DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The first Unexplained Wealth Order

Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

Harrod's must be gutted, it might put some others off.

A woman who spent £16m at Harrods in a decade can now be identified as Zamira Hajiyeva - the first target for the UK's new anti-corruption law.

Mrs Hajiyeva lost a legal battle to stay anonymous after the media argued the public should know the full facts.

Originally from Azerbaijan, she is the wife of an ex-state banker.

She risks losing her £15m home near the London store and a Berkshire golf course if she fails to explain the source of her wealth to the High Court.

Under the terms of the UK's first ever Unexplained Wealth Order, Mrs Hajiyeva, 55, must now provide the National Crime Agency with a clear account of how she and her husband, Jahangir Hajiyev, could afford to buy their large home in the exclusive London neighbourhood of Knightsbridge.

Mrs Hajiyeva's lawyers said the UWO "does not and should not be taken to imply any wrongdoing", by her or her husband. They have applied for permission to appeal against the order.

What is an Unexplained Wealth Order?

A UWO is a new power which has been designed to target suspected corrupt foreign officials who have potentially laundered stolen money through the UK.

Investigators from the National Crime Agency believe there are billions of pounds of dirty money invested in British property - but it is almost impossible to charge the owners with a crime or seize the assets because of a lack of evidence.

The new Unexplained Wealth Orders are an attempt to force the owners to disclose their wealth.

If a suspected corrupt foreign official, or their family, cannot show a legitimate source for their riches, then the National Crime Agency can apply to the High Court to seize the property.

Who are the couple at the centre of this first action?

Jahangir Hajiyev is the former chairman of the International Bank of Azerbaijan.

He was jailed in 2016 for 15 years after being convicted of being part of a major fraud and embezzlement that saw tens of millions of pounds disappear from the bank. Judges also ordered him to repay $39m.

Read more https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45812210

These so called UWOs would be better served on Dave and Diane plebford from the midlands who appear to be spending upwards of twenty five pounds a week in Greggs the bakers yet dont seem to have a job. These scumbags need taking down!!

sleepwello'nights

I'm curious as to why they started to investigate her. Much is made of her spending at Harrods. Did the store make a report under Money Laundering Regulations? 

Why has her purchase of wine been mentioned. It was only £18000, perhaps she was throwing a party. I hope she got a good discount.

4 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Harrod's must be gutted, it might put some others off.

*cough*

22 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I'm curious as to why they started to investigate her. Much is made of her spending at Harrods. Did the store make a report under Money Laundering Regulations? 

Why has her purchase of wine been mentioned. It was only £18000, perhaps she was throwing a party. I hope she got a good discount.

Pah, chicken feed. I spend that on a weekend on my wine bill 

Democorruptcy
13 minutes ago, One percent said:

*cough*

Banker's wife may lose property worth millions.

I did check the most recent threads in Property Prices and the Economy.

Hope your cough improves.

3 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Banker's wife may lose property worth millions.

I did check the most recent threads in Property Prices and the Economy.

Hope your cough improves.

But, but, everything is off topic on dosbods. :P

Archived