• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Additional Voluntary Council Tax

Westminster Council gave its top council tax payers, Band H (think @Cunning Plan type people) an option to pay additional tax to support local charity projects and raised a fair bit by it.

Westminster Council proudly has the lowest council tax in Britain combined with a high concentration of millionaires in multi-million pound houses.

And where Westminster leads Cornwall follows.  They are not, however, restricting it to Band H (probably because of their rarity here) but generously to every council tax payer.  We do not proudly have the lowest council tax in Britain and are officially one of the poorest areas in Europe.

Couldn't find a link but council rep on radio this morning confirming that it's happening next year and Cornwall is only teh second to do this.

They will all be doing it in a couple of years.

Then it will become compulsory for Band H.

Then Band G etc.

I can actually see the logic of it in a tourist area like Cornwall where some wealthier second home owners may be happy to toss another £100 a month in the direction of the council...

30,000 people per square mile helps keep down the charge I would have thought. It costs us three times as much but for a band E..£2210. There again population density in the Derbys Dales is 200 per square mile and the bin lorry has got to come up a one in four slope to road's end.:/ I guess we get our monies worth, it's still subsidised out of general tax.15391629470331636488350.thumb.jpg.e220d1016e7911baf655784d6b1afb12.jpg

Edited by crashmonitor

5 minutes ago, eek said:

I can actually see the logic of it in a tourist area like Cornwall where some wealthier second home owners may be happy to toss another £100 a month in the direction of the council...

Though, at the moment, it's not for council funds.  It's for the council to (expensively and incompetently) dole out to local charities and projects of their choice.

And those charities and projects will be: refugees welcome, trans toddlers support groups, foreign culture events etc.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Though, at the moment, it's not for council funds.  It's for the council to (expensively and incompetently) dole out to local charities and projects of their choice.

And those charities and projects will be: refugees welcome, trans toddlers support groups, foreign culture events etc.

I didn't say the money would be put to good use. Although I know of a few departments in Cornwall who would be pushing for the money to go to citizen's advice as due to issues with it's funding the council workers are having to take up the slack - for instance housing are having to do off-record conversations as there is no-one able to provide the appropriate advice...

First link:

10:20

Council taxpayers may be asked for more community help

Tamsin Melville

Political Reporter, BBC Radio Cornwall

Council taxpayers in Cornwall may be asked it they want to pay more on top of their bill to help fund charities and community projects in the county.

It's an idea already being tried in the Westminster area, where wealthier people are asked to voluntarily give more money to fund projects which councils are struggling to pay for, including community transport or charities.

In Westminster, only people living in higher council tax band properties are asked to help, and councillors in the London borough said its community contribution scheme had raised about £400,000 in just a few months.

Cornwall Council said it was to listen to residents' views before making a decision on whether to take its idea any further.

But Cornwall's deputy leader, Julian German, said everyone in Cornwall could be given the opportunity...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-devon-45729175

2 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

You can tell how they have spun it about Westminster that it won't be voluntary for long

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/may/13/westminster-wealthiest-households-failing-pay-extra-tax-community-contribution

The opening word sets the tone:

"Just"

I didn't actually realise quite how much variation there was in CT; even @Cunning Plan would think that £3,358 is a lot.  Nearly £300 a month to get your bin emptied with decreasing regularity and the occasional pothole patched.

Residents in Westminster pay the lowest council tax in the country, with band H payments of £832 a year plus another £588 to the Greater London Authority. In Poole, Dorset, the band H charge is £3,358.

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I didn't actually realise quite how much variation there was in CT; even @Cunning Plan would think that £3,358 is a lot.  Nearly £300 a month to get your bin emptied with decreasing regularity and the occasional pothole patched.

Nope. That is about right.

I could have a nice BMW estate on PCP for that monthly payment and take my own rubbish to the tip.

14 minutes ago, Byron said:

Even my local garage is up to this scam.

When you pay by card, the machine asks if you would like to donate 25pence to some unspecified charity.

Apparently, nobody does.

It's the unspecified that means an automatic refusal.

Anyone who watches the news knows exactly what corrupt political game Save the Children, Red Cross, Oxfam and their fellow travellers are playing.  Not one penny will they ever knowingly get from me.

I happily buy raffle tickets for specified local charities even though I don't actually want 90% of the prizes and wouldn't claim them and sponsor people again where it is local charities; and specifically not BBC Comic Relief or Children in Need.  £15 over the last two weeks (though that is unusually high tbf) so that all adds up.

1 hour ago, eek said:

From my experience the wealthier people are in general the tightest fuckers out there ,this is part and parcel of becoming wealthy 

43 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Council tax is already expensive enough. I only want the bins emptied.

TLDR: Privatise the bins and nationalise the rest of it. Replace council tax with a LVT.

You and most working age people. This misses the two largest areas of spending - education and adult social care which make up roughly one third of council spending each. The bins being emptied amounts to approx 10% of your bill. Whichever way you want to look at it, in any civilised democracy there needs to be some funding for education and adult social care. Whether we overspend on these areas is moot. The issue is how we fund them and I would argue that council tax is a shitty way to do so. Both education and adult social care should be funded centrally. There is no need for local administration of such things. There is no need for local administration of much at all really, it's the 21st century FFS and the UK is geographically a very small country. Centrally administer the funding and have a few regional offices only. No need whatsoever for hundreds of piss-ant empires all over the place.

The problem with council tax is it taxes the wrong thing - tenancy - and is regressive in doing so. A pleb renting a £100K slumbox pays £1000 a year yet someone living in one of their several million pound mansions pays only £3-4K. Make no mistake the council tax is basically the poll tax with a miniscule LVT increment built in, and which bizarrely falls on tenants to pay.

Edited by billfunk

10 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

From my experience the wealthier people are in general the tightest fuckers out there ,this is part and parcel of becoming wealthy 

I would turn this around and say that a lot of people retain a childlike approach to money throughout their life and treat whatever comes in as being like pocket money - it's there for spending.  And sometimes you overspend so you need a loan.

This means that they always need to be earning something and are only able to retire if they can negotiate an early payment of their pension to replace their monthly work pocket money with monthly pension pocket money.

In that situation, which is good for the economy because it ups both consumption and taxes, then the money gets either dribbled or firehosed around indiscriminately depending upon income level.  People who are happy to chuck away a fiver for a takeaway coffee and bun clearly value it so little that they are equally likely to chuck it in a charity bucket without any concern as to which charity it is.  Essex Goose Stranglers would be as good a cause as any.

Their money doesn't literally burn a hole in their pocket but they have no concept of saving any of it, even for a big purchase such as a car or house, because that's what a loan is for.

This describes a lot of people I know and they are pretty much the ideal citizen as far as the government is concerned: pouring in taxes into the exchequer their whole lives on what they earn and buy and wholly dependent upon their next pay cheque coming on when due so they are incredibly unlikely to strike or partake in civil disobedience.

We have rates rather than council tax here.

But the rates charged aren't just related to house size; its a perception of how 'posh' an area is i.e. how much can we squeeze the chumps who live here for.

For example I looked at 2 semi detached houses in Belfast this morning, 3 miles apart (if that). One of them had a yearly rates bill of 2 grand, one had a yearly rates bill of 1300.

The funniest bit is when you have 'posh' apartments that are built beside housing estates (which can happen). You have shoebox flats paying higher rates bills that 2 or 3 bed council houses a few yards away.

So buy the biggest council house you can find if you want to avoid paying rates as much as possible!

Edited by JoeDavola