• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Just eat. Just Feck off

Anyone ever used these bloodsucking zero value leaches?

Seems they charge a £699 joining fee and then 14% of order value. Whilst adding absolutely nothing 

Which at the end of the day will be paid by every restaurant user, just eat or otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Anyone ever used these bloodsucking zero value leaches?

Seems they charge a £699 joining fee and then 14% of order value. Whilst adding absolutely nothing 

Which at the end of the day will be paid by every restaurant user, just eat or otherwise.

They are all the same coupon companies etc. I really don't understand why they have businesses sign up. Especially since by reading some of these places reviews the customers using "incentives"are some of the most vociferous complainers and critical reviewers.

2 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

They are all the same coupon companies etc. I really don't understand why they have businesses sign up. Especially since by reading some of these places reviews the customers using "incentives"are some of the most vociferous complainers and critical reviewers.

The sign of a cunt. Use a Groupon to get 50% off a meal and then slag off the restaurant anyway. 

Used Just Eat once in my life to order a local Indian takeaway which was absolutely vile and binned it while vowing never to order such shite again. 

14 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

because they know that of ten local customers who were using them, once the delivery firm hits the area, 5 of those customers will lazily just pick from the fast food places that do offer access through the delivery firm.  

9 minutes ago, spunko said:

The sign of a cunt. Use a Groupon to get 50% off a meal and then slag off the restaurant anyway. 

Used Just Eat once in my life to order a local Indian takeaway which was absolutely vile and binned it while vowing never to order such shite again. 

Don't you think group on is just a signal that the place can't sell itself at full price anyway so you are probably just paying true value.

And to be fair you can't blame just eat for the crap food. About as logical as blaming the bloke that printed the menu.

The new one we are seeing from our competitors is  not including breakfast on agency websites. I cannot understand , for the price of a breakfast, why they would give themselves the hassle. To be fair though many customers seem so dense they book anyway and only subsequently realise there is no breakfast included. Read the reviews and there is complaint after complaint over the same issue.

It is a sign of oversupply and an industry willing to eat itself.

There'll eventually be a rationalisation in the area and then Just Eat will disappear.

Edited by dgul

1 minute ago, dgul said:

It is a sign of oversupply and an industry willing to eat itself.

There'll eventually be a rationalisation in the area and then Just Eat will disappear.

As soon as they make a decent profit they will be buggered by Google food or Amazon grub.

5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

As soon as they make a decent profit they will be buggered by Google food or Amazon grub.

More likely they'll be buggered by private equity... 

I excitedly shouted out the idea to my bro in a cafe in Muswell Hill many years ago.  Never did but another customer must have!  Oh well, easy come.  Not sure they're the same as those others but having something tepid from a bag off the sweaty back of a cyclist or whatever would be a new low for me.  Yup, believe it's PE all the way.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

until i got so pissed the week after i reordered on speed dial because i couldnt dial anything else.

hahaha.

Ive no idea what just eat is, have seen the adverts on tv and signs on the road etc and im non the wiser, looks like they just hire geeks on mopeds(who should really be out acid'ing and stabbing), but im quite capable of making my own shite dinner without paying some one else to do it for me and someone else to deliver it and a middle man who just aggregates orders or something or other.

Edited by leonardratso

It's the big gold rush of this present age: trying to be a monopoly linking individual consumers to businesses desperate for custom (an "attention-miner"). In each domain (Uber, Amazon, Rightmove, Just Eat), it's a natural monopoly, and there will only be one winner. Interesting that Amazon and Google have ambitions to be the monopoly connector of people to producers in all domains; the "one ring to rule them all".

The internet has made the industrial mining of individuals' attention possible, but it's curious that the early attempts (when establishing a monopoly was much easier; a gift that dropped into your lap), like AoL or Geocities, didn't come to anything. Maybe there wasn't enough money in on-line business at the time, and no investor was prepared to keep a loss-making monopoly going for long enough to let the business base grow. How they must be kicking themselves now!

Once the bastards have their monopoly, they obviously ramp up the prices: we're starting to see that with Rightmove, and if Just Eat are charging 14%, then they're starting to suck the blood hard. I guess this golden age for the consumer of massive choice and razor-thin margins for the producers will only last as long as there is competition between the attention-miners. Once that scramble for monopoly status goes away, the miner captures all the profits, and squeezes both consumer and producer. It's similar to (but not quite as watertight as) being a landholder; the owner of the "mother of all monopolies".

I suppose there are two possible outcomes: a true democratic government would recognise the threat to its citizens' welfare coming from a natural monopoly, and regulate (or even nationalise) it. A neoliberal government will just get bought out with the profits, and do nothing. That political struggle seems to have been lost before it was even noticed.

I've used them but I have a pathological hatred of phoning companies (I'll walk a mile and a half to place an order at the butcher rather than phone them) and would always check if I could order directly through their website.

