• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The one percent imposter. Not what it seems

On 16/10/2018 at 11:25, M S E Refugee said:

My Dad has had his DNA analysed,his parents were both Polish and it came back mainly Polish but also Russian,Hungarian,Czech,Baltic and 1% JEWISH.

He now refuses to vote Labour and "Oy Vey enough already"  has crept into his speech patterns since he found out he was Jewish.

As these types of companies now routinely send off DNA to the feds for cross-referencing, you can now also be sure that your dad isn't a murderer on the run! :D

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2167554-serial-killer-suspect-identified-using-dna-family-tree-website/

On 15/10/2018 at 22:57, Roger_Mellie said:

He he. I had a mate who did one of these. His (supposed) grandad was Italian. It came back with no Italian. His conclusion was that the test was shit. My conclusion was that he should be having a word with his grandma. 

There are some genuinely sad stories of people who need these tests to prove membership of a Native American tribe finding out their parentage isn't what they thought.

Having done one of these things from a sporting point of view I'm quite convinced that the trick to DNA testing is to leave the door open to all sorts of possibilities without doing so in such concrete terms that someone can accuse you of being full of shit. I think they're the scientific equivalent of the stage psychic engaging a member of the audience and saying, "I'm getting a message for you from a strong blonde lady, her name sounds like Mary... Mabel... Miriam... Melinda...", before finally scoring a hit with "Brian".