• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
gibbon

Single mums demand to live where they want

6 minutes ago, gibbon said:

https://anonym.to/?https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bedminster-gentrification-rent-housing-southville-2112568 

Single mum can't find flat one or two streets away from where she's always lived. We should all feel sorry for her. Blames gentrification and those evil rich cunts getting up at 6am and going out to work. She has £1,000 per month to spend on rent from bennies. I don't know of any single professionals in Bristol who spunk £1k a month on rent. Average take home in Bristol is only £21k. I know lots of professional couples with kids who've had to move 30 miles away just to afford a roof over their head and commute back to Bristol every day in some of the worst traffic in the country. This women can fuck right off. Where's the dad?

Please remind me what the point of working is again?

There isn’t one. 

I do dislike it when people say "to be fair" but I will do it this time.  She doesn't sound like your usual entitled benefits whinger and what she is pointing out is the effect upon indviduals of the government's LHA freezing strategy.

The strategy is sensible - this is what we will pay so you don't get to live in the poshest areas and your rent gets picked up anyway - and it generally acts as curb upon rents running away and the taxpayer lining BTL landlords' pockets as used to happen.

This however is the downside - somebody living in a basement flat in an area she knows well with friends around finds that the rents go up in the area and she can no longer afford to live there.

I have sympathy but the taxpayer is not at fault either so they shouldn't have to pick up the bill.

In Bristol a big complaint is a lot of people coming in from the SE  (white flight, don't blame them) and pushing up prices and changing local areas; this appears to be what has happened here.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do dislike it when people say "to be fair" but I will do it this time.  She doesn't sound like your usual entitled benefits whinger and what she is pointing out is the effect upon indviduals of the government's LHA freezing strategy.

The strategy is sensible - this is what we will pay so you don't get to live in the poshest areas and your rent gets picked up anyway - and it generally acts as curb upon rents running away and the taxpayer lining BTL landlords' pockets as used to happen.

This however is the downside - somebody living in a basement flat in an area she knows well with friends around finds that the rents go up in the area and she can no longer afford to live there.

I have sympathy but the taxpayer is not at fault either so they shouldn't have to pick up the bill.

In Bristol a big complaint is a lot of people coming in from the SE  (white flight, don't blame them) and pushing up prices and changing local areas; this appears to be what has happened here.

Oddly one of my staff moved to Bristol as he couldn't afford anywhere nearer (well, Chippenham to be exact).

I have no idea how he coped with the 200 mile, four hour drive to Surrey every day.

Perhaps this lady could move to Salisbury - seems like they are desperate for tenants in that area.

8 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Please remind me what the point of working is again?

I've had the occasional persual at jobs this week. Finding the will to carry on in my existing role difficult, to say the least. It's not so much about the money for me now, just reading job descriptions/adverts is enough to see there really isn't much point these days xD.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Oddly one of my staff moved to Bristol as he couldn't afford anywhere nearer (well, Chippenham to be exact).

I have no idea how he coped with the 200 mile, four hour drive to Surrey every day.

Perhaps this lady could move to Salisbury - seems like they are desperate for tenants in that area.

I remember my security guard at one company (old guy with a heart condition, the one time there was a break in on a Friday night he knew I was working the Saturday morning so waited for me to arrive and go in first!) had a nice council flat in a quiet area near Victoria station and spent his weekends down at his caravan in Surrey.

I think to be able to live like that these days without the council tenancy you'd need to be on ?£150k.

25 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I've had the occasional persual at jobs this week. Finding the will to carry on in my existing role difficult, to say the least. It's not so much about the money for me now, just reading job descriptions/adverts is enough to see there really isn't much point these days xD.

Same.  I'm so close to throwing the towel in at my current place but unsure what my next move would be.

38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Every single one of my friends left my home town as there was no work. I have no sympathy at all.  She in the main gets to live where she wants (well a slightly cheaper area), all paid for by sap taxpayer. 

9 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Bristol is moving to Wales now tolls are scrapped.

Yeah seems likely, house prices and rent far outstrip the local wages unless you're on bennies or a home county trustafarian. 

7 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Same.  I'm so close to throwing the towel in at my current place but unsure what my next move would be.

Buy a white van, go self-employed, do cash in hand jobs, claim working tax credits/housing benefit. Easily pull in £50k+ 

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

As LHA is a benefit for landlords it should cut by 10% per annum until it is the same as social housing rents, few thousand landlords may go bust but surely that is preferable to bankrupting the country? 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Every single one of my friends left my home town as there was no work. I have no sympathy at all.  She in the main gets to live where she wants (well a slightly cheaper area), all paid for by sap taxpayer. 

Did you read it?  I confess I often opine without reading but in this one the devil (or rather angel) is in the detail:

She moved as a child to this little corner of BS3 where Bedminster and Southville rub up against the River Avon, and attended Ashton Park school.

She left school, got a good job in a solicitors’ office, and moved into adult life but didn’t move far. She’s always stayed close to the Dean Lane area, living in nearby Coronation Road, Stackpool Road and Alpha Road - all within about 200 yards of each other.

Since just before the birth of her baby 13 months ago, she’s had health complications which mean she’s currently signed-off and on ESA - the Employment Support Allowance benefit.

Jade has lived in her home for the past four years, but is being evicted from her basement flat because the landlord wants it as a home for his daughter.

