• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Cluster Flies

Argh! Another problem at my house - the joys of living in the countryside, I have a load of cluster flies in my attic. Maybe 100 or so, and they get into the rest of the house (no idea how). I sprayed them with Raid yesterday and they all died but they're back again today. Aside from buying one of those "cluster busters" is there any way to prevent them?  Had a quick Google and most of the suggestions are just to lump it...

(The Cluster Busters dont have particularly good reviews: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cluster-Buster-Window-Trap-Flies/dp/B00757QZMS

Only thing that seems to have good reviews is smoke bomb: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cluster-Killer-Smoke-Bombs-3-5g/dp/B012D6YZM2/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1539427333&sr=1-5

This stuff is meant for fleas but also seems to nuke all insects:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Virbac-Indorex-Flea-Spray/dp/B00R015AAM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539428838&sr=8-4&keywords=indorex+flea

Its not cheap but it does work well. I used it a couple of years back when we had a flea infestation from the cats. Sprayed the whole house while kids were out for the day. Found lots of dead spiders and woodlice afterwards.

I have some left over which I use to keep the false widows under control.

I've never tried it on flies but it contains permithryn which I believe is deadly to all insects. Takes a day or two to work.

Major problem here.  Talking hundreds or more.  We live surrounded by fields where they hatch from in a sudden change to warmer weather and seek warmth on exterior house walls or inside.

Have the interior roof down atm but sealed with temp plastic sheet.  Still found ways in.  And the noise.  Raided them but big mess.

Can't see how we can have an attic filling up with them and dying so either we will net the roof interior (from Ebay) or have a cathedral ceiling.  Probably the latter.

Or nuke the land around us as nuking house no good as just kills the ones temporarily moving in.  Believe they do not lay eggs or hatch inside the house.

Deffo the worst this year for the last 5 or so.

Get about 4 to 5 swarms a year.  A short sharp annoyance and then over.

Edited by Harley

Another thought, I know a few people with livestock who need to keep the flys under control (horse flies, nasty buggers) and they use those baited bags. Totally gross but effective and have the bonus of trapping the flies in the bag so you don't get a build up of dead insect matter in your loft. Not if they would lure cluster flies but could be worth a go.

Cluster flies only come in to over winter, rest of the time they live outside and I believe they are parasitic and lay their eggs on earth worms - will need to google that and check though, might be thinking of something else.

2 hours ago, null; said:

Another thought, I know a few people with livestock who need to keep the flys under control (horse flies, nasty buggers) and they use those baited bags. Totally gross but effective and have the bonus of trapping the flies in the bag so you don't get a build up of dead insect matter in your loft. Not if they would lure cluster flies but could be worth a go.

Cluster flies only come in to over winter, rest of the time they live outside and I believe they are parasitic and lay their eggs on earth worms - will need to google that and check though, might be thinking of something else.

Hi - are those bags the same as the "red tops" I was looking at?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Top-86757-Fly-Trap/dp/B06Y34JR84/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539613213&sr=8-3&keywords=red+top+fly+trap

Others, similar, listed on Amazon.

32 minutes ago, Harley said:

Hi - are those bags the same as the "red tops" I was looking at?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Top-86757-Fly-Trap/dp/B06Y34JR84/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539613213&sr=8-3&keywords=red+top+fly+trap

Others, similar, listed on Amazon.

Yes, they are the ones.

I just noticed in the amazon comments about the smell - something to keep in mind, they are a bit wiffy!

Might not be a problem in a loft but I guess all depends on ventialation and wind direction.

15 hours ago, null; said:

Yes, they are the ones.

I just noticed in the amazon comments about the smell - something to keep in mind, they are a bit wiffy!

Might not be a problem in a loft but I guess all depends on ventialation and wind direction.

Great.  I don't think they're for the loft but out in the fields and garden.  Nip the buggers before they get near the house.  I love the tone of the comments from those who have clearly suffered too!

16 minutes ago, Harley said:

Great.  I don't think they're for the loft but out in the fields and garden.  Nip the buggers before they get near the house.  I love the tone of the comments from those who have clearly suffered too!

Might be an idea to mount one close to a south facing wall, ideally something a short distance away from the house like a shed or outbuilding.

The people I know who use them for horse flies were told to place them close to a north facing fence/wall, I'll enquire more about that when I see them next (I don't see them very often so it may be a while!)

45 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Not long ago everyone was saying what a ecological disaster the death of all the insects was. :-)

As far as I'm concerned wasps and blowflies could all die and nobody would mind.