• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Northern Ireland bakers - case won!

In a victory for common sense the statement from the Supreme Court matched the DOSBODS collective wisdom.  They did not refuse him service because he was gay; rather they refused to promote a particular cause that went against their personal beliefs.

The president of the Supreme Court, Lady Hale ruled that the bakers did not refuse to fulfil his order because of his sexual orientation.

"They would have refused to make such a cake for any customer, irrespective of their sexual orientation," she said.

"Their objection was to the message on the cake, not to the personal characteristics of Mr Lee."

She added: "Accordingly, this court holds that there was no discrimination on the ground of the sexual orientation of Mr Lee."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45789759

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/supreme-court-victory-for-christian-bakers-in-‘gay-cake-case’/ar-BBObrgq?ocid=spartandhp

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

And that high court judgement would uphold your right not to make swastika cakes.

Would you make them out of mini Battenburgs?

Well they look like the BMW symbol, which is supposed to be a propellor?

nsdap-badge-pin.jpg

2 minutes ago, Southmartin said:

Now we should have a review to find out why the County and High courts handed down verdicts that were the exact opposite.

Then the judges who came to those conclusions need to be suspended pending disbarring

Totally agree

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

In a victory for common sense the statement from the Supreme Court matched the DOSBODS collective wisdom.  They did not refuse him service because he was gay; rather they refused to promote a particular cause that went against their personal beliefs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45789759

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/supreme-court-victory-for-christian-bakers-in-‘gay-cake-case’/ar-BBObrgq?ocid=spartandhp

I keep hoping for a pushback in favour of rationality. Presumably the media will be in complete denial of the bolded distinction, just as they were when the point was so clearly made by the baker's lawyers. 

23 minutes ago, One percent said:

I would hope that those who brought the case would be personally liable for costs 

'Those that brought the case' were the Equality Commission.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

The Equality Commission  a non-departmental public body in England and Wales, .... so that would be the tax payer who will need to cover the £200,000 in legal costs ...... so far. Very little reporting on the Muslim and Jewish cake shops that the gay man also went too.

21 minutes ago, satch said:

The Equality Commission  a non-departmental public body in England and Wales, .... so that would be the tax payer who will need to cover the £200,000 in legal costs ...... so far. Very little reporting on the Muslim and Jewish cake shops that the gay man also went too.

I'm totally assured that the activitist and the Equalities Commission wouldn't actively discriminate against Christians in such a way and that those cases will be in the pipeline even now.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Yip UK taxpayer on the hook as usual 

As previously mentioned on here I’m sure the majority of the LGBT community are happy that they are treated equally these days 

Entrapment like this case is designed to find discrimination where it doesn’t exist imho 

8 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Yip UK taxpayer on the hook as usual 

As previously mentioned on here I’m sure the majority of the LGBT community are happy that they are treated equally these days 

Entrapment like this case is designed to find discrimination where it doesn’t exist imho 

While I'm broadly in favour of the recent ruling (in that they'd been 'pushed too far by someone making a point') I have a feeling that the overturning of the original judgement isn't about this case at all, but about introducing case-law reasons for businesses of any religion to discriminate based on their faith/sensibilities.   In that, it'll probably turn out to be broadly bad for UK society.