• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Roger_Mellie

Numberphile

As a bit of a nerd I started watching the numberphile videos on YouTube. Some great stuff on there. My favourite is this:

Sum of all real numbers to infinity = -1/12. And this isn't mathematical jiggery pokery, it's an actual result with physical meaning. Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Sum of all real numbers to infinity = -1/12. And this isn't mathematical jiggery pokery, it's an actual result with physical meaning. Bizarre.

There are so many strange counter-intuitive to our ape brain results. I also love how complex numbers are used in physics and electronics.

6 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I added up all the numbers I could think of, and it came to 327.

You could sit and add up every number from now until the end of time and you still wouldn't get to -1/12. That's the weird thing about it. 

9 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

You could sit and add up every number from now until the end of time and you still wouldn't get to -1/12. That's the weird thing about it. 

I got to -1/12 straight away because I started counting from the other end.

Seems like a bit of a cheat to me.   The answer to S1 - ( 1-1+1-1+1....etc ) being 1/2 can't be an accurate answer since we never get to "infinity". So averaging the 1 or 0 results sees more like a probabilistic answer that bears no relation to reality.

It's like saying the average human has one ovary and and one testicle, and then extrapolating from that. 

42 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Makes no sense to me,  all the workings after the initial assumption than 1 -1 + 1.... tends to 1/2 are fine, but everything rides on that. Just seems like a trick based on that assumption.

Edit - MvR beat me to it.

Edited by onlyme

47 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Makes no sense to me,  all the workings after the initial assumption than 1 -1 + 1.... tends to 1/2 are fine, but everything rides on that. Just seems like a trick based on that assumption.

Edit - MvR beat me to it.

This is a simplification to get to an answer within a 10 minute video, apparently there are other ways you can get to the same conclusion.

I haven't watched all the video yet, but I'm not a fan presenting this topic like this. It's almost dangerously misleading from what I can see, unless they are explaining the context.

The sum of all natural numbers is a diverging series. Infinite, to me, in any practical sense. 

From what I can see, you can get any answer by manipulating an infinite, diverging series.  

Sum of all real numbers to infinity = -1/12

What does 1-/12 mean? Minus 1 divided by 12? I scraped through O-level Maths but you have lost me already. Imaginary numbers that only mean anything if you are Stephen Hawking.

14 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

What does 1-/12 mean? Minus 1 divided by 12? I scraped through O-level Maths but you have lost me already. Imaginary numbers that only mean anything if you are Stephen Hawking.

It’s an egg. Or maybe a bread roll. Not quite worked it out yet 

28 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Forget the maths. Work on the English.

FEWER ffs.

Most folk prefer 'less' to' fewer'

Supermarket aisles for 'Less than 10 items'

Anglish as (gender neutral pronoun) is spake

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s not preference, it’s bloody grammar. A lifetime’s work to perfect. 

And I contend that languages, particularly English are in continuous (or is it continual) flux.

'Fewer' sounds dated and clumsy.

Anyway, English grammar does not stand up to the brutality of Australian shortening of words, i.e. 'Servo' in Aussie is a service or petrol station etc.

Even in the UK people talk of 'Lecky' and 'Hozzies' (Electricity and Hospital)

And just why do Grammar fans keep going on about Apostrophe Esses?

The only people I have ever heard actually pronounce the s as it should be are North Walians (ask them to say scissors or trousers)

The rest of the world actually speaks an apostrophe Z