DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Investing for the next cycle - for beginners!

Durabo

3 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Dummy trading is a waste of time in my expereince,it's only when you're trading in cash that you really appreciate the emotions involved.Accroding to IG Index,something like 80% of tradesr lose money.

Clearly not sufficient on its own.  Just like using a new system at work - ideally you get to play first.  Agree, you don't appreciate money until you really lose it!  Oh, I know that really well - a hard but excellent and necessary lesson.  I'm amortising that 2009 loss over the time since and see it as part of my annual training budget! 

Dummy trading is just one more step to take.  Also good for back and forward testing trading systems to ensure you understand their inner workings as they all have their sweet spot/limits.

Is spread betting still tax free?  Used to be because the money was made taxing the spread betting companies and not the punters.  Not my thing right now 'cause I trade the intermediate term and the carry costs can get in the way.  I also don't think I'll make that much to worry about the tax free bit given CGT allowances, ISAs, and SIPPs.

PS.  Fence here so you've probably heard me say most of it before!  I've been watching and reading you naughty short seller!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little insight into how I structure things in order to ensure I've got the big picture nailed before I take any deep dives into specific investments and trades.  I like to know I've got the bases covered and know where I am and why I'm there as I navigate this finance stuff so I don't mix things up. 

Absolutely not advice, each needs to do their own research, make their own judgements, etc.  Everyone should be different.  I'm a bloke on the internet - I may be a total nonce talking total BS!  For illustrations purposes only to make the point about having a grip on the big picture.  Improvements and alternatives welcomed!

I have physically separate funds for each type of investing/trading activity, each layered on top of each other like a pyramid.  I have specific rules and objectives for each fund.  That way, when I go into an account (fund), I know exactly what I'm there for, what I should be doing, and have hopefully allocated (managed) overall funds accordingly:

- At the bottom.  I have a SIPP which contains a specific balanced portfolio allocation designed to protect wealth.  That after all is my retirement fund so the risk and reward, etc reflects that.  In I think WICO(?)'s terminology, I see this as my "floor" fund (designed to meet essential retirement expenses).

- Next up is a low cost ISA containing high yield equities.  This is my high yield portfolio.  Pretty much a buy and hold set up where I'm more interested in dividend yield than growth.  In an ISA to shelter from tax.  It may be in the bank if we had decent interest rates!  Note there is a legitimate debate about whether such a high yield portfolio (HYP) makes sense over just a "total return" (dividends plus growth) portfolio.  I'm watching to see what the performance data says.  Again, the rules, risk and reward, etc reflect the purpose of the fund.

- Next up is an ISA containing funds and investment trusts.  The focus here is on total return and possibly a bit of wealth preservation (analysis in progress).  I have this because maybe the professionals are actually better than me!  Plus they can access markets I can't.   But I pay more for them with their higher fees so my return expectations are higher.  Also a separate ISA to mitigate institutional risk.  Again, the rules, risk and reward, etc reflect the purpose of the fund.

- Next a trading account.  A bit dubious, but not in an ISA because I want to be able to set capital gains off against losses.  That may change.  This is for trading - intermediate term buy and sells.  Profits (oh I dream!) from this fund get skimmed off into my other funds.

Again each fund has it's own set of rules matched to the purpose of the fund.  The rules include buying and selling rules, risk management rules, review frequencies, etc.  We're not talking a lot of money so the fees could be reduced but I'm happy to pay for the clarity.

Again, just an example.

24 minutes ago, Harley said:

Just a little insight into how I structure things in order to ensure I've got the big picture nailed before I take any deep dives into specific investments and trades.  I like to know I've got the bases covered and know where I am and why I'm there as I navigate this finance stuff so I don't mix things up. 

Absolutely not advice, each needs to do their own research, make their own judgements, etc.  Everyone should be different.  I'm a bloke on the internet - I may be a total nonce talking total BS!  For illustrations purposes only to make the point about having a grip on the big picture.  Improvements and alternatives welcomed!

I have physically separate funds for each type of investing/trading activity, each layered on top of each other like a pyramid.  I have specific rules and objectives for each fund.  That way, when I go into an account (fund), I know exactly what I'm there for, what I should be doing, and have hopefully allocated (managed) overall funds accordingly:

- At the bottom.  I have a SIPP which contains a specific balanced portfolio allocation designed to protect wealth.  That after all is my retirement fund so the risk and reward, etc reflects that.  In I think WICO(?)'s terminology, I see this as my "floor" fund (designed to meet essential retirement expenses).