I'll chuck myself under the bus here. I've used them regularly over the years. Main reason now is I live in a tiny rural village and it's nice to have a list of companies that will deliver when I need it. 

Admittedly we only use take out when we're desperate, day out with the kids has overrun and not had time to go to the shops etc. Maybe once every 6 weeks. 

First heard of them maybe 8 years ago and it seemed like a really good idea. I was at a mates 30th and before we went out we picked a takeout and then just passed the phone around so everyone could make their choice.

I didn't realise the subs were so high and that genuinely makes me think twice about using them now. 

34 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

I'll chuck myself under the bus here. I've used them regularly over the years. Main reason now is I live in a tiny rural village and it's nice to have a list of companies that will deliver when I need it. 

Admittedly we only use take out when we're desperate, day out with the kids has overrun and not had time to go to the shops etc. Maybe once every 6 weeks. 

First heard of them maybe 8 years ago and it seemed like a really good idea. I was at a mates 30th and before we went out we picked a takeout and then just passed the phone around so everyone could make their choice.

I didn't realise the subs were so high and that genuinely makes me think twice about using them now. 

Yes, it's the subs that are outrageous.

I stayed in one B&B on personal recommendation.  This subject came up and they said that they were having problems because of it as they couldn't afford to run the place after the ?20% cut but bookings were falling off through their not being on it.

I think that the big gap in the market (business opportunity here IT people) is an "ethical" version of such sites that only charges 2% say and advertises that fact.

I'd happily use it for hotel bookings and don't use the current thieves.

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Fast food appeals to the lazy so having a Just Eat app to make it even easier is hitting the target audience.

When I found out that booking.com and similar took something like 20% of the room price for just providing a search engine I made it a principle to use it to find places but would then phone them up and book direct.

If it was one or two percent that would have been fine but 20% is theft and whilst I wasn't paying it I wasn't going to collude in it.

20% seems common. I use shiply for arranging collection of cars on occasion and the drivers have told me how much they get out of it. Thing is I ended up with a collection of numbers from drivers, "call me if you need another collection", and every time I've tried they don't bloody answer!

Or when I've tried hotels directly, they wanted more money than I'd pay through booking.com... (I've even booked a hotel through an aggregator sat in the lobby using the hotels own WiFi because the receptionist wouldn't budge on price and it was significantly cheaper online).

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

20% seems common. I use shiply for arranging collection of cars on occasion and the drivers have told me how much they get out of it. Thing is I ended up with a collection of numbers from drivers, "call me if you need another collection", and every time I've tried they don't bloody answer!

Or when I've tried hotels directly, they wanted more money than I'd pay through booking.com... (I've even booked a hotel through an aggregator sat in the lobby using the hotels own WiFi because the receptionist wouldn't budge on price and it was significantly cheaper online).

Every hotel / pub that I called direct this was my first question and they immediately answered that they would match the online price.

These were generally smaller / independent concerns.

For preference I'd always have a Premier Inn or Wetherspoons which book direct anyway; this is a back up for when there isn't one or where a particular Premier Inn has really put up its prices.

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

^^^^ Been there and does that, hotels seem to have a pricing system a bit like that of airlines - turn up at reception and they consider you a captive purchaser so will charge maximum rate, phone earlier or try booking yourself and you are only a one rung off that level of mug.  

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Every hotel / pub that I called direct this was my first question and they immediately answered that they would match the online price.

These were generally smaller / independent concerns.

For preference I'd always have a Premier Inn or Wetherspoons which book direct anyway; this is a back up for when there isn't one or where a particular Premier Inn has really put up its prices.

Used to be a site called Stillwell which was great for B&B, small hotels, looks like that has gone completely now. Premier Inn is my first choice too, found AirBNB compete ball ache and virtually useless whenever I've tried it and needed it for foreign accommodation.

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Fast food appeals to the lazy so having a Just Eat app to make it even easier is hitting the target audience.

When I found out that booking.com and similar took something like 20% of the room price for just providing a search engine I made it a principle to use it to find places but would then phone them up and book direct.

If it was one or two percent that would have been fine but 20% is theft and whilst I wasn't paying it I wasn't going to collude in it.

have used them in the past, won't now

1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

I'm a Premier Inn guy too. I've stayed in very expensive hotels a few times and never quite understood the appeal except demonstrating wealth and status. I need a comfortable bed for the night, a clean room and that is it. Local BnBs can be hit-and-miss, I have a few I stay in having had good experiences. Sometimes I actually don't want the personal service though and happy to be anonymous in a Premier Inn. I can't stand talking to anybody for the first hour or two of any day, takes me that long for my brain to kick in to gear.

Same. When I've stayed in b&bs they're always really friendly and invite me down for a slice of cake and cup of tea while we chat. It's really nice, but invariably I just want to be left alone.