So she was working, and as she's now 33 I guess for fourteen or sixteen years ; and then became ill a year ago.

And she is fully self aware:

'I know I look crap on paper. I’m a single mum with a baby and a cat and I’m on benefits'

So when she was able to pay her way she did so; lives in a basement flat which is hardly most people's choice, and has been there four years, paying rent for three of them, and sounds a model tenant.  I see somebody like her as the person for whom the safety net of welfare was designed: somebody who has worked most of her life until she couldn't owing to illness.

The council has top up funds so could probably tide her over somewhere local for one or two years until she goes back to work and there is no reason to think that she won't.

There are absolutely benefit scroungers to who I begrudge every single penny but she, from my reading of that article, is not amongst them.

2 minutes ago, Malthus said:

As LHA is a benefit for landlords it should cut by 10% per annum until it is the same as social housing rents, few thousand landlords may go bust but surely that is preferable to bankrupting the country? 

This is effectively being done by it being frozen from 2016 - 2020; with presumably further sub inflation rises on the way.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Did you read it?  I confess I often opine without reading but in this one the devil (or rather angel) is in the detail:

So she was working, and as she's now 33 I guess for fourteen or sixteen years ; and then became ill a year ago.

And she is fully self aware:

So when she was able to pay her way she did so; lives in a basement flat which is hardly most people's choice, and has been there four years, paying rent for three of them, and sounds a model tenant.  I see somebody like her as the person for whom the safety net of welfare was designed: somebody who has worked most of her life until she couldn't owing to illness.

The council has top up funds so could probably tide her over somewhere local for one or two years until she goes back to work and there is no reason to think that she won't.

There are absolutely benefit scroungers to who I begrudge every single penny but she, from my reading of that article, is not amongst them.

This is effectively being done by it being frozen from 2016 - 2020; with presumably further sub inflation rises on the way.

I didn’t but it doesn’t detract from my point. I had to move for work.  I brought up two kids whilst working without a support network. I would have stayed in my home town if I could have but there was no work and no bennies. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

I didn’t but it doesn’t detract from my point. I had to move for work.  I brought up two kids whilst working without a support network. I would have stayed in my home town if I could have but there was no work and no bennies. 

There was work though; and she was doing it. The reason she has a problem is illness.

I doubt that many educated people such as yourself and most on here, including me, got a job in their home town as professional jobs now generally sit in the big cities owing to centralisation.

If she had never worked and was demanding to live somewhere that working people couldn't afford then I would have zero sympathy.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There was work though; and she was doing it. The reason she has a problem is illness.

I doubt that many educated people such as yourself and most on here, including me, got a job in their home town as professional jobs now generally sit in the big cities owing to centralisation.

If she had never worked and was demanding to live somewhere that working people couldn't afford then I would have zero sympathy.

I’d want to know what illness.  Myalgia?  

Anyhoo, I got my qualifications later, left school at sixteen and got on my bike as it were. I had no choice and neither did a lot of my friends. 

34 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Yeah seems likely, house prices and rent far outstrip the local wages unless you're on bennies or a home county trustafarian. 

Buy a white van, go self-employed, do cash in hand jobs, claim working tax credits/housing benefit. Easily pull in £50k+ 

£50k+ has to be bollocks, surely??

33 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is. She is demanding she should be allowed to live in a 200 yard radius of where she's always lived in one of the most gentrified parts of the city. She could live in other cheaper parts of the city with £1k a month housing benefit while a single person without a child would get half that which wouldn't get you a 1 bed flat anywhere in the entire city. 

She should count herself lucky and shut the fuck up.

18 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

£50k+ has to be bollocks, surely??

6 minutes ago, Thombleached said:

Only if you have a fair few kids I'd imagine. Single person on TCs would get the square root of FA

Yeah kids do help. Know lads jack of all trades cash in hand will turn down £200 for a quick job if they don't fancy it that day. All driving top line Audis/BMWs (while living in their free council house)

1 hour ago, gibbon said:

Problem is I've got no kids and savings though so I'm entitled to sweet fa.  Don't mind working just hate my role/industry.  Seriously considering getting a low wage stress free job for a while.

2 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Problem is I've got no kids and savings though so I'm entitled to sweet fa.  Don't mind working just hate my role/industry.  Seriously considering getting a low wage stress free job for a while.

Not sure there is such a thing. My mate works on the checkout of a supermarket. They have to scan so many items per minute and there are loads of stupid targets. Another works in a building society and she hates it because they have targets for selling financial products - that’s why they are always trying to flog you something when all you want to do is draw out a bit of cash. 

Loon senior management everywhere. 

As benefit seekers go she doesn't seem too bad. However how many working people can spend £1k a month on rent?

What gets me with the whole benefit system is that people are feckless and they don't seem to suffer for it. IMHO, people that are feckless/ lazy should be given a room in a hostel and that's it. 

I spent 6 months on a boat off the Iraqi coast. I lived in a shared "dorm" and my bed had about three foot of headspace. I honestly don't see why someone that's never worked or contributed to society should get their own house. 

As it is I watch the news and see people that have never worked complain about getting less in benefits. It's not natural justice that lazy people get a similar lifestyle to people that work.

3 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Low wage job does not equal low stress in my experience. As one percent posted above many low wage jobs are target driven. Like slavery really.

My low wage job is stress free but that isn't to say it isn't hard work it is but that's healthy!