- Next up is a low cost ISA containing high yield equities.  This is my high yield portfolio.  Pretty much a buy and hold set up where I'm more interested in dividend yield than growth.  In an ISA to shelter from tax.  It may be in the bank if we had decent interest rates!  Note there is a legitimate debate about whether such a high yield portfolio (HYP) makes sense over just a "total return" (dividends plus growth) portfolio.  I'm watching to see what the performance data says.  Again, the rules, risk and reward, etc reflect the purpose of the fund.

- Next up is an ISA containing funds and investment trusts.  The focus here is on total return and possibly a bit of wealth preservation (analysis in progress).  I have this because maybe the professionals are actually better than me!  Plus they can access markets I can't.   But I pay more for them with their higher fees so my return expectations are higher.  Also a separate ISA to mitigate institutional risk.  Again, the rules, risk and reward, etc reflect the purpose of the fund.

- Next a trading account.  A bit dubious, but not in an ISA because I want to be able to set capital gains off against losses.  That may change.  This is for trading - intermediate term buy and sells.  Profits (oh I dream!) from this fund get skimmed off into my other funds.

Again each fund has it's own set of rules matched to the purpose of the fund.  The rules include buying and selling rules, risk management rules, review frequencies, etc.  We're not talking a lot of money so the fees could be reduced but I'm happy to pay for the clarity.

Again, just an example.

Great post.

I highlight the bold bit just to emphasise this. People really need to be careful who they read/listen to. Whether it's on the internet or in person. You don't know what their motives are and whether they're actually talking sense or even if they're human at all :D

Be careful of confirmation bias too.

1 minute ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Great post.

I highlight the bold bit just to emphasise this. People really need to be careful who they read/listen to. Whether it's on the internet or in person. You don't know what their motives are and whether they're actually talking sense or even if they're human at all :D

Ta.  I'm not sure I'm actually a total nonce or talking BS but I must fly off now in my space ship, once I've got out of my Br'er Rabbit pam-jams and mummy's said hello!

12 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Great post.

I love that old phrase about 'everyone's talking their book.'

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Clearly not sufficient on its own.  Just like using a new system at work - ideally you get to play first.  Agree, you don't appreciate money until you really lose it!  Oh, I know that really well - a hard but excellent and necessary lesson.  I'm amortising that 2009 loss over the time since and see it as part of my annual training budget! 

Dummy trading is just one more step to take.  Also good for back and forward testing trading systems to ensure you understand their inner workings as they all have their sweet spot/limits.

Is spread betting still tax free?  Used to be because the money was made taxing the spread betting companies and not the punters.  Not my thing right now 'cause I trade the intermediate term and the carry costs can get in the way.  I also don't think I'll make that much to worry about the tax free bit given CGT allowances, ISAs, and SIPPs.

PS.  Fence here so you've probably heard me say most of it before!  I've been watching and reading you naughty short seller!

Spread betting is tax free.

I bet medium term,so you have to be sure you stand a chance of being recompensed for the interest costs,stock borrowing costs and dividends.

42 minutes ago, Harley said:

Again, just an example.

I think separating your various funds is a really good idea,to stop you investing your divi money into PM miners by mistake.

32 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

bet medium term

Can I ask please, do you use spread bets for your shorts or do you use say options?  Fine if you're rather not say.  Thanks though 'cause your comment does make me realise I might want to activate a spread bet account in addition to my standard equity trading account to be able to trade short (and good point about dividend costs if trading short). 

30 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

I think separating your various funds is a really good idea,to stop you investing your divi money into PM miners by mistake. 

My wife does that!

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

Can I ask please, do you use spread bets for your shorts or do you use say options?  Fine if you're rather not say.  Thanks though 'cause your comment does make me realise I might want to activate a spread bet account in addition to my standard equity trading account to be able to trade short (and good point about dividend costs if trading short). 

My wife does that!

I use spread bets these days.My broker stopped doing options recently but options trading is lumpy,illiquid(you can only really trade 30-04 of the FTSE 100) and you only make money if you get the strike price right -aside from writing the options.I've packed in the options now.MvR has a lot of knowledge on US options and I had a good long look,but they are taxable over here and as I say,I really like the functionality I get with IG spread betting.Even today,while I'm psoyting on here,I've adjusted a stop loss or two and am about to open a few more trades.

My plan is to make a bit here and then really put a good chunk on teh Fang stocks taking a bath.I'll leave Apple and Amazon but the others look fair game and that's before you head onto some of the other tips I've had eg Domino's,Denny's,Sbux etc.US stocks are bloated.The UK sjut has a good few that are.

