• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
choochoo

Twatter - Judge and Jury?

Is being reported that Twitter closed down hundreds of accounts yesterday for sharing the NPC meme.  The claim was that it was 'influencing an election',  Almost all banned were what you would call 'conservative'.

It's a monopoly and needs to be brought to heel by the law in the USA on free speech and conspiracy.

Anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time on forums since the web gained momentum will have seen how debate on some forums is closed down.

For example sometimes a forum will be taken over by some organisation through infuence bought by advertising revenue and sometimes by a plain takeover of ownership etc.  Sometimes they just get hijacked by VI groups.  Then the original free speech is curtailed to suit.

I think what's happening to facebook and twitter etc is just larger scale examples of that and although it might be to some extent tolerated on forums if there's a good alternative to go to it's totally unacceptable when it's large and established international operations as it results in a totally false and fraudulent representation of public opinion worldwide.

With the current lopsided censorship it's easy to see it now being used to fraudulently misrepresent events and even for money making scams and frauds by being able to present a false, unbalanced and one sided version of things.  A bit like the MSM already has done for a very long time in giving its apparently incompetent  "advice" (with what we have discovered more recently some would say it's more likely to be deliberately false advice) on various things including financial matters.

Edited by twocents

Fucking ridiculous isnt it. it's just censorship and guilt by association.

TBF anyone attending any form of public protest should be careful about it.  Now I acknowledge this is self-censorship - but it's just being realistic.

You can support movements in other ways, attending, private donation, spreading the word etc

1 hour ago, twocents said:

Anyone who has spent a reasonable amount of time on forums since the web gained momentum will have seen how debate on some forums is closed down.

People do it to themselves on Fb.
Someone's recently said on Fb: Unfriend me if you're a tory.

Well tbh I don't want someone on my Fb who needs to live in an echo chamber to be happy.

28 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

People do it to themselves on Fb.
Someone's recently said on Fb: Unfriend me if you're a tory.

Well tbh I don't want someone on my Fb who needs to live in an echo chamber to be happy.

Indeed.  Then they'll vote for their same old party and if their party gets elected they still end up with the government - little or no actual difference/change or just some peripheral change.

Stifling debate just helps that almost perpetual process perfectly demonstrated by the mass immigration policies deployed under Labour and then continued seamlessly  under the Tories/Libdem -  despite repeated election  promises to do the contrary by Labour and Tories over the past 18 years or so - and for many years before that.

Edited by twocents

7 hours ago, wherebee said:

Is being reported that Twitter closed down hundreds of accounts yesterday for sharing the NPC meme.  The claim was that it was 'influencing an election',  Almost all banned were what you would call 'conservative'.

It's a monopoly and needs to be brought to heel by the law in the USA on free speech and conspiracy.

made the So-Called BBC ... Why has Twitter banned 1500 accounts and what are NPCs?

This meme really has struck a nerve,

edit: nice to see BBC promoting /pol and /r/the_donald

Researchers from University College London who analysed a huge database of memes discovered the 4chan message board /pol/ and subreddit r/The_Donald were particularly effective.

"We find that /pol/ substantially influences the meme ecosystem by posting a large number of memes, while r/The_Donald is the most efficient community in pushing memes to both fringe and mainstream web communities," the study's authors wrote.

Edited by snaga

8 hours ago, wherebee said:

2nd amendment. For each prominent conservative unconstitutionally excluded from the public square one Twitter exec will die. Twitter = Gab. Sorted.