee and shoulder surgeries, slipped discs ect....fuck that. My Dad's 66 never seen the inside of a gym in great health and has never had issues like that.

I'm taking more exercise than ever but I'm paying close attention to how my body's responding. Don't wanna cause more problems than I solve. My walk to work alone adds up to about 6 hours of brisk walking a month and I think it's the little things like that which add up and keep you healthy over the long run.

Edited by JoeDavola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

IMO the key is that you are accustomed to running longer distance as part of your lifestyle.

A lot of folk running marathons or half ones are doing it as a one off type thing for charity or to tick off there to do list. Running long distance is not part of their lifestyle and all it takes is a mix of unfortunate circumstances that result in death for some.

I don't actually run too far. That was a long one for me. 

When you look at the number of people doing these things. Or even all the local park runs. And the size of some of them - it's incredible so few actually fall over dead. 

These two that died looked in decent enough shape. Just bad luck probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

My wee brother started excessive running a couple years back, he gets injured all the time and is paying for physio's and ice baths ect...to help him recover. Not even 30 years old yet.

Yes bodybuiders, esp. those who use steroids in their youth, often are fucked by the time they're in their 50's. When you listen to Joe Rogan and his mates who are exercise fanatics (and he's been on TRT for a decade as well) they casually mention multiple knee and shoulder surgeries, slipped discs ect....fuck that. My Dad's 66 never seen the inside of a gym in great health and has never had issues like that.

I'm taking more exercise than ever but I'm paying close attention to how my body's responding. Don't wanna cause more problems than I solve.

If these bodybuilder / long distance running type bods combined it with a lot of self massage and stretching. And something like yoga. Their injury concerns would be tiny in comparison imo. 

Most people do almost no warm downs or stretching. Recipe for disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ccc said:

If these bodybuilder / long distance running type bods combined it with a lot of self massage and stretching. And something like yoga. Their injury concerns would be tiny in comparison imo. 

Most people do almost no warm downs or stretching. Recipe for disaster.

Stretching weakens muscles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

IMO the key is that you are accustomed to running longer distance as part of your lifestyle.

A lot of folk running marathons or half ones are doing it as a one off type thing for charity or to tick off there to do list. Running long distance is not part of their lifestyle and all it takes is a mix of unfortunate circumstances that result in death for some.

i did one half marathon when i was 21,i started jogging to loose a bit of weight and to get fitter i used to do tug of war.the guy i did it with regualy jogged with me except id do one 4 mile lap and he would do 2.my extra training consisted of him egging me on to do it with him and im like it will kill me so he just says do one more lap for interest.which i did easily.so i didnt train for the extra distance my one mystake was it was at ashbourne so it was hilly i was used to jogging on flat ground and sweated loads and ended up with red raw nipples which wrecked for a week.

i vowed never again ,i cant remember my time i do however remember my best for 4 miles which was 26 minnutes which i know is not fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.