With spread betting,it's tax free and you make money from the off,you can bring in/.out stop losses,work with guranteed stops-I do.Any probs or questions you don't wanna post,just PM me old boy...:ph34r:...and I'll give you my honest opinion/expereidnce

1 hour ago, sancho panza said:

I use spread bets these days.My broker stopped doing options recently but options trading is lumpy,illiquid(you can only really trade 30-04 of the FTSE 100) and you only make money if you get the strike price right -aside from writing the options.I've packed in the options now.MvR has a lot of knowledge on US options and I had a good long look,but they are taxable over here and as I say,I really like the functionality I get with IG spread betting.Even today,while I'm psoyting on here,I've adjusted a stop loss or two and am about to open a few more trades.

My plan is to make a bit here and then really put a good chunk on teh Fang stocks taking a bath.I'll leave Apple and Amazon but the others look fair game and that's before you head onto some of the other tips I've had eg Domino's,Denny's,Sbux etc.US stocks are bloated.The UK sjut has a good few that are.

With spread betting,it's tax free and you make money from the off,you can bring in/.out stop losses,work with guranteed stops-I do.Any probs or questions you don't wanna post,just PM me old boy...:ph34r:...and I'll give you my honest opinion/expereidnce

Should be said that more people wipe themselves out spread betting financial markets than when actually buying and selling the stocks themselves.

They're not entirely sure why, probably something to do with the margin offered by spread bet firms that retail investors might not get elsewhere?

Got a bit of experience in investing in solar and wind...it makes up a quarter of my portfolio.The two big players are Trig ( The Renewables) and Ukw ( Greencoat) both FTSE 250 investment trust companies. Trig can be bought stamp duty free, not sure why Ukw isn't exempt.

Both have been good performers for me with a 6% yield. They are proxy bonds which will do badly in a bull Market but buck the trend in a crash. 

Look to the net asset value premium published by Hargreaves and the moving average for the previous year before buying. Both are trading above their average nav premium and the price is close to annual highs just now in spite of the Equity crash. May not be the best entry point.

22 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I'd really like to see how folks do this and the underlying reasons why funds are separated the way they are, whether it's for tax efficiency or otherwise. Is there a way someone could do a quick summary of theirs and the reasons why?

1 minute ago, azzuri82 said:

I'd really like to see how folks do this and the underlying reasons why funds are separated the way they are, whether it's for tax efficiency or otherwise. Is there a way someone could do a quick summary of theirs and the reasons why?

Sorry, I don't understand.  What didn't my post about my various accounts/funds cover?  Keen to hear as part of the reason for posting was to "get the tyres kicked" a bit.

32 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Got a bit of experience in investing in solar and wind...it makes up a quarter of my portfolio.The two big players are Trig ( The Renewables) and Ukw ( Greencoat) both FTSE 250 investment trust companies. Trig can be bought stamp duty free, not sure why Ukw isn't exempt.

Both have been good performers for me with a 6% yield. They are proxy bonds which will do badly in a bull Market but buck the trend in a crash. 

Look to the net asset value premium published by Hargreaves and the moving average for the previous year before buying. Both are trading above their average nav premium and the price is close to annual highs just now in spite of the Equity crash. May not be the best entry point.

Many thanks for that.  Very interesting.  I've been subscribing to the mails from Abundance (https://www.abundanceinvestment.com) for a while but not taken the plunge and now they are going public or something, plus no SIPP and only recently an ISA.  Your info provides further options.

50 minutes ago, azzuri82 said:

I'm not overly worried about separating too much, however, I'm placing my funds with the most cost-effective option. I'm pretty good with excel so I track everything myself and any divis are getting put back into the company/fund they came from. Additionally, my aim is just to keep adding and not withdraw anything for a long time and will cut down on Sipp once I've hit a level I'm comfortable with, then all ISA from there on out. My LISA and ISA are Global world tracker funds with two different brokers. Sipp is a mix of everything. 

Also just to add a bit more detail:

World Tracker Funds are with different providers

Any other ETF's (I own two) are with different providers

Not too concerned about SHTF and things going bust. If anything I will be just adding more. There's no way to know what will happen and what tricks/bs will be pulled by TPTB. I've ensured through various means whatever may happen I won't go completely broke and I have a few outs/long term options.

