• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DeepLurker

Deleted threads - PLS VOTE

Deleting threads poll  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How should deleted threads be handled in future?

• Threads should just be locked, never deleted.
    • Threads should just be locked, never deleted, with an explanation why.
    • The OP should be able to delete their thread whenever they want.
    • The OP should be able to delete their thread but only for 24 hours.
    • I don't care, just delete whatever you want!

A small request - I noticed that a few threads got deleted recently.

In the interests of full transparency, would it be possible to record the names of threads that get removed, with a 2 or 3 word summary of the reason (e.g.: "spam")? It really annoyed me when threads got binned on ToS with absolutely no reason given. Felt like a nasty case of overbearing censorship.

Spunko - I realise that this means more work for you, so perfectly understand if you don't want to do it.

Edited by spunko2010 - I have added a poll, please all vote (voting choice is private).

Both threads got deleted when the OP requested it to be deleted as in both cases respectively they didn't like the way the content was going.

I'm not overly sure on the best way to handle this. Ideally I'd lock it with a message saying the OP had asked for it to be closed - with or without a reason, and not actually delete it.

It raises the question, what will happen if the thread is 100 pages long and the OP requests it to be deleted? All that content will be lost.

Any feedback is welcome.  :Old:

And there was a spammer on here yesterday - not sure if they opened spam threads or just posted in existing ones, as I just deleted their account + all posts in one. Thanks to those who reported it. :)

8 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Both threads got deleted when the OP requested it to be deleted as in both cases respectively they didn't like the way the content was going.

I'm not overly sure on the best way to handle this. Ideally I'd lock it with a message saying the OP had asked for it to be closed - with or without a reason, and not actually delete it.

It raises the question, what will happen if the thread is 100 pages long and the OP requests it to be deleted? All that content will be lost.

And there was a spammer on here yesterday - not sure if they opened spam threads or just posted in existing ones, as I just deleted their account + all posts in one. Thanks to those who reported it. :)

Was that the guy selling degrees and certificates and things? Shame he's gone I was working out which ones I wanted.

12 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Aw, that guy- we were going to keep him. We were "helping" him out with his SEO and things. 

I'm glad to read your post above after freaking out about the Protocols of Zion thread being deleted. Can I ask why that one went, and your thoughts on it?

Ps I'm for locking and never deleting.

Is there a way for me to get all my posts easily? It seems to only go so far back, and the full post isn't shown unless I click on it.

Thanks yet again btw!

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding

10 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

I'm glad to read your post above after freaking out about the Protocols of Zion thread being deleted. Can I ask why that one went, and your thoughts on it?

I have no idea what the thread was even about; the OP just sent me a message saying they didn't like the direction it was going so I deleted it. I only read the first few posts, couldn't see anything wrong myself (or make much sense of it), but if the OP wants to delete the content then I personally have no qualms with that. But I understand why others might not like threads disappearing...

Typical, I have the morning off and it all kicks off. :CryBaby:

I deleted that thread because the OP requested it to be deleted, I didn't even read the thread myself. Anyway, I've asked for feedback on this already, on the best way to handle it but since you're all posting here:

A few potential options:

1. Let the OP delete their own thread (forever or for X amount of time)

2. Never delete any thread, just lock it, even if the OP wants it deleted

3. Similar to 2) but to also explain why it's been locked

Any thoughts?

Obviously if I receive a valid legal request then the above may not apply. I'll cross that specific bridge when/if I come to it...

ok, in response to Spunkos questions above.
No 3 would be my choice.
also, move controversial threads to the stealth forum, mainly to protect yourself.  So that you are not having to continually monitor things, members could alert you to threads they feel would be better moved, you then make the decision. 
After a while people will just get used to posting in there 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

And you can access it see from your number of posts :)

Some (if not all, or most) of these "controversial" posts or threads are exactly the ones that need to be out the in the public though, searchable by people outwith our community.

1 minute ago, Carl Fimble said:

Some (if not all, or most) of these "controversial" posts or threads are exactly the ones that need to be out the in the public though, searchable by people outwith our community.

