DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wow that's different

Frank Hovis

I'm finding it hard to define this one.  The best definition is thing that you may hear on a film soundtrack and think "What on earth is that?".  Really distinctive, original, stand out stuff.

This may not necessarily be the whole song - maybe just the intro.

It's easier to say what won't be in it, so orthodox vocals . guitars / bass / drums like The Jam (great band) wouldn't be in it unless they had an experimental period of which I am unaware.

As an example the first thirty seconds, possibly first minute, of this before it morphs into a standard, yet very good, pop song.  Ifirts heard it ina film and thought "What is that?".

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm finding it hard to define this one.  The best definition is thing that you may hear on a film soundtrack and think "What on earth is that?".  Really distinctive, original, stand out stuff.

It's easier to say what won't be in it, so orthodox vocals . guitars / bass / drums like The Jam (great band) wouldn't be in it unless they had an experimental period of which I am unaware.

As an example the first thirty seconds, possibly first minute, of this before it morphs into a standard, yet very good, pop song.  Ifirts heard it ina film and thought "What is that?".

It's hard to take some of those early 80s bands seriously because they look about 14 years old...Depeche Mode also comes to mind. But yep they conceived some incredible original music not least Mad World for TFF.

4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

It's hard to take some of those early 80s bands seriously because they look about 14 years old...Depeche Mode also comes to mind. But yep they conceived some incredible original music not least Mad World for TFF.

I was going to say Queen Bohemian Rhapsody for the operatic multilayered vocals but that's overly familiar for everybody.  The impact when it came out must have been immense, with the recation very much "What is this?".

I remember Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights being similarly noticeable when that came out (1979) as it was unlike everything else coming out then but time and over-exposure has lessened its impact.

Maybe it is the instruments being new, I agree that Depeche Mode were inventive and Vince Calrk's keyboards particularly stood out for their earworm ability.

You could probably say the same about Are Friends Electric? as that actually changed some people's lives.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 17:12, crashmonitor said:

It's hard to take some of those early 80s bands seriously because they look about 14 years old..

Flock of Haircuts

• 3 weeks later...

To pick out really good tracks from movies, which were in themselves quite groundbreaking at the time, is an ask. Try these..

This particular track isn't what I'd call groundbreaking so it doesn't qualify there. I suppose the beauty is in how stripped down it is, and how perfect it was for the film, and that vocal. I'd have thought that Drive probably has one of the best soundtracks of any film ever, one to "see before you die", and this has a certain uniqueness to it - coupled with that flawless live performance - that's really powerful.So powerful this can move me to tears.

You mentioned opening bars..

I thought this was great...

Edit :- Here it is in the film.

I was watching the film and then I "popped" out of it and though "This music is awesome" for this scene and then just dropped back into it.

Had something similar with a film recently, some probably obscure film in which the characters meet the Devil in some kind of basement and flee while this is playing. It's some old classic and distinctive Spanish (maybe Cuban) techno that's probably a bit banging for most, but it fitted that scene perfectly. Can't remember the name of the film though.

It's great when in your mind it all comes together. Unfortunately the only time you notice most music in a film is when it's inappropriate and/or awful.

• 1 month later...

So... Not a film, but I think this qualifies. I first heard it as the cover version by MIA then came across the original. For some reason it just stuck with me. Great lyrics, beautiful synth work, totally stripped back. Enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...
Inoperational Bumblebee

Does it have to be from a film? Or was that just as an example?

If not:

Cocteau Twins 'Blue Bell Knoll'. Someone at uni played this to me and it's stuck in my head ever since.

I'm sure I'll think of more...

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 10:48, Frank Hovis said:

You might like Can:

Failing this Wiki states, "By 1981, Orzabal and Smith had become more influenced by artists such as Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel and Brian Eno."

I think all the good bands listened to each other. I would be extremely surprised if Eno and Talking Heads didn't listen to Krautrock and vice versa.

Archived