I know there's a lot of concerns for the pensions funds, OEIC's, trackers, indexes, ETFs etc. I'm not overly concerned. I've spread a bit of the risk. IMHO if/when there is a run, they will freeze the markets and the Vampire Squid decides on who to save. Luck of the draw but I wouldn't be surprised to see a big name or two go down

35 minutes ago, Harley said:

Sorry, I don't understand.  What didn't my post about my various accounts/funds cover?  Keen to hear as part of the reason for posting was to "get the tyres kicked" a bit.

It wasn't that I didn't understand your particular post, it's that I was hoping to spur others into sharing similar methods of separating funds, and explaining their reasoning behind doing so. 

sleepwello'nights
22 hours ago, sancho panza said:

I use spread bets these days.My broker stopped doing options recently but options trading is lumpy,illiquid(you can only really trade 30-04 of the FTSE 100) and you only make money if you get the strike price right -aside from writing the options.

I have on occasion used options to purchase stocks. I've used a call option to purchase the stock in a few months time. The logic being you receive a payment for the call and it effectively reduces the price you pay. My logic was I was going to buy the stock anyway so it didn't really matter too much what the price would be at the time the option had to be exercised.

2 hours ago, azzuri82 said:

It wasn't that I didn't understand your particular post, it's that I was hoping to spur others into sharing similar methods of separating funds, and explaining their reasoning behind doing so. 

Right you are.  Tidy!

Hi All

Many thanks for all the good threads on this forum - in special the nice thread started by DurhamBorn (DB).

I’ve been trying my best to get an process the information (reading books such as Benjamin Graham, etc), however more I look into it more the paralisis mode  kicks in.

For instance , the ETFs subject.

The consensus from  the “pros” are mostly “… if you don’t know what you are doing, you must go for an ETF…  if you don’t have the disposition to read the companies reports for at least 5 years, you are not the type of person to direct invest in shares, ETF is a must..” etc.

When my little understanding got a “micron” better, I believed that was a “sound advice” , when ever Warren Buffett  had a bet on that , so that seems genuinely good advice, therefore (i’ve thought to myself)  let me “ETF all the way for investiment and try share picking for speculation”.

Apparently , this is wrong  - the consensus around more experienced and now even bigger groups/institutions is challenging the Liquidity  of such ETF instruments in a market crash and the effects that the automated “bots” selling (or trying to sell) when a run for the exit happens.

So , here am I , trying to get this going (i.e. find a proper way to hedge and invest properly, the best as possible one can classify as investing  and “gamble” a bit  - gamble = speculate).

I do sincerely apologies if I am breaking any of the most experienced peoples rules (i.e. written or unwritten rules) , but I honestly would like  to understand if the below are at least reasonable train of thoughts.

WARNING: note that the below compiled information can be wrong or contain significant mistakes and misinterpretations, does not constitute financial or investment advice,  all the capital invested can be lost, please do your own research (DYOR), etc ,etc.

1 - keep any of my investments in any available  tax efficient wrapper - ISA, SIPP, other
2 - look for the money allocation on banks/institutions regarding their safety - i.e. 85k for each individual bank and 50k for the ISA

Investment Ideas (please DYOR):
==========================

3 -  The stock markets are “about to tank” (when? October 2018? February 2019? put your finger  in the air and say when? The Gods of the Matrix may know?), therefore keep the money in cash (if not already invested in any stocks, this would be an acceptable/best place to be or even recommended);

4 - should avoid ETFs completely, if not entirely possible, ditch the Synthetic ones entirely, the ones with lots of bloated stocks (i.e. with the FANGs on them, etc), perhaps keep the well balanced ones (definition needed of well balanced ETF if such exist (?) ) and the ones backed by Physical Metals (Gold/Silver) kept under custody by a “decent bank” (do they exist?) ;
NOTE: Now I believe the ETF is a controversial topic

5 - Get Bonds on the portfolio - ???
NOTE: I need to research/understand more about bonds to try asking about the topic

6 - If one would like to enter/invest in stocks now, the ideas for what I am gathering from the fora are:

a - Investment/(perhaps whit a degree of Speculation?): silver/gold will rocket on the next circle , exposure on it would be good and can have a very high return - specially silver;

ETF backed by phys metal it represents: maybe this is not as bad as other ETFs, should be heavily considered;
              Phys Silver: buy it from on of the online vault companies (for instance Bullionvault) - it will cost you but would be easier to sell latter on;
              Phys Silver: buy and stock it somewhere (at home) - silver is bulky and perhaps not safe to keep a lot at home BUT alway keep some coins;

b - Investment:  buy the stocks that will do well on the next cycle now and keep topping them up when they go lower ( perhaps the stair case approach?) :

I believe some very cleaver people managed to get to the conclusion of what would classify as an industry/industries that will do well on the next cycle.
              I would appreciate what methodology was utilized to get into this conclusion - perhaps I am not capable to spot it even after reading the DB thread and
                other sites (apologies for my ignorance and incompetence) - I would appreciate if anyone could put me on the right direction.

