• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Can't afford to repair roof

Can they not secure a contribution from the local authority to pay towards some of the repairs?? o.O

(I'm risking some flack for suggesting taxpayers' £ could be spent on it, aren't I? :D )

Otherwise I suppose a small mortgage is out of the question.  :/

If it is genuinely of historic value, well it looks nice anyway, then the obvious solution if for the council to give them the £40k and to then put a charge against the property for this amount plus RPI inflation so that when the property is sold or inherited they get back their money back.

This happens fairly frequently for owners of leasehold flats in council or HA blocks where they cannot afford their share of the repairs - charge for that amount upon the property.

It hasn't sold within rightmove's data 
OL8 3DS

And if they own the cottage next door it's on airbnb

Statutory Address: 
Hathershaw Hall andHathershaw Cottage, Hollins Road, Oldham, OL8 3DS ...

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/9507762

Hey, I’m Bernard!

Manchester, United Kingdom · Joined in November 2015
 Report this user

Bernard and Sandra Marks. We are retired Antique Dealers and live next door to the cottage at Hathershaw Hall, so if you need us we are close by. Although we have travelled extensively in the past we now spend a great deal of time at our farm in Northern Sweden. Next year we plan to invite guests to Sweden. We both enjoy reading and discussing books and music, and in the not to distant past enjoyed the Manchester clubbing scene. Love to meet new and interesting people.

Although we have travelled extensively in the past we now spend a great deal of time at our farm in Northern Sweden

7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

OL8 3DS

Statutory Address: 

Hey, I’m Bernard!

Report this user

Bernard and Sandra Marks. We are retired Antique Dealers and live next door to the cottage at Hathershaw Hall, so if you need us we are close by. Although we have travelled extensively in the past we now spend a great deal of time at our farm in Northern Sweden. Next year we plan to invite guests to Sweden. We both enjoy reading and discussing books and music, and in the not to distant past enjoyed the Manchester clubbing scene. Love to meet new and interesting people.

Although we have travelled extensively in the past we now spend a great deal of time at our farm in Northern Sweden

Brilliant bit of research Sarah.  Maybe one for the comments section?

"As they are having trouble raising the money could I assist by suggesting that they either sell the next door cottage that they also own or perhaps their holiday farm in Northern Sweden?"

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Brilliant bit of research Sarah.  Maybe one for the comments section?

"As they are having trouble raising the money could I assist by suggesting that they either sell the next door cottage that they also own or perhaps their holiday farm in Northern Sweden?"

The bloody cheek of it. Looks like everyone, including the rich, are getting on the begging bandwagon 

Well it should be obvious from looking at it that a roof needs repair, and the £40k cost shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who owns a historic building. And they have friends involved in building conservation? Hmm.

Secondly I don't understand why they are fundraising for the cost when people like that should have enough saved up for rainy days. It's part of owning old buildings that you'll get the inevitable huge repair bill at some point.

The only thing that stinks about it is that until Gideon changed the rules to try to shake off the Tories stuffy image, these sorts of things wouldn't have attracted VAT. I know it's a stereotype that everyone who owns a Listed Building is a millionaire but the reality is for every mansion there are 100s of of Listed Buildings that are 2/3 bed terraced at least in the SE.

5 minutes ago, spunko said:

Well it should be obvious from looking at it that a roof needs repair, and the £40k cost shouldn't come as a shock to anyone who owns a historic building. And they have friends involved in building conservation? Hmm.

Secondly I don't understand why they are fundraising for the cost when people like that should have enough saved up for rainy days. It's part of owning old buildings that you'll get the inevitable huge repair bill at some point.

The only thing that stinks about it is that until Gideon changed the rules to try to shake off the Tories stuffy image, these sorts of things wouldn't have attracted VAT. I know it's a stereotype that everyone who owns a Listed Building is a millionaire but the reality is for every mansion there are 100s of of Listed Buildings that are 2/3 bed terraced at least in the SE.

I agree that they should be exempt from VAT.  As people are providing a service to the nation by maintaining listed buildings close to their original state then they should get some credit for doing that which recognises the increased costs of such repairs and that shoudl be a VAT exemption.

Here's Sir Francis Drake's birthplace near Tavistock, Grade II listed and the roof has collapsed.  It is owned by trustees and they were granted permission to put a temporary roof on but haven't bothered.

The dynamic reponse from those ever vigilant trustees is:

Trustee Rex Buscombe, said: ‘We are aware the roof has collapsed. It is receiving attention.’

Header_2009633_16.91-1024x576.jpg

https://www.metro.news/sir-francis-drakes-birthplace-at-risk-of-being-lost-forever/1243118/

When somebody is good enough to maintain these type of buildings it does seem rude to then charge them VAT.