Exactly.

(run out of reps again)

Edit, sorry, I thought you were saying that they should be hidden.  In part, I agree, they should be open to the public, so as to both shed light on what is said (a poster might be more embarrassed to post controversial things if open to all) and also it is through free debate of difficult ideas that we move knowledge and understanding forward.  However, we also need to think how to protect this site and more importantly spunko. so for that alone, I feel that they should be in the stealth forum.  

Edited by One percent

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I tend to agree. Gah, not an easy one is it?

Oh what a wicked web we weave, when we practise to (discuss things freely?)

23 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Spunko - there are a couple of threads of mine where I just spout balderdash that I would like deleting, though is it possible that any threads/posts that show images of me greased up, naked, on all fours with a dog collar around my neck, and a leash held by a man pushing a black glove in my face to sniff it...can those be kept for the future salvation of the history of erotic art?

I look darn good in those.

I think once you've created a thread, and other people have responded, then it takes on a life of it's own. Letting the OP bin the whole conversation just because they brought up a topic or idea first gives too much credit to the starter of a thread, and too little to all the other contributors.

What really wound me up on the old site was when people would leave and throw a strop and get all of "their" content deleted. Including all the threads that they happened to have started. Some of which had been running for years, and dealt with broader themes and issues that somebody else would have created a thread for If that one didn't exist already. 

14 minutes ago, One percent said:

Exactly.

(run out of reps again)

Edit, sorry, I thought you were saying that they should be hidden.  In part, I agree, they should be open to the public, so as to both shed light on what is said (a poster might be more embarrassed to post controversial things if open to all) and also it is through free debate of difficult ideas that we move knowledge and understanding forward.  However, we also need to think how to protect this site and more importantly spunko. so for that alone, I feel that they should be in the stealth forum.  

Spunko is alright, he's Mossad, it's us lot that are needing protecti..

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I think once you've created a thread, and other people have responded, then it takes on a life of it's own. Letting the OP bin the whole conversation just because they brought up a topic or idea first gives too much credit to the starter of a thread, and too little to all the other contributors.

What really wound me up on the old site was when people would leave and throw a strop and get all of "their" content deleted. Including all the threads that they happened to have started. Some of which had been running for years, and dealt with broader themes and issues that somebody else would have created a thread for If that one didn't exist already. 

+1

(OORA)

Edited by Carl Fimble
adding hilarity

12 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I tend to agree. Gah, not an easy one is it?

Oh what a wicked web we weave, when we practise to (discuss things freely?)

Indeed. So glad you're not censorious, must have been a shock to see that Dosbods Censorship thread when you first logged in earlier!

Thanks again for all you have done, and do.

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

+1

Why should the OP have say over every other contributor?

I voted for locking with explanation, and possibly moving to a "Naughty Step" place? Seems best overall.

However I almost voted "delete what you like", as posts and/or threads that contravene the law will have to go, we can't have people (and definitely not Spunko) getting in trouble for them.

My two pennorth on the subject of moderation, thread locking and trolls.

I think that we should be free to post our opinions on here but I would be a bit wary of posting anything that could be construed as incitement to commit a criminal offence. No matter how lightheartedly it was meant there is clearly precidence in this area as seen on page 90 of the 'Explosions at Manchester' thread https://www.dosbods.co.uk/topic/657-explosion-at-manchester-arena/?page=90 where a man was arrested by police for posting on line threats to blow up Tommy Robinson.

A lot of countries with written constititutions permit free speech and freedom of opinion, but that doesnt absolve one completely from the libel and slander laws.

I voted in the poll here, but since I did so, another option has appeared, 'Threads should be locked, never deleted, with an explaination why', which I would have gone for, had it been there. If a reasonable explaination is given, I feel sure that most of us here would feel able to fall into agreement; it was after all, over zealous moderation without explanation that caused us all to come here from ToS in the first place. I dont think that someone should be able to request that a thread be removed, even if they started it. Posters should be aware that what they write on the internet is there for all time, cannot be removed just because they dont like the way that the argument is going, and maybe this will concentrate some minds a bit before they post. What if the person who made the 1st post of a 500 page thread decided to have it deleted? All the content would then also be lost.

