• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

No beer tomorrow

The guardian excels itself 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/15/climate-change-to-cause-dramatic-beer-shortages-extreme-weather-price

Trouble is brewing for the world’s beer drinkers, with climate change set to cause “dramatic” price spikes and supply shortages, according to new research.

idiots 

Scare:

“If you still want to still have a couple of pints of beer while you watch the football, then climate change [action] is the only way out. This is the key message.”

Truth:

Only about a sixth of the world barley harvest is used for beer – most is fed to livestock.

All in the same article.

These climate change people are like religious zealots; any lie or scare story will do.

Not enough barley? That'll be alright then, these climate change zealots want us to stop eating meat, so what we don't feed to animals we can use for beer!

We are going to need beer because if these Guardian types are ever taken seriously life is going to be pretty miserable!

Edited by Alonso Quijano

1 minute ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Not enough barley? That'll be alright then, these climate change zealots want us to stop eating meat, so what we don't feed to animals, we can use for beer!

We are going to need beer because if these Guardian types are ever taken seriously life is going to be pretty miserable!

Well done for spotting the hole in their argument. You would think that they would make at least some attempt to join it all up. 

My Mother being a country raised girl used to make what she called 'Small beer.' from stinging nettles

and any other weeds.

Packed a huge punch for small beer, but the good thing was that

they used to let us children drink it.

why not feed beer to livestock, then meat would taste of beer. Win win.

I personally would pay big amounts of zimbabwe dollars to see a drunken bull gore a load of stupid spaniards at the top of tower as they tried to throw a drunk donkey off it, or some natives try to bugger a drunk goat.

4 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Britain will be under Sharia Law in 80 years, brewing/drinking beer illegal. Problem solved.

Over my dead body, and the bodies of many others.

This is our country and they can get themselves right away to fuck if they think they can have it.

6 minutes ago, Byron said:

My Mother being a country raised girl used to make what she called 'Small beer.' from stinging nettles

and any other weeds.

Packed a huge punch for small beer, but the good thing was that

they used to let us children drink it.

I wish I was born way back then, it sounds great to me.

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Over my dead body, and the bodies of many others.

This is our country and they can get themselves right away to fuck if they think they can have it.

I am assuming that in 80 years you will be dead, so your statement will literally be true!

1 minute ago, Bkkandrew said:

I am assuming that in 80 years you will be dead, so your statement will literally be true!

Ain't that the truth.

In an inter generational war when one side has no culture to pass on, there can only be one winner.

Don't worry as the So-Called BBC have it in hand. :Sick1:

1 hour ago, One percent said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/15/climate-change-to-cause-dramatic-beer-shortages-extreme-weather-price

Trouble is brewing for the world’s beer drinkers, with climate change set to cause “dramatic” price spikes and supply shortages, according to new research.

idiots 

Ugh.  Lazy is the kindest thing to say about that article

The Guardian dont even make the pretence of serious journalism any more. 

Just another piece of academic 'research' (or should that be soothsaying ),  dressed up with a bit of topicality, masquerading as news.

Anyway no worries for cider drinkers then

Edited by Virgil Caine

9 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Maybe I'll live to be 125 years old though...

No, you're right. If I make it to 80, let alone 100 I'll be doing well!

2 hours ago, One percent said:

idiots 

It's all due to Brexit of course - that and Trump and extreme far right wingers.

2 hours ago, XswampyX said:

But... will the Guardian be around in 80 years? At least they won't have to worry about “dramatic” price spikes and supply shortages. :Jumping:

Barley.thumb.jpg.db2fcbf7bb7a3a4dd5917b13fbcb2465.jpg

Iran seems to be doing great growing it? 

