DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Crowdfunding Seedrs

DoINeedOne

Been browsing around this site for a few days and wondered if anyone has invested in this kinda thing before or considering it

https://www.seedrs.com

I thought this one was quite interesting https://www.seedrs.com/macrebur2 apparently been laying some roads near Durham

https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/19124/-Plastic-roads-trialled-in-County-Durham wonder if  @DurhamBorn has seen these

In 2013, E-Car Club raised £100,000 from 63 investors on Crowdcube, with a valuation of £500,000. Investors put in an average of £1,500, with the largest investment £15,000, and were reported to receive a return on their investment of three to four times.

A significantly larger success story was Camden Town Brewery, which raised £2.75 million in April 2015 thanks to 2,173 Crowdcube investors and was acquired by Anheuser-Busch InBev in December the same year for a rumoured £85 million.

However, the promising stats and tales of successful deals shouldn’t cloud the fact that, as ever, investment in early-stage companies carries a significant degree of risk. Failures include soap company Bubble & Balm, one of the first companies to raise money via crowdfunding in the UK, which raised a total of £75,000 on Crowdcube in exchange for 15 per cent equity but went bust in 2013 as the first high-profile crowdfunding casualty.

More recently, claims management business Rebus folded in 2016 after raising over £800,000, again on Crowdcube. The company was accused of ‘misleading investors’ with its pitch, as investors were reportedly not told that the company had previously hired restructuring experts due to struggles with cash flow.

Yes - I bought some Revolut shares last year. They're up almost 300%.  The only issue is selling; Seedrs' secondary market operates on a fixed price basis, so you can only transact at a price that is, at the moment, well below what secondary investors would actually be willing to pay if there was true price discovery.

Revolut was a good call. It's becoming the new Monzo, I.e. everyone has one. But Monzo seems to capture the 18-35 demographic whereas revolut seems to be being adopted by all ages. 

Will be interesting to see if revolut can keep it going. Their customer services are shocking. I won't use it anymore since they hid the account limits. They were trailblazers but I suspect will be left behind.

True. The convenience of currency transfers in and app is great though, especially if you're moving through different countries often (as I do for work). That said I seem to remember I had a bit of trouble setting it up and there were a lot of bugs.

I have a Monzo card great little app to it  as well, didn't Revolut also start allowing you to buy crypto via them

Its interesting a few of the companies on here seem like they don't have much to offer but some do, either way maybe it be something i will look into in the future

I also hear bad things about Revolut customer service, but the point many people miss about such outfits is that they have global reach.  Revolut might not be up to much if you're used to HSBC Premier, but if you're in the Philippines, Argentina or Indonesia (or wherever), they offer a ton of services that your local bank won't.

Paypal seem to be offering a lot of the services that the likes of Revolut do. You can now set up to receive payments in multiple currencies and keep them in that currency (before everything got converted back to your main currency). I’d be backing PayPal.

Totally agree CV and I’ve got some PYPL too, but see them as a much longer term bet. Revolut just looked too cheap to pass up during the Seedrs funding round, given their breakneck growth. The only downside was that the investment limit was £1,000, or I’d have gladly had more. I’ll take a profit when proper price discovery becomes available; I don’t plan to hold onto them too long. PayPal, on the other hand, are in a dominant position in a growing marketplace. The only thing that bothers me is their margin, or lack of it.

Archived