Other forums to which I contribute have the facility to save a post as a draft and if I write a post when Ive had a couple, I always use this and then review in the morning, whether what Ive written the night before is really what I meant. Perhaps Spunko, this forum software has this feature?

On the subject of trolls, Frank Hovis has written a few posts in the Welcome thread in which he lists a few posters from ToS who he would not like to see here, calling them out as trolls. In the case of Cybernat, I would agree, with others Im not so sure, but Im sure we would all agree that it is a subjective call there is no hard and fast line between someone who is a troll and someone with whom you just happen often to disagree.

Quit custodian ipsos custodes?

9 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

My two pennorth on the subject of moderation, thread locking and trolls.

I think that we should be free to post our opinions on here but I would be a bit wary of posting anything that could be construed as incitement to commit a criminal offence. No matter how lightheartedly it was meant there is clearly precidence in this area as seen on page 90 of the 'Explosions at Manchester' thread https://www.dosbods.co.uk/topic/657-explosion-at-manchester-arena/?page=90 where a man was arrested by police for posting on line threats to blow up Tommy Robinson.

A lot of countries with written constititutions permit free speech and freedom of opinion, but that doesnt absolve one completely from the libel and slander laws.

I voted in the poll here, but since I did so, another option has appeared, 'Threads should be locked, never deleted, with an explaination why', which I would have gone for, had it been there. If a reasonable explaination is given, I feel sure that most of us here would feel able to fall into agreement; it was after all, over zealous moderation without explanation that caused us all to come here from ToS in the first place. I dont think that someone should be able to request that a thread be removed, even if they started it. Posters should be aware that what they write on the internet is there for all time, cannot be removed just because they dont like the way that the argument is going, and maybe this will concentrate some minds a bit before they post. What if the person who made the 1st post of a 500 page thread decided to have it deleted? All the content would then also be lost.

Other forums to which I contribute have the facility to save a post as a draft and if I write a post when Ive had a couple, I always use this and then review in the morning, whether what Ive written the night before is really what I meant. Perhaps Spunko, this forum software has this feature?

On the subject of trolls, Frank Hovis has written a few posts in the Welcome thread in which he lists a few posters from ToS who he would not like to see here, calling them out as trolls. In the case of Cybernat, I would agree, with others Im not so sure, but Im sure we would all agree that it is a subjective call there is no hard and fast line between someone who is a troll and someone with whom you just happen often to disagree.

Quit custodian ipsos custodes?

Excellent post, thank you.

I also would have chosen that option had it been available.

I went for "Threads should just be locked, never deleted, with an explanation why." but might add that a new topic be added to the stealth forum listing the new locked thread and the reason why so us adults with over 250 posts can discuss it with out the rest of the world seeing us get all bitchy. We would then know the boundaries and the reasons why, as set out by the actual forum members.

This would help us and @spunko2010.

I quite like XYY's suggestion of having two places, one for serious discussion and one for anything goes. I was quite interested to know whether the proctologist of lions was a real thing or not and now I'll never know. No reason why the same subject can't appear in both of course.

Okay, it looks like the popular choice is clear!

I will change it this weekend at some point as it isn't as straight forward as I thought and will need some manual coding... no problem, looks like it's going to rain anyway. :D

So just to clarify for anyone wondering, after Saturday anyone requesting their thread be deleted, it won't be, but instead will be locked with an explanation why it was.... NB: You will still have 60 minutes to edit the thread content.

47 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Okay, it looks like the popular choice is clear!

I will change it this weekend at some point as it isn't as straight forward as I thought and will need some manual coding... no problem, looks like it's going to rain anyway. :D

So just to clarify for anyone wondering, after Saturday anyone requesting their thread be deleted, it won't be, but instead will be locked with an explanation why it was.... NB: You will still have 60 minutes to edit the thread content.

Yay! Thank you Spunko!