Here :- https://www.statista.com/statistics/272760/barley-harvest-forecast/

There was a website called howlonguntiltheguardiangoesbust.com or something with a giant number in years. I can't remember exactly but it was something like 7 years remaining 

.. unless they find another way to avoid paying taxes and delay it a bit longer. 

https://www.quora.com/When-will-the-guardian-go-bankrupt

17 minutes ago, spunko said:

There was a website called howlonguntiltheguardiangoesbust.com or something with a giant number in years. I can't remember exactly but it was something like 7 years remaining 

.. unless they find another way to avoid paying taxes and delay it a bit longer. 

https://www.quora.com/When-will-the-guardian-go-bankrupt

Leftist have always had remarkably shallow pockets as they are renowned for being all round tight bastards.

The Guardian backed the wrong horse.

6 hours ago, Alonso Quijano said:

Not enough barley? That'll be alright then, these climate change zealots want us to stop eating meat, so what we don't feed to animals we can use for beer!

We can eat Guardianistas and climate change zealots instead. Once we've eaten them all we'll be allowed to eat proper meat again.

Bacon and beer will be saved and all will be well with the World once more.

Never understood this line of argument, surely as the equator and gets warmer so do current inhospitable areas such as Sibera. Just shift production further north. 

So fruit currently grown in North Africa shifts to the UK, stuff we produce in the UK now grown in Norway and so on. 

I would imagine there is currently far more land under ice than is unusable due to hot weather. 

Global warming is a issue for humans, the earth will have no problem adapting. 

The green lobby have a lot to answer for, killing biodiversity, taking space that could be used for other crops - if there is not enough barley in the future there may be other places to look first when other crops are given artificial subsidies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed

Rapeseed oil is the preferred oil stock for biodiesel production in most of Europe, accounting for about 80% of the feedstock,[20] partly because rapeseed produces more oil per unit of land area compared to other oil sources, such as soybeans, but primarily because canola oil has a significantly lower gel point than most other vegetable oils.

UN report warns that a hasty switch to biofuels could have major impacts on livelihoods and the environment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed

The report warns of the impacts on nature: “Use of large-scale mono-cropping could lead to significant biodiversity loss, soil erosion and nutrient leaching.”

EU legislation to promote the uptake of biodiesel will not make any difference to global warming, and could potentially result in greater emissions of greenhouse gases than from conventional petroleum derived diesel. This is the conclusion of a new study reported in a recent article published in Chemistry & Industry, the magazine of SCI.

However, if the land used to grow rapeseed was instead used to grow trees, petroleum diesel would emit only a third of the CO2 equivalent emissions as biodiesel. 

Petroleum diesel emits 85% of its greenhouse gases at the final stage, when burnt in the engine. By contrast, two-thirds of the emissions produced by rapeseed derived biodiesel (RME) occur during farming of the crop, when cropland emits nitrous oxide (N2O), otherwise known as laughing gas, that is 200-300x as potent a greenhouse gas as CO2. 

The results of this analysis should have big implications for policymakers. The 2003 EU Biofuels Directive aims to increase the levels of biofuels to 5.75% of all transport fuels by 2010, up from roughly 2% currently. This will be further increased to a 10% share in 2010, the Commission announced in January 2007.

You need to capture carbon and not use it again to remove it from the atmosphere. 

So harvesting the plants and storing them for hundreds of thousands of years will help. If you can compress and heat them at the same time...

40 minutes ago, gilf said:

Never understood this line of argument, surely as the equator and gets warmer so do current inhospitable areas such as Sibera. Just shift production further north. 

So fruit currently grown in North Africa shifts to the UK, stuff we produce in the UK now grown in Norway and so on. 

I would imagine there is currently far more land under ice than is unusable due to hot weather. 

Global warming is a issue for humans, the earth will have no problem adapting. 

Yes.  I'm afraid that this is however too much of a mindstretch for the propaganda addled brains of climate scientists.

Canada and Russia will have enormous tracts of fertile land arising out of the permafrost; as the deserts expand the permafrost shrinks and vice versa with the fertile band moving up towards the poles and down towards the equator as the planets heats and cools.

People have been on some of these Pacific islands for less than a thousand years; that's the blink of an eye even in terms of how long humans have been about let alone the life of the planet.  If rising sea levels push them off again I'd call that a natural cycle. 

4498936.jpg