Energy/Infrastructure/Transport
                  Oil:               Maybe consider: Shell (RDSB:LSE), Exxon (XOM:LSE)
                  Utilities:        Maybe consider: SSE (SSE:LSE), Centrica (CNA:LSE), National Grid (NG:LSE)
                  Infra/Telco:   Maybe consider: Vodafone (VOD:LSE), BT (BT:LSE)
                  Transport:    Maybe consider: Stagecoach (SGC:LSE), Go Ahead (GO:LSE)
                  Renewable: Maybe consider: The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited (TRIG:LSE), Greencoat UK Wind plc (UKW:LSE)

c - Speculation (i.e. I personally call it gambling) - this are very high risk but , as in any gambling,  can turn in an excellent profit  OR one can loose a lot or even everything:

Precious Metals (PM) companies (mostly miner companies):
                       - don’t concentrate in a single market (i.e. South Africa or Canada or other  - spread spread spread)

Rubber Band PM stocks (i.e. quick DB Definition of a rubber band list : “Those are miners that have suffered the biggest falls.”)

Name                                          TYPE                Ticker Toronto    Ticker NYSE    Ticker London    Ticker JoB    Country   Company Web Page
Alexco Resource Corp              rubber band    AXR:TSX             AXU:NYSE         0UH1:LSE            -                     Canada    https://www.alexcoresource.com/
Avino Silver & Gold Mines        rubber band    ASM:TSX            ASM:NYSE         -                            -                     Canada    https://www.avino.com/
Eldorado Gold Corp                   rubber band    ELD:TSX             EGO:NYSE          -                            -                     Canada    https://www.eldoradogold.com/
Endeavour Silver Corp              rubber band    EDR:TSX              EXK:NYSE         -                            -                     Canada     https://www.edrsilver.com/
First Majestic Silver Corp         rubber band    FR:TSX                AG:NYSE           -                            -                     Canada     https://www.firstmajestic.com/
Great Panther Silver Ltd           rubber band    GPR:TSX             GPL:NYSE         -                            -                     Canada     https://www.greatpanther.com/
Harmony Gold Mining Co Ltd  rubber band    -                            HMY:NYSE       -                            HARJ:JSE    S.Africa     https://www.harmony.co.za/
New Gold Inc                              rubber band    NGD:TSX            NGD:NYSE        -                            -                     Canada      https://www.newgoldinc.com/
Sibanye Gold Ltd                        rubber band    -                           SBGL:NYSE      -                             SGLJ:JSE    S.Africa  https://www.sibanyestillwater.com/
Tahoe Resources Inc                rubber band    THO:TSX            TAHO:NYSE      -                             -                    USA         https://www.tahoeresources.com/

Other PM stocks (again, high gamble/speculation , but slightly better than the rubber band ones):

Name                                     TYPE    Ticker Toronto    Ticker NYSE     Ticker London    Ticker JoB    Country                Company Web Page
AngloGold Ashanti Ltd       other     -                             AU:NYSE            -                            ANGJ:JSE    S.Africa                https://www.anglogoldashanti.com/
Barrick Gold Corp                other     ABX:TSX              ABX:NYSE         -                             -                     Canada                 https://www.barrick.com/
Eldorado Gold Corp            other     ELD:TSX               EGO:NYSE         -                             -                     Canada                 https://www.eldoradogold.com/
Gold Fields Ltd                    other      -                            GFI:NYSE           -                             GFIJ:JSE      S.Africa                https://www.goldfields.co.za/
Goldcorp Inc                        other      G:TSX                  GG:NYSE            -                             -                    Canada                 https://www.goldcorp.com/
New Gold Inc                       other      NGD:TSX            NGD:NYSE          -                             -                    Canada                 https://www.newgoldinc.com/
Novagold Resources Inc   other      NG:TSX               NG:NYSE             -                             -                    Canada                 https://www.novagold.net/
Yamana Gold Inc                other      YRI:TSX               AUY:NYSE           -                             -                    Canada                 https://www.yamana.com/

Those are my thoughts after trying to digest the info on fora/books/web.

MC

EDIT: edited to improve visibility.

