• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

500 homeless have died this year

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/09/almost-500-homeless-people-have-died-sleeping-rough-in-the-last-12-months-8019269/

The Bureau of Investigative Journalism, monitoring the death of rough sleepers, said the 449 deaths were of those registered as homeless but warned the official death toll could be significantly higher because there is no official definition of homelessness.

They've compiled stories of people who have died on the streets
https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/projects/homelessness/local-stories

They've listed about 15.
So how do they get to their figure?

Local authority Number of homeless deaths recorded
Bedford 1
Birmingham 1
Blackburn with Darwen 1
Bournemouth 1
Brighton and Hove 12
Bristol 5
Cambridge 1
Cardiff 2
Cheshire West and Chester 1
Cornwall 1
Croydon 1
Derbyshire 1
Dudley 1
East Sussex 3
Edinburgh 2
Essex 7
Islington 1
Kent 3
Lancashire 1
Leeds 4
Leicester 1
Leicestershire 1
Manchester 6
Milton Keynes 2
Norfolk 2
Northamptonshire 7
Nottinghamshire 1
Peterborough 1
Plymouth 1
Sheffield 1
Somserset 1
Staffordshire 1
Stoke-on-Trent 1
Swansea 1
Swindon 1
Warwickshire 1
West Sussex 1
Wigan 1
Windsor and Maidenhead 1
York 1

I think the actual figure is 83 but they're claiming they're not adding lots of details because of families request for privacy.

So these homeless people's families are bothered about them now they're dead and a statistic?

I'm calling bollocks on this.

C4 News typically reports extensively on US politics, often filling two thirds or more of the programme, covering minutia of little obvious interest to UK viewers.

Maybe C4 News already pencilled in a date to begin their latest focus on the homeless. Maybe yesterday was a perfect day to use half the programme to report on those out in the cold. It would be difficult to cover US politics after last week, without being positive to Trump, which they would be loathe so to do.

I would like to see C4 News spend far more time on matters relevant to UK, and far less time covering obscure US politics.

Anyway, regardless, C4 News deserve praise for covering the homeless issue so well.

39 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Local authority Number of homeless deaths recorded
Bedford 1
Birmingham 1
Blackburn with Darwen 1
Bournemouth 1
Brighton and Hove 12
Bristol 5
Cambridge 1
Cardiff 2
Cheshire West and Chester 1
Cornwall 1
Croydon 1
Derbyshire 1
Dudley 1
East Sussex 3
Edinburgh 2
Essex 7
Islington 1
Kent 3
Lancashire 1
Leeds 4
Leicester 1
Leicestershire 1
Manchester 6
Milton Keynes 2
Norfolk 2
Northamptonshire 7
Nottinghamshire 1
Peterborough 1
Plymouth 1
Sheffield 1
Somserset 1
Staffordshire 1
Stoke-on-Trent 1
Swansea 1
Swindon 1
Warwickshire 1
West Sussex 1
Wigan 1
Windsor and Maidenhead 1
York 1

My home town topping the league. So proud.

22 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

C4 News typically reports extensively on US politics, often filling two thirds or more of the programme, covering minutia of little obvious interest to UK viewers.

Maybe C4 News already pencilled in a date to begin their latest focus on the homeless. Maybe yesterday was a perfect day to use half the programme to report on those out in the cold. It would be difficult to cover US politics after last week, without being positive to Trump, which they would be loathe so to do.

I would like to see C4 News spend far more time on matters relevant to UK, and far less time covering obscure US politics.

Anyway, regardless, C4 News deserve praise for covering the homeless issue so well.

Well, on that basis, there's far more peole with homes who've died last year.

Who's goign to give them money for drink and drugs?

22 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Wonder how many of the real number are foreign nationals? Like that guy who came over here from Portugal and was homeless and died... why should he be our problem?

You mean the kiddy fiddler who'd already been booted out of the UK ...

Posted (edited)

If they are going to define homeless as including kipping at a mates house then these number are totally useless.

From what I can tell, if you don't own a home or have a lease agreement, you are homeless.

I suppose it helps the narrative.

Edited by Cunning Plan

27 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Bradford would probably be up there, if it weren't for the recycling in to Curries.

:D:Sick1:

17 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Someone murdering them in Brighton?

Good question. It's hardly ever that cold and the sea air is supposed to be good for the constitution. I'm tempted to blame the Green party. Not sure why yet.

Piss heads and druggies on the steets sectioned, from the U.K. put in clean up program and issues dealt with 

If incapable of coping in the community kept in a caring institution for their own good 

If cleaned up and can cope supported living , end up back on the streets back to step one 

Non UK deported and if they come back , prison and then deported again 

The current system helps no one and needs to be scrapped 

ps charities and people giving money to people on the street  , are part of the problem. 

The story did mention that the average age of a homeless person who died was 47. It went on to say that it was half the normal lifespan. Slight exaggeration but near enough.

Looking at the table Sarah posted the deaths aren't noticeable because its mainly one death for each area. If it were as high as Brighton then I'm sure it would be more noticeable. Callous though it may be it simply isn't a big problem. There are far more deaths from accidents in the home I suspect. In fact the home is a very dangerous place in statistical terms.

Posted (edited)

How much does the UK spend on foreign aid again?

We shouldn't be giving a penny abroad until we've sorted out the poor at home. Don't forget that a lot of the homeless are ex-forces as well, so they have served their country.

Edited by Errol

1 hour ago, Malthus said:

Piss heads and druggies on the steets sectioned, from the U.K. put in clean up program and issues dealt with 

If incapable of coping in the community kept in a caring institution for their own good 

If cleaned up and can cope supported living , end up back on the streets back to step one 

Non UK deported and if they come back , prison and then deported again 

The current system helps no one and needs to be scrapped 

ps charities and people giving money to people on the street  , are part of the problem. 

Indeed.

No point compare death rates of the homeless to the homed - bullshit as the 500 figure is.

The actual comparision needs to compared to people with housing who are drinking 2 bottles of spirit of doing liads of smack.

Id expect the death rate there, per head, is lowest on the street.

The B&H dossers probably retired to the seaside or maybe like stokie said they went on holiday and drunk themselves to death. Mind you B&H arent cheap are they.

Trouble is these are absolute numbers of dead homeless people are they not, doesnt make much sense really, as a percentage of homeless in the town then maybe we'd get a better picture, perhaps B&H just has a lot of homeless people in it and 12 is just really a low or average percentage of those cf other great british towns.

Posted (edited)

All of this for the R4 "More or Less" data check programme.  Shame the current series just finished.  They do rip a new one in such a nice way!

They would probably start with "what is homeless" and "what is dead", proceed to how the figure was calculated, and then end on whether the figure is statistically significant viz the general population, etc.  Plus probably something very clever I never thought of!

Pretty much what's happened here!

Not to ignore - homelessness is a social disgrace (albeit a complex issue). 

Edited by Harley