14 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree that they should be exempt from VAT.  As people are providing a service to the nation by maintaining listed buildings close to their original state then they should get some credit for doing that which recognises the increased costs of such repairs and that shoudl be a VAT exemption.

Here's Sir Francis Drake's birthplace near Tavistock, Grade II listed and the roof has collapsed.  It is owned by trustees and they were granted permission to put a temporary roof on but haven't bothered.

The dynamic reponse from those ever vigilant trustees is:

Header_2009633_16.91-1024x576.jpg

https://www.metro.news/sir-francis-drakes-birthplace-at-risk-of-being-lost-forever/1243118/

When somebody is good enough to maintain these type of buildings it does seem rude to then charge them VAT.

You may be interested in the Hadlow Tower debacle here in Kent which was recently on Mail Online. To summarise it laid empty for years and in serious state of disrepair, until some obscure Trust bought it and renovated it using public money. IIRC they spent £3m or so. The Trust then went bankrupt and its assets were purchased for £400k by a banker who despite initially claiming to want to live there, stuck the tower up for sale for £2.5m.

Now £2m: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65661943.html

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

You may be interested in the Hadlow Tower debacle here in Kent which was recently on Mail Online. To summarise it laid empty for years and in serious state of disrepair, until some obscure Trust bought it and renovated it using public money. IIRC they spent £3m or so. The Trust then went bankrupt and its assets were purchased for £400k by a banker who despite initially claiming to want to live there, stuck the tower up for sale for £2.5m.

i remember reading that one, wouldnt be surprised if the obscure trust was somehow related to the banker in some obfuscated way.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Yes, you've referenced it before.  What odds on the banker knowing members of the Trust socially?

How else would anybody have been able to buy this for £400k in SE England?

44363_LON170110_IMG_02_0000_max_656x437.

Bet the Oldham one will be more than £40k to repair, especially if a conservation officer decides to 'help'. Don't know if replacements will be obtainable for broken stone slates and the roof structure which looks to have sagged badly needs to be very strong to carry all that weight. Expect that climbing plant won't have helped either, don't let them grow above the cills of top floor windows is my rule of thumb.

27 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Bet the Oldham one will be more than £40k to repair, especially if a conservation officer decides to 'help'. Don't know if replacements will be obtainable for broken stone slates and the roof structure which looks to have sagged badly needs to be very strong to carry all that weight. Expect that climbing plant won't have helped either, don't let them grow above the cills of top floor windows is my rule of thumb.

My first thought when seeing it was, why make it so easy for vermin to get into the attic? xD

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

OL8 3DS

Statutory Address: 

Hey, I’m Bernard!

Report this user

Bernard and Sandra Marks. We are retired Antique Dealers

"Our slogan: We buy old junk and sell fine antiques" 

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

OL8 3DS

Statutory Address: 

Hey, I’m Bernard!

Report this user

Bernard

Typical smug fucking rentier scum boomer

10 minutes ago, spunko said:

until Gideon changed the rules to try to shake off the Tories stuffy image, these sorts of things wouldn't have attracted VAT.

I don't think that's right.  Until Gideon changed the rules, alterations to a listed building were zero rated, but, repairs and maintenance were full rate.  The idea was that councils would generally only approve alterations when returning to original spec.  Apparently, the change was needed to bring us in line with the EU.
I also agree that repairs to listed buildings should be zero rated however.  Especially when new housebuilding is zero rated, for some reason.  If we ever build enough houses to satisfy the demand, you'll get a situation where people are abandoning their draughty old halls to the elements.

2 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

I don't think that's right.  Until Gideon changed the rules, alterations to a listed building were zero rated, but, repairs and maintenance were full rate.  The idea was that councils would generally only approve alterations when returning to original spec.  Apparently, the change was needed to bring us in line with the EU.
I also agree that repairs to listed buildings should be zero rated however.  Especially when new housebuilding is zero rated, for some reason.  If we ever build enough houses to satisfy the demand, you'll get a situation where people are abandoning their draughty old halls to the elements.

Alterations is quite a broad word though and could have been interpreted in many ways. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/9206951/George-Osborne-puts-the-fabric-of-Britain-at-risk-with-the-heritage-tax.html

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, you've referenced it before.  What odds on the banker knowing members of the Trust socially?

How else would anybody have been able to buy this for £400k in SE England?

44363_LON170110_IMG_02_0000_max_656x437.

That's one hell of a liability.

3 hours ago, One percent said:

The bloody cheek of it. Looks like everyone, including the rich, are getting on the begging bandwagon 

Shamelessness does seem to have ploughed new depths. 

A gofund me page seems par the course for every moronic holiday maker who falls ill will something or other on their dream carribean holiday...but they could pay the extra 100 quid for insurance.

And morons donate...just look a Alex Salmond. Basic Salary in a year more than many people would earn in a decade, and people are literally throwing money at his grovelling defense fund against sexual allegations.