• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

F35 grounded

Just now, Admiral Pepe said:

At this rate would have been cheaper for us to build a Nimitz class carrier and just buy the Growler. 

I’ve repped you but have not a clue as to what you are on about. xD

2 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

At this rate would have been cheaper for us to build a Nimitz class carrier and just buy the Growler. 

The word association part of my brain is giving me Lorraine Kelly but I don't know why.

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

haha. Nimitz class carrier is one of the nuclear-powered cities/aircraft carriers. The growler is the latest F18, also known as the Hornet/Super Hornet. Essentially we should have just bought something off the shelf like the Apache and not got involved with this mess. Or at least waited for the yanks to sort it out first xD . Or even just refreshed/modernised the Harrier fleet

Edited by Admiral Pepe

1 minute ago, Admiral Pepe said:

haha. Nimitz class carrier is one of the nuclear-powered cities/aircraft carriers. The growler is the latest F18, also known as the Hornet/Super Hornet. Essentially we should have just bought something off the shelf like the Apache and not go involved with this mess. Or at least waiting for the yanks to sort it out first xD . Or even just refreshed/modernised the Harrier fleet

Ah, ta.  So, what you are saying is that we are also caught up in this mess?  I thought we had gone all in with a European fighter jet? Is that yet another fuckup draining our money. 

Just now, One percent said:

Ah, ta.  So, what you are saying is that we are also caught up in this mess?  I thought we had gone all in with a European fighter jet? Is that yet another fuckup draining our money. 

You wouldn't believe how long this has been draining on our money. I recall one of my dads' friends was working on this project when I just left school  xD. So was likely started before then. I didn't read the article but our f-35s are built in the US so I would assume the same issues. Aren't they currently over there doing some ops? Think i saw an article a while back on us sending over the new carrier we just built was being sent over there.

These F35s are carrier based, VTOL capable, which means verticle take off. Taken a hell of a long time to develop because of that. That's why I said we probably would have been buying one of those US carriers from new and a fleet of already developed carrier capable aircraft. The Eurofighter is land-based and more designed for air superiority. They have different remits. But because we've turned into bit of a joke everything is being shoehorned into all the aircraft. Eurofighter is now being tasked with the role of the tornado.

When we could just buy the superhornet/growler and be done with it xD

5 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

You wouldn't believe how long this has been draining on our money. I recall one of my dads' friends was working on this project when I just left school  xD. So was likely started before then. I didn't read the article but our f-35s are built in the US so I would assume the same issues. Aren't they currently over there doing some ops? Think i saw an article a while back on us sending over the new carrier we just built was being sent over there.

These F35s are carrier based, VTOL capable, which means verticle take off. Taken a hell of a long time to develop because of that. That's why I said we probably would have been buying one of those US carriers from new and a fleet of already developed carrier capable aircraft. The Eurofighter is land-based and more designed for air superiority. They have different remits. But because we've turned into bit of a joke everything is being shoehorned into all the aircraft. Eurofighter is now being tasked with the role of the tornado.

When we could just buy the superhornet/growler and be done with it xD

Thanks for the explanation. 

I remember harrier jump jets as a kid, so why is that so difficult?  Hardly new technology. 

28 minutes ago, One percent said:

It sounds bloody clever what he said I'll rep him, I haven't a clue what it meant either

Western nations have been basically 'encouraged' to buy the F-35. So many Western politicians have been surprisingly eager to buy the most expensive military project ever. Lockheed Martin has done incredibly well out of it.

I wonder if the entire F-35 project will one day be revealed as being part of a massive deep state swamp uncovering.

I suspect this problem is to do with trying to stop Israel using their ones over Lebanon / Syria now that the Russkies have upgraded the Syrian S-300's. If it an Israeli F-35 gets show down then I imagine that countries would begin cancelling their orders bankrupting Lockheed potentially and leaving the US with a 1 trillion dollar bill... and the UK with two wank carriers.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Western nations have been basically 'encouraged' to buy the F-35. So many Western politicians have been surprisingly eager to buy the most expensive military project ever. Lockheed Martin has done incredibly well out of it.

I wonder if the entire F-35 project will one day be revealed as being part of a massive deep state swamp uncovering.

I suspect this problem is to do with trying to stop Israel using their ones over Lebanon / Syria now that the Russkies have upgraded the Syrian S-300's. If it an Israeli F-35 gets show down then I imagine that countries would begin cancelling their orders bankrupting Lockheed potentially and leaving the US with a 1 trillion dollar bill... and the UK with two wank carriers.

Two?  I though we had one carrier without planes. Two?  o.O

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

A trillion to develop a plane holy shit, there must have been loads of corruption type shiyte going on

Seems it is a dodgy fuel pipe - aircraft should be up and running within 48 hours as they replacd the pipes. They think it is a dodgy pipe.

How on earth they get dodgy fuel pipes on the world's most expensive brand new fighters is something to ponder. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Our enemies?  

If we are lucky.

It is probably not the sort of gift to give friends.

We could chuck in some F35s to really piss them off.

Edited by Virgil Caine

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

is it to stop the syrians shooting them down with the s300 which would be a disaster for a stealth plane

So much money and vested interests involved that it is hard to find an independent view whether it is any good or rubbish.

It is slower than many current fighters, has a shorter range than any fighters and can carry less bombs / missiles than current fighter bombers. So they all look very negative.

But it is claimed that its stealth makes it almost invisible and it has a view of the battlefield - on ground and in the air - that is out of a science fiction movie. But if they add extra weapons onto the outside of it, which looks increasingly likely, then it loses all its stealth capabilities.

Make of that what you will.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Our enemies?  

Probably.

Off topic of thread but I have just heard from a couple of confirmed Remainers who have some political contacts and friendships. They have just returned from visiting the European Parliament in Strasbourg and described the incredible amount of trough feeding on expenses and corruption to an extent that they have returned as strong pro Brexiters.

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Thanks for the explanation. 

I remember harrier jump jets as a kid, so why is that so difficult?  Hardly new technology. 

If I recall correctly when the mod issued the specs that became the harrier, Rolls Royce wanted to use a lift engine and a thrust engine. Bristol Siddeley went down the vectored thrust  route as they predicted that a plane in flight mode would essentially be carrying a useless lump of an engine all the time, reducing range and efficiency and making the aircraft very heavy. The Bristol proposal was chosen which put a few noses

out of joint at RR, they obviously never forgot the snub so the F35 has a lift engine and a thrust engine, it seems to be proving the Bristol Siddeley engineers were correct.

1 minute ago, SirGaz said:

If I recall correctly when the mod issued the specs that became the harrier, Rolls Royce wanted to use a lift engine and a thrust engine. Bristol Siddeley went down the vectored thrust  route as they predicted that a plane in flight mode would essentially be carrying a useless lump of an engine all the time, reducing range and efficiency and making the aircraft very heavy. The Bristol proposal was chosen which put a few noses

out of joint at RR, they obviously never forgot the snub so the F35 has a lift engine and a thrust engine, it seems to be proving the Bristol Siddeley engineers were correct.

Are they still around?  

Thanks btw for the explanation. 

6 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Off topic of thread but I have just heard from a couple of confirmed Remainers who have some political contacts and friendships. They have just returned from visiting the European Parliament in Strasbourg and described the incredible amount of trough feeding on expenses and corruption to an extent that they have returned as strong pro Brexiters.

Invite them over here.