1 hour ago, M.C. UK said:

Apparently , this is wrong  - the consensus around more experienced and now even bigger groups/institutions is challenging the Liquidity  of such ETF instruments in a market crash and the effects that the automated “bots” selling (or trying to sell) when a run for the exit happens.

The algos and bots are trading everything. Won't just be the ETF's. 

2 hours ago, M.C. UK said:

5 - Get Bonds on the portfolio - ???
NOTE: I need to research/understand more about bonds to try asking about the topic

I don't think there is much love for bonds round these parts. I think mostly in part due to their low coupon rate. Do you want bonds/gilts/treasueries as part of modern portfolio theory and/or just a safe haven/return on capital?

A good place to start with bonds is here - http://monevator.com/gilts-uk-government-bonds/

10 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I don't think there is much love for bonds round these parts. I think mostly in part due to their low coupon rate. Do you want bonds/gilts/treasueries as part of modern portfolio theory and/or just a safe haven/return on capital?

A good place to start with bonds is here - http://monevator.com/gilts-uk-government-bonds/

@Admiral Pepe  many thanks for taking the time in reading and  commenting my post.

Without doing my proper home work, my draft (literally and figuratively speaking :D) is keeping gilts/bonds that  would allow protecting the portfolio of investment of the disparities and risk that just "investing" in stocks would or can cause - diversification. Again, from my initial understanding , those would do better in a inflationary environment - what I believe will happen as many commentators, people on this forum, etc believe as well.

On my limited understanding (again, I need to get this right) one could (?) even "actively" play with short maturity bonds and get some  money with certain gains (even if small would still better than any "saving accounts" or crazy opening many current accounts to get that "better interest" paid moving money around to do so - just the thought gives me a headache).

Cheers,

M.C.

@DurhamBorn I have followed you here from "the other forum" after I noticed you disappeared.  Many thanks for your insight and analysis on possible economic events.

I wanted to ask for some advice (with the caveat that nothing is certain), namely:  I know someone who has circa 20k cash to invest and grow in the hope of buying a property.  I have seen you mention silver etc, what would your feedback be to someone thinking of purchasing gold bars and keeping them in a safe place.  Alternatively purchasing silver bars and keeping them somewhere where it won't be taxed.  The concern is inflation is eating away at this money.

Any advice on the above would be appreciated, apologies in advance for the simplistic style of questioning.

1 hour ago, Abu Hashim said:

@DurhamBorn I have followed you here from "the other forum" after I noticed you disappeared.  Many thanks for your insight and analysis on possible economic events.

I wanted to ask for some advice (with the caveat that nothing is certain), namely:  I know someone who has circa 20k cash to invest and grow in the hope of buying a property.  I have seen you mention silver etc, what would your feedback be to someone thinking of purchasing gold bars and keeping them in a safe place.  Alternatively purchasing silver bars and keeping them somewhere where it won't be taxed.  The concern is inflation is eating away at this money.

Any advice on the above would be appreciated, apologies in advance for the simplistic style of questioning.

might be worth asking again on the other thread.

Credit deflation and the reflation cycle to come

Inoperational Bumblebee
On 09/10/2018 at 20:32, leonardratso said:

whatever you do, avoid leverage and spread betting not to mention Foriegn exchange trading.

why?

shares/bond buying and even P2P or even bitcoin/cryptos means you stand to lose up to 100% of what you put in, trading on margin and it could potentially be much more than that.

Usual disclaimers and schtick apply.

Totally agree. You can potentially lose loads if you don't know what you're doing. After ten plus years of playing with these things as a hobby, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Leverage is so tempting because the gains can be proportionally massive, but the losses can be equally massive.
Risking 1-2% of your stack at most on each trade, sensible stops, and taking profits rather than just letting it run are important IMO. That's if you're daft enough to try - I'd recommend you don't.

On 09/10/2018 at 21:14, Bobthebuilder said:

A good start for a beginner is a monthly portfolio builder or such like, a £50 a month drip into say 3 different shares would cost around £6 (3x£50 with £2 fee per trade).

You can also buy funds and many us stocks too like VOD.

Remember though. Stock market investing is boring as hell 99% of the time and scary the other 1%.

If it was me, I'd put the £150 into one share and rotate which one it is, buying the one of the three that's furthest from its target allocation each month. Instantly saving yourself 67% on fees.

On 11/10/2018 at 18:01, Admiral Pepe said:

There are quite a few fans of TLT or IBTL I reckon. Probably not so much as a long-